Problem Installing CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• After searching the message boards and finding people that have had a similiar problem as I do but not having much success with an actual result.  I will field this again, to see what people came up with as a solution.

I am running Windows server 2008 Standard R2 with HyperV as my Domain Controller w/Active Directory.   I have a virtual server with SQL Server 2008 Enterprise on it (running good, turned off firewall because of the problems connecting to the Dynamics server).  I have a virtual server with Dynamics CRM 2011, I am trying to install.  Through the initial setup phase, it passes each test and proceeds to installation.

Upon completion, it receives the following error:

"Microsoft Dynamics Server did not complete successfully

Action Microsoft.Crm.Tools.Admin.ProvisionsBusinessAction Failed.

Could not find GUID for server

Global catalog not found in forest "mycompany.local"

From what I can find online, this is a problem with Active Directory.  I have created an OU called MSCRM and the user groups are added without any problems.   The database is created in the SQL Server and everything seems to be ok.  I have turned off all firewalls on all servers because I was tired of dealing with all the blocking, etc (will turn back on after these problems are resolved).

I believe I am in the last stage to make this run but I am not sure where to start with resolving this problem. 

Can anyone help me?

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 7:06 AM

Answers

• This didn't work out as expected.  Doing some of these things only set the server back more with the User Profile service getting screwed up and routing and remote access server not working.  Yes, the server has a lot of problems right now.

I am going to rebuild the server from scratch, I think it really needs it.  I would welcome ideas on properly setting it up (from your experience and not from the book) to accommodate implementing Dynamics CRM and eventually AX using HyperV.

I have an environment that uses Windows 7 but I have 3 Windows XP machines, so I would have to use a mix of IPv4 and IPv6.

I would prefer to use IPv6 but until I get those computers off the network, I will have to wait.

So, I will disable IPv6 and only use IPv4.

BTW:  Thanks for your time on this.  From your responses, you guys are quite knowledgeable on this and it is good to bounce ideas off of true professionals.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:17 AM
  • Yes, reinstalling the server worked!

It took me time to get it all completed but I  rebuilt everything from scratch.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64-bit and made it the Domain Controller.

Once I did that, I reconnected the HyperV machines and loaded Dynamics fresh.

It works great now.

• Marked as answer by Phil_Poole Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:40 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:03 AM

All replies

• Are you installing CRM with domain administrator or domain user?

If you installing CRM with domain user please provide full permissions to the Organization Unit and click retry it will finish installation.

Regards,

Khaja Mohiddin|||||http://www.dynamicsexchange.com/
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Hi Phil - I agree it sounds like your AD is a little out of whack, or possibly the DNS entries. Have you see this post from a CRM 4.0 installation? http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/crmdeployment/thread/9350f84d-ec7f-4b0b-888a-42ee9204c207 - I don't know if the registry key entry referred to here will work for you.

My suspicion is though that even if you get the installation to work you probably won't have a very happy environment. I've installed CRM 2011 and CRM 4.0 in lots of virtual & physical environments similar to that which you describe & I've never seen this error message crop up. Personally I think I'd run some AD & DNS health checks in your environment and see where that leads you. See: http://msmvps.com/blogs/ad/archive/2008/06/03/active-directory-health-checks-for-domain-controllers.aspx  

Paul Dowman, CRM Developer
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:57 PM
  • Your DNS error indicates that the host is using an IPV6 address.  I have encountered issues when using virtual servers and IPV6.  Often the behavior of virtual NICs is not the same as Physical NICs.

Check your DNS zone to see if you have A Records based on IPV4 or IPV6.

I would prefer to use IPV6 but sometimes hardware will not handle the packet sizes of that protocol.

Check your internal firewalls on the servers.

But you could go to a IPv4 network.

To disable IPV6:

To disable IPv6 on all network interfaces on a computer you must create a DWORD 32-bit registry value named “DisabledComponents” in the following registry key branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\tcpip6\Parameters\

value data for DisabledComponents must be set to 000000FF

Try to disable IPV6 on your application and SQL servers first.  If you disable it on the DC you may have DNS issues .

When you ping your application server, you may see a IPV6 response.

Get an IPV4 response on all servers and see if the error is solved.

Hope this helps.

The host fb02b490-2f4d-46c5-8701-f84b751d7634._msdcs.ecme.local could not be resolved to an IP Address.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:23 PM
  • This didn't work out as expected.  Doing some of these things only set the server back more with the User Profile service getting screwed up and routing and remote access server not working.  Yes, the server has a lot of problems right now.

I am going to rebuild the server from scratch, I think it really needs it.  I would welcome ideas on properly setting it up (from your experience and not from the book) to accommodate implementing Dynamics CRM and eventually AX using HyperV.

I have an environment that uses Windows 7 but I have 3 Windows XP machines, so I would have to use a mix of IPv4 and IPv6.

I would prefer to use IPv6 but until I get those computers off the network, I will have to wait.

So, I will disable IPv6 and only use IPv4.

BTW:  Thanks for your time on this.  From your responses, you guys are quite knowledgeable on this and it is good to bounce ideas off of true professionals.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:17 AM
  • Yes, reinstalling the server worked!

It took me time to get it all completed but I  rebuilt everything from scratch.

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64-bit and made it the Domain Controller.

Once I did that, I reconnected the HyperV machines and loaded Dynamics fresh.

It works great now.

• Marked as answer by Phil_Poole Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:40 AM
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:03 AM