WLOC 2.0 Circle Showing My only Computer Twice RRS feed

• Question

• My Main Computer is now showing up 2 times in WLOC circle Management and it can't be removed how do I fix this?

It's the Hub computer and a second computer

I'm also adding another computer later won't that count as 3 computers ?

Monday, July 16, 2007 12:20 PM

Answers

• The Windows Live Gods are being Nice My 2nd computer removed I'm happy now Reprovisioning my account has happened and the un named techie working my issue fixed it.

Lesson Learned: Thou  shall not mess with things he does not understand Yet 

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:45 AM

All replies

• Hmmm....in my other reply to this topic I asked if it could be removed. I guess this answers that.

I don't think that it will affect the ability to add 2 other computers. I just don't know why it s showing up twice for your system.

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:28 AM
  • The Windows Live Gods are being Nice My 2nd computer removed I'm happy now Reprovisioning my account has happened and the un named techie working my issue fixed it.

Lesson Learned: Thou  shall not mess with things he does not understand Yet 

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:45 AM
  • Glad it is fixed for you. Wish we knew how it happened...  If we don't mess with things which we don't understand, where's the fun?

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 1:41 AM
  • It was a re-install with out removing the wloc circle computer

Then I Re-installed the wloc2.0 wloc circle saw the previous data first computer then I set the same computer as a hub I had 2 hub computers from the same system so wloc circle provision the reinstall settings as a 2nd pc the data and the app got confused.

All I did was contact windows live Id they got a hold one of the wloc team I got a call and he got my permission to remove and re provision the account clearing up the problem.

They also noted to reinstall wloc 2.0 beta make sure the box in the uninstall prompt is left checked for now.Removing wloc circle compters.  

The final build will be able to handle mistakes like I made but for now leave it checked so uninstalling removes the wloc circle data. .

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 2:08 AM
  • Hi Mikro,

Yes, we unfortunately ran into an issue on the OneCare v2.0 Beta servers that was causing remove PC's to fail intermittently for Beta users.  We were able to fix it earlier today--glad to hear it now works for you! 

Regardless of whether the checkbox in the uninstall wizard is checked or cleared, OneCare *should* not display two instances of the same machine.  If you try it out again, please try both cases and let us know if it doesn't work for you.

We appreciate the feedback--thanks for trying out the Beta.

Thanks,

Guhan

Development Lead, Windows Live OneCare

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 4:21 AM
  • Well, I have two computers running 2.0 beta and I show 4 computers when I explore my Network.  I see the two named PCs and then I show two PCs with OC#'s also.  Should I delete two of the computers?
    Friday, July 20, 2007 12:35 PM
  • I would leave them. It may be related to the Circles management. I'll take a look at my network at home tonight.

-steve

Friday, July 20, 2007 4:43 PM
  • Thanks Stephen!  I looked at some other posts concerning these extra computers showing up and it seems that it has something to do with the printer sharing.
    Friday, July 20, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Yep. After I replied I started up a Virtual Machine with 2.0 on it and I see 2 addition devices in the workgroup that have some odd names that are part of my workgroup.

-steve

Friday, July 20, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Yes, Printer Sharing does create an alternate name for your Vista PC with a printer attached. However, the OneCare circle view from within OneCare should not show any duplicates.

Thanks

Neeraj

Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:43 AM
  • Hi Steve,

The OC# names are created for printer sharing to work on vista computers if the printer is attached to a vista machine in the onecare circle. We are looking at making it more readable. But the fact that we create an alias name for the computer is by Design for the feature.

thanks,

-Vikram.

Saturday, July 21, 2007 1:45 AM
  •  NGarg wrote:

Yes, Printer Sharing does create an alternate name for your Vista PC with a printer attached. However, the OneCare circle view from within OneCare should not show any duplicates.

Thanks

Neeraj

Thanks Neeraj - I don't think we see duplicates - in my case, the remote PC showed two icons with OC in front of it - likely printers that are defined on the hub PC which was not on the network when I was looking at the Vista network, but they were in the list.

-steve

Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:06 AM
  •  WLOC-Vikram wrote:

Hi Steve,

The OC# names are created for printer sharing to work on vista computers if the printer is attached to a vista machine in the onecare circle. We are looking at making it more readable. But the fact that we create an alias name for the computer is by Design for the feature.

thanks,

-Vikram.

Hmmm....

In my case, the Vista install was a Virtual machine with OneCare 2.0 on it. No printers. The Host PC for VPC 2007 is Vista. On the physical LAN that I was connected to, I had 4 other computers in the same workgroup - none running OneCare 2.0 besides the VM - and only the Host PC was running OneCare 1.6. There were no printers attached to any PCs on the physical network that were part of the workgroup. I opened the Vista Network Sharing Center and chose to view the devices on the network. All of the PCs online at the time appeared and two OC# entries.

-steve

Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:10 AM
  • Thanks Vikram!  Indeed I only see my named PC's in the WLOC Circle.  The only time I could see the other two computers is when I was viewing devices on my network, so I won't worry about it anymore.  Thanks for the clarification and I think that you guys are doing an awesome job!
    Saturday, July 21, 2007 2:44 AM
  •  WLOC-Vikram wrote:

I have four systems running WLOC 2.0, and all show up with OC names under Network in Windows Explorer. All four have printer sharing turned off, and three of them do not even have printers installed. This pollution of the network list is very annoying.

I would suggest that you create OC names only for systems that do have printers attached and WLOC printer sharing turned on.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 8:51 PM