File removed from home server, folder size not changing RRS feed

• Question

• I started syncing my Virtual PC VMs onto my home server.  I had synced one of my Windows 7 VMs onto the server, which was about 6GB.  I have since deleted it from my harddrive, which subsequently removed it from my home server from what I can tell. 

However, the size of my Shared folder is still, after many days and reboots, about 6GB too high.  Even my Jungle Disk backup software on my home server is giving me errors about that file being too big.  But I am certain that the file is removed from the home server.

I tried remote desktoping into the home server to see if I can find another copy thinking maybe it was a folder duplication thing, but I can't find anything.

Any ideas on where to look? 

Any good tools for seeing the size of directories on the home server to locate it?
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 11:30 PM

Answers

• It's an error on my part.  I was using GoodSync software to backup.  I had the option checked to keep the latest copy of deleted files in an archive folder.  So the location of it wasn't apparent.  When I deleted the 6GB VM file, the sync software archived it on my backup server in it's own obscure directory.

I ran a cleanup operation in GoodSync to clear out the deleted file and I also setup Jungle Disk to ignore the directory when archiving offsite.

I am all good.
    • Marked as answer by hemm11 Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:01 AM
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:01 AM

All replies

• How did you sync the files to the home server - by addressing the UNC path on the server or by using D:\shares or some similar access mechanics to write to the server disk directly?
    The later method may have caused trouble, because circumventing the server shares and directly writing to the file system is messing up with the drive extender component. (In d:\shares on the server are only stored tombstones. Sometimes also 3rd party software doesn't handle this properly, since it doesn't know about the tombstones and the specific methods WHS uses, so you still might find the files in question in D:\shares.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 17, 2009 8:13 AM
  • It's an error on my part.  I was using GoodSync software to backup.  I had the option checked to keep the latest copy of deleted files in an archive folder.  So the location of it wasn't apparent.  When I deleted the 6GB VM file, the sync software archived it on my backup server in it's own obscure directory.

I ran a cleanup operation in GoodSync to clear out the deleted file and I also setup Jungle Disk to ignore the directory when archiving offsite.

I am all good.
    • Marked as answer by hemm11 Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:01 AM
    Saturday, April 18, 2009 1:01 AM