none
How to narrow search result in forum search?

Question

• In this forum I learned that the forum search does not support quoted search terms and the AND operator in searches but offers a better solution instead.

As I do not understand how to narrow down search results could someone please explain how forum search is meant to be used.

Example:
    I want to search in the Win 8.1 IT Pro forum for "file explorer" AND search AND content AND pdf .

Searching for file explorer search content pdf gives 5470 results.

Searching only for pdf gives 115 result

When creating a new question with the title file explorer search content pdf the forum SW under "We've found questions similar to yours" shows the 5 results. These are the ones I do expect from forum search. The best hit of those 5 is not on the first page of the search result list.

And why does the search button not give any visual feedback when clicked or when the search is complete?

• Edited by pmeinl Monday, October 21, 2013 6:41 AM fixed hyperlink
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:19 AM

Answers

• There is no way I know of to specify an "AND" in a search, or have the search engine treat words in quotes as one string. And it is true that when you add words to a search, you often get more hits, including any posts that have any of the words.

However, the search results are sorted by relevance (by default). Posts that include all of the terms should be at the top.

In your example, I would expect to get better results if you use fewer carefully chosen words. Perhaps "explorer search pdf" would work better. That actually produces more hits, but they might be more relevant. I think "search pdf" might be even better.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:39 PM
  • Yes, depending on what you're after it may be better than the former.

edit: I was able to filter by Forums and then also by topic: Windows 8

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:24 AM

All replies

• There is no way I know of to specify an "AND" in a search, or have the search engine treat words in quotes as one string. And it is true that when you add words to a search, you often get more hits, including any posts that have any of the words.

However, the search results are sorted by relevance (by default). Posts that include all of the terms should be at the top.

In your example, I would expect to get better results if you use fewer carefully chosen words. Perhaps "explorer search pdf" would work better. That actually produces more hits, but they might be more relevant. I think "search pdf" might be even better.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Sunday, October 20, 2013 9:39 PM
  • You might also try above the search forum Search TechNet with Bing where I think AND operator and quoting is supported.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, October 20, 2013 11:03 PM
  • On my machine the "above the forum search" shows Search Windows with Bing.

After searching there (AND is supported but strangely not the default) on the left of the result list one can limit the results to Forums but not to a specific forum.

Monday, October 21, 2013 6:46 AM
  • To make it easier to reproduce my example I fixed the hyperlink to the forum in my initial post.

"Perhaps "explorer search pdf" would work better".
    This gives 2354 result and again the good result "Windows Search of PDF files by CONTENTS" which shows up under "We've found questions similar to yours" when trying to add a question is not on the first page.

"carefully chosen words"
    Forum search as it is makes it difficult to carefully choose search words because one cannot narrow down the result to find good and bad ones.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 6:58 AM
  • Yes, depending on what you're after it may be better than the former.

edit: I was able to filter by Forums and then also by topic: Windows 8

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:24 AM