Establish pair on existing large filesystem copy RRS feed

• Question

• I have tens-of-thousands of files (hundreds of GB) locally and in a remote (LAN) drive that I have kept synchronized with other tools. I'm trying to move to Synctoy to keep it synced instead.  When I create a folder pair for the two locations and hit preview, it says it's going to copy everything from source to destination... "saved 0 bytes".  I understand that it wants to create the metadata etc. for managing the pair, but is there a way to avoid an initial massive copy/overwrite to establish it?  Thanks.
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:40 PM

All replies

• Are these drives all NTFS? We have seen issues when the drives are FAT but if the drives are NTFS - while an initial sync of several GB will still take time to build metadata it will not actually copy these files across as long as the file metadata is identical.

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 1:38 AM
  • Deepa, one drive is NTFS (Vista 64) and the other is a network-mounted NAS device running some embedded OS and Filesystem (XFS perhaps?).  Are you saying the GUI is reporting a large copy will take place, but that it actually won't copy every file?  Or will a binary comparison of every file happen?  In case anyone is wondering why I don't just nail it and re-do it all is because the link between the two is slow.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 1:04 PM