WHS and RAID RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I got a Tranquil SBS. This WHS platform offers 3 RAID bays and 2 non-RAID bays. I had 2 disks in the RAID bays to mirror, but WHS wouldn´t install. So now th eplan is WHS on a HD in the non-RAID bay and 2 disks in the RAID bays. How do I tell WHS to use the disks in the RAID array for storage?

Not much use in duplicating to a RAID....

cu
    -pete
    • Edited by petetoo Monday, June 15, 2009 1:20 AM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    I got a Tranquil SBS. This WHS platform offers 3 RAID bays and 2 non-RAID bays. I had 2 disks in the RAID bays to mirror, but WHS wouldn´t install. So now th eplan is WHS on a HD in the non-RAID bay and 2 disks in the RAID bays. How do I tell WHS to use the disks in the RAID array for storage?

Not much use in duplicating to a RAID....

cu
    -pete

First, RAID is not supported on WHS.  However, if you really want to use it anyway (which I would not recommend), you would have to present the hard drives to WHS at the hardware level (because WHS will format each drive once you add it to the storage pool).
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Tranquil will be your best source of information regarding your hardware and how to configure it. I assume you've got their BBS2 barebones server?

In general, though, you can't tell Windows Home Server to use a specific drive for a particular purpose. It will use the first drive presented in the BIOS as the system drive, and will use any other drives in the storage pool. So you'll need to figure out how to get the drive you want to install on to appear as the "first" drive. regarding the RAID array you wanted to isntall on, did you create the array before installation? This is required, as an array is not generally created automatically just because there are drives connected.

Also, I'll note that Windows Home Server installed on a server with a RAID array is not a supported configuration.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, June 15, 2009 3:26 PM