WHS v1 and v2 and remote access RRS feed

• Question

• Curiosity got me and I installed the Vail preview on a test machine to try it out. When asked for the domain name i created a new domain and was able to access the vail server remotely without incident. I used a naming convention of "servername.homeserver.com"(whs1) and "servername2.homeserver.com"(whs2). But the strange thing was that when i browsed to the url of whs1 it connected me to whs2 vail machine. I used the same windows live ID to register the new server name during setup. Now that I have taken the whs vail machine offline, whs1 machine will not work with remote access. I have gone through the setup several times, it passes the router config but fails the last step when it says "checking to see if your site is available to the internet". I have reset the router and rebooted the machine but it wont go back online. this setup unchanged has worked very well for remote access until now.  any suggestions?

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:49 PM

Answers

• Hello Graig,

Some little explaining first:
    As you may know or not know your network is connected to the internet using a unique internet IP-address assigned by your ISP. Your homeserver is connected to your home network using a unique local IP-adres.

When you register a domain you are actually asingning it to the internet IP-address assigned by your ISP.
    Registering a second domain also registered to this same IP intenet address.
    As a result both domains (using the same IP address) will be routed to the server currently configured by your router using a technique known as "port-forwarding". When enabling VAIL for remote access your router was "programmed" by VAIL to forward any homeserver request to its IP-address.
    For more info see the WHS Technical Brief on "Remote Access"

As far as I know your can only register one single domain to a LiveID. As a result of this your original domain used by WHSv1 is no longer valid.
    (It will probably be functional for some time until is dropped and/or reclaimed). As your IP-adress is now claimed by the "servername2.homeserver.com" domain WHS is no longer able to reclaim the old domain name and re-configure your router for forwarding to your WHSv1 server. To solve this your need to undo the domain registration for VAIL first.

Allthough I did not try registering/unregistering a domain for VAIL you should be able to do the following to undo this:
    1. Disconnect/shutdown WHS server.
    2. Connect/startup VAIL and choose to undo its domain registration and disable remote access.
    3. Disconnect/shutdown VAIL.
    4. Connect/startup WHS and re-configure remote access using your liveID.

- Theo.

PS - FWIW: you can try registering two separate domains using different LiveID's. But to have both WHS and VAIL acessible you need to solve to problem of "port farwarding" to different servers. If at all possible for VAIL, I do not know how to accomplish this.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:10 PM

All replies

• See the general discussion post “How to - Both WHS1 and Vail Built-in Websites”

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsvailbeta/thread/b4cfe8a5-19d9-47e6-8bb4-2194b88c304f

It refers you to a post on the We Got Served Forum.  The issue you are seeing is that http:// uses port 80.  Your router is sending that http request to the Vail Machine.  What you need is something to read the incoming http requests and send those requests off to the correct website.  There is also a second issue that you haven’t bumped up against yet (and may not because you are using *.homeserver.com URLs.) The second issue is SSL Certificate.  The We Got Served Post talks about using a little freeware engine called Nginx.  You will also see discussion about using Vail’s Internet Information Services after installing the Application Request Routing and URL Rewrite modules.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Hello Graig,

Some little explaining first:
    As you may know or not know your network is connected to the internet using a unique internet IP-address assigned by your ISP. Your homeserver is connected to your home network using a unique local IP-adres.

When you register a domain you are actually asingning it to the internet IP-address assigned by your ISP.
    Registering a second domain also registered to this same IP intenet address.
    As a result both domains (using the same IP address) will be routed to the server currently configured by your router using a technique known as "port-forwarding". When enabling VAIL for remote access your router was "programmed" by VAIL to forward any homeserver request to its IP-address.
    For more info see the WHS Technical Brief on "Remote Access"

As far as I know your can only register one single domain to a LiveID. As a result of this your original domain used by WHSv1 is no longer valid.
    (It will probably be functional for some time until is dropped and/or reclaimed). As your IP-adress is now claimed by the "servername2.homeserver.com" domain WHS is no longer able to reclaim the old domain name and re-configure your router for forwarding to your WHSv1 server. To solve this your need to undo the domain registration for VAIL first.

Allthough I did not try registering/unregistering a domain for VAIL you should be able to do the following to undo this:
    1. Disconnect/shutdown WHS server.
    2. Connect/startup VAIL and choose to undo its domain registration and disable remote access.
    3. Disconnect/shutdown VAIL.
    4. Connect/startup WHS and re-configure remote access using your liveID.

- Theo.

PS - FWIW: you can try registering two separate domains using different LiveID's. But to have both WHS and VAIL acessible you need to solve to problem of "port farwarding" to different servers. If at all possible for VAIL, I do not know how to accomplish this.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:10 PM
  • So it seems that the remote connection wizard is misreporting its connectivity status because it is available for remote access and i didnt change anything. I just turned remote back on and the server says not available and yet it is, go figure. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 3:18 PM
  • So it seems that the remote connection wizard is misreporting its connectivity status because it is available for remote access and i didnt change anything. I just turned remote back on and the server says not available and yet it is, go figure. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Craig-

There is not an abundance of detail in your post.  It sounds like you re-enabled Remote Access on WHS V1 and now have Remote Access capability restored to WHS V1.

That will probably work fine until either you or Vail itself decides its Remote Access is broken and a repair it initiated (not sure if Vail attempts auto-repair but V1 does.)  Then what will happen is Vail’s Remote Access will work and V1 will not work again.

Theo does a good job of explaining but I will try again.  Most routers have the capability called UPnP.  The WHS software (both V1 and V2) have the ability to make use of this capability to direct the Remote Access ports.  Both WHS V1 and Vail use exactly the same ports (80 & 443) for their respective Remote Access functionality.  What you have is a tug-of-war going on.  When you activated Remote Access on Vail it grabbed the ports and said, “Mine!”.  When on the 29<sup>th</sup> you turned remote back on”, WHS V1 grabbed the ports and said, “No! They’re Mine!”.  This tug of war could continue until you:

1.         Either turn off Remote Access for Vail (Dashboard->General Settings->Remote Access->Turn Off) or,

2.         Follow one of the options in the “How to - Both WHS1 and Vail Built-in Websites” post mentioned above

Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:12 PM