Business Process Flows - customize formatting, rows, width RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have modified an existing Business Process Flow, being Lead to Opportunity. However, I have up to 12 steps in around 8 stages and the area for descriptions is very limited. I have 4 columns of 3 rows of fields and they do not expand across the page. Seems to be set to about 1350 pixels in total for the 4 columns

Is there a way to change the way the business process flow flyout dialog appears? perhaps by editing a css?

I would like to increase the number of rows of stages to more than 3, and widen the field areas.

I have found this web resource in the system which may be useful, is this the one to edit?

/tiny_mce/themes/advanced/skins/default/dialog.css

Interesting lines are: 

#plugintable {width:96%; margin-top:10px;}
    #pluginscontainer {height:290px; overflow:auto;}

I also found some lines in flyoutdialog.css.aspx but I think this sits on the server side and cannot be edited.

Also we are only on CRM 2013 on-line so perhaps what I would like to do is not possible. I believe that would be an unsupported customisation, is that correct?

Look forward to responses.

Thank you.

• Edited by Gembino Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:38 AM spelling
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 2:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Gembino,

Unfortunately you are correct in thinking that it is an unsupported customization.

Because you are using CRM online, you will not be able to directly access the css files.

What you can do however is write some javascript code that runs onLoad of your form(/s) that will modify the css.

Again this will be unsupported and is likely to break with any new major release of CRM, so use this sparingly.

~ Atomic Coder

• Marked as answer by Gembino Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:40 AM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Gembino,

Unfortunately you are correct in thinking that it is an unsupported customization.

Because you are using CRM online, you will not be able to directly access the css files.

What you can do however is write some javascript code that runs onLoad of your form(/s) that will modify the css.

Again this will be unsupported and is likely to break with any new major release of CRM, so use this sparingly.

~ Atomic Coder

• Marked as answer by Gembino Thursday, June 26, 2014 12:40 AM
    Wednesday, June 25, 2014 4:44 AM
  • Thanks Atomic Coder,

It does seem limited to allow these great new business process flow elements and then not let you have any control over how it displays...

Do you or anyone else know what css elements I would need to change and how that JScript onload might look? 

I did find this: http://www.sitepoint.com/change-css-jquery/

I am quite close to chalking this up to the "too difficult" list.

Sounds like its just one customization too far.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 5:06 AM
  • Hi Gembino,

My personal opinion would be to flag it.

In general, Microsoft has a reason for not allowing us developers to fiddle about with these sorts of things, and you might find yourself facing problem after problem when trying to get it working, only to have it all break again when a new rollup of CRM 2013 is released.

When it comes to unsupported changes, it is always good to take a long hard look at why you're attempting to do what you're about to do and make sure that the requirement is absolutely necessary. Often trying a step back from the problem can give a different perspective and help you to see a supported way of achieving the desired goal, or bring you to the conclusion that the requirement is not important enough to use unsupported methods to achieve.

~ Atomic Coder

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:28 AM