Mediasmart WHS Setup help for dvd and music PLEASE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i just purchased a mediasmart 475 1tb, i have it all set up and seems to be working smoothly for back ups, i moved my mp4 files onto it and it strams my movies ok, but when i try to locate the drive when i rip a new movie its towhere to be found in the network tree? i can open conecter and i can copy and paste files to it but its sparaticaly available in the newwork tree, it shows green , im just really frustrated, i want to stream with it but i dont want to have to rip it to my pc then transfer it it the server, ( a crazy slow process for movies)   any hlp would be soooo much appreciated!!!!  

thanks
    DAve
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:08 AM

All replies

• Honestly, you'll probably get better performance if you rip locally then copy the movie to the server after conversion. But in the application you're using for conversion, you can probably locate the server shares by just typing "\\server".
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:02 AM
  • thanks for the reply, lol where do i type in  \\server ? im not a very fluent computer gu , i only get by with lots of Questons< 2 and the only reason i was hoping to do that is my network seems to transfer at like 10 mbs so a 2-3 gig movie takes a short life time, is there any decent file moving programs to do it overnight maybe?

thanks again
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 3:54 AM
  • So i guess  another Q would be how do i make the HP server stay in my network tree, its only there and available if i have one of the server share files open from the connecter, as  even when i expand the tree from the windows/computer/ tab it only shows my local pc on the network all the time but the server is running ,ok according to the status screen, is there a way to make it stay up there, like my local pc, i think this is my issue with streaming music to my home automation system, but it streams fine off a 1tb mybook usb conecteced to my local pc,...

ugh , so confusing, i wish i had half the computer brains you guys all have
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:23 AM
  • If your network is that slow, ripping from your desktop PC direct to the server will also be that slow.

As for where you would type my previous suggestion, you'll type it where you're selecting the file name you want to save. That should open your server's shares up in the file save dialog, and from there you can navigate to the correct location.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:25 AM
  • superxgoss said:

thanks for the reply, lol where do i type in  \\server ? im not a very fluent computer gu , i only get by with lots of Questons< 2 and the only reason i was hoping to do that is my network seems to transfer at like 10 mbs so a 2-3 gig movie takes a short life time, is there any decent file moving programs to do it overnight maybe?

thanks again

If the ripping software you are using doesn't allow for saving to SMB shares (some software doesn't handle this effectively), try mapping a drive to the server. The drive will show up as an option in the 'save to' dialogue box and will save you the pain of browsing the network even if you can save to SMB shares. You should also be able to set this as your default location somewhere in the options section of the software. Without knowing which specific ripping software you are using, I can't give you the exact steps.

Here's how to map a network drive in XP and Vista. I suggest mapping to the video directory (i.e. \\<servername>\videos) rather than attempting to map to d:\.

If you are having transfer speed problems, I strongly suggest you test the integrity of the first file you rip before ripping several more just to make sure that the network issues won't interfere with ripping directly to the server.

As for copying the files, many times robocopy is faster than anything else.  It's inbox in Vista as a cmd line tool but there's also a GUI available.

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] Windows Home Server Team
    Wednesday, November 12, 2008 1:28 PM
  • I use Handbrake to rip most dvds to mp4 or m4v, if i have an issue , i use clonedvdmobile , i do all this to stream to my apple tv, works great but i was trying to stream line the whole process and have them be safe on the server, currently the mybook works but is very unstable and i worried  i will loose all my media one of these days, i will check out your sugestios and any more are great, thatks a million

Dave
    Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:40 AM