Genuine Advantage Activation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Last week I heavily upgraded our computer which (yes!) included a new motherboard.

I attempted to reinstall our old OEM Win XP on the new system. The first time this was successful. After some problems which necessitated the reinstallation of Windows, the old WinXP refused to activate. After reading the EULA and noticing I couldn't install it on a new computer (motherboard), I purchased a new key online through the MS website (Get Genuine Kit).

When I attempted the activation, it was refused (Exceeded max no. times of activation).

I rang customer support and the girl asked me about the Product ID, then gave me a series of numbers to type in (a new Prod. Id?) and presto! It was activated.

However, I now want to sell the old system. What I have now discovered is that my 'new' system currently has the old Product Key, and the product key I purchased on line last week has not been used. That is: Two systems with the same product key.

My question is: How do I get the new product key onto the new computer without reinstalling, and keep the old product key with the old computer?

Oh. And the old COA is stuck on the old computer case.

Regards,

Scott.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 12:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• MasterScott,

Try this:  http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx  to change the new computer to the new Product Key, which is a retail full license for XP Home.

You would want to keep the old computer associated with the OEM license installation of XP Home.

Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:17 AM
  • Thanks Dan.

This worked a treat!

Cheers.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:34 AM
  • MasterScott,

You're welcome!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 2:04 PM
  • Does this apply also to system rebuilds?  We sometimes have to redo a system and use a generic OEM copy with a valid COA on the case to rebuild but the key has to be changed from the one that is on the CD to the one that is on the case.  We want to stay legal and support proper licensing at all times.

Monday, June 4, 2007 6:07 PM
  • Makios,

Should work.  Please use the COA which was originally licensed with the system. 

Stephen Holm, MS

OGA and WGA Forum Manager

Monday, June 4, 2007 10:35 PM