none
script error when trying to Preview a thread RRS feed

• Question

• I've been encountering script errors more and more in the forums the last week or two or more. And now I'm consistently experiencing this script error when I try to preview one particular thread. When I preview others on the same page, the preview works fine. 

The thread that is giving me a script error when I click preview is in the General forum at http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/general/threads/ and is the thread titled:

Will Expression Studio be available to MSDN subscribers?(preview)by moondaddy on

When I click preview for that particular thread, the yellow exclamation icon appears in the lower left corner of the browser, and if I open that, the error points to Line 2, char: 29153, error: unknown runtime error, code: 0, url: http://forums.expression.microsoft.com/en-US/general/threads/ 

bizarre. Anyway, I'm getting that same problem intermittently at other times in other places too.  In the case of this thread, I tried closing all browsers and relaunching, and other silly stuff like clicking preview for other threads. but it's always that thread that gives me the error.

Anna
    http://blogs.msdn.com/anna | Expression Web l Standards Based Web Authoring
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:40 PM

Answers

•  I did some debugging, in general this issue would be caused by unexpected html elements in the message. In this particular case it's caused by the post by moondaddy on 5/6/2008. In that post are two LI entries that are not inside of a UL. "Expresion Blend 2 (x86) - DVD (English)" and "Expresion Web 2 (x86) - DVD (English)". Interestingly, Firefox is more forgiving than IE and preview still functions.

Anna, you could resolve the issue on this post by editing it (switch to HTML Editor mode) and either removing the LI's or surrounding them with a UL.

From our side, I'll be looking at ways of mitigating this in a future release but I'd recommend the above as an immediate workaround.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Friday, May 9, 2008 5:39 PM
  • This script issue appears to be fixed (by various updates over 3+ years).

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:27 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Anna,

Same result here (XP Pro-SP3) 

>>The error points to Line 2, char: 29153, error: unknown runtime error, code: 0.  I tried many previews and it seems to be just that thread. 

Cheers,
    ~Fred
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 6:26 PM
  • Thanks Anna and Fred. I was able to repro on IE7, seems to work fine in Firefox though. In any event, I will try to debug it tomorrow and keep you posted.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Thursday, May 8, 2008 3:36 AM
  •  I did some debugging, in general this issue would be caused by unexpected html elements in the message. In this particular case it's caused by the post by moondaddy on 5/6/2008. In that post are two LI entries that are not inside of a UL. "Expresion Blend 2 (x86) - DVD (English)" and "Expresion Web 2 (x86) - DVD (English)". Interestingly, Firefox is more forgiving than IE and preview still functions.

Anna, you could resolve the issue on this post by editing it (switch to HTML Editor mode) and either removing the LI's or surrounding them with a UL.

From our side, I'll be looking at ways of mitigating this in a future release but I'd recommend the above as an immediate workaround.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Friday, May 9, 2008 5:39 PM
  • This script issue appears to be fixed (by various updates over 3+ years).

Ed Price a.k.a User Ed, Microsoft Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 8:27 PM
    Owner