What do you think minimum Vail system requirements should be. RRS feed

• General discussion

• My HP EX495 has a Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 2.5GH and I have 4GB of ram.

I logged into Remote Access and starting viewing an MP4 television show.  With no backups running:

Perfmon showed CPU usage averages between 84% and 92% and memory usage average of 53%.

After about 20 minutes into the one hour show the transcoding was finished (show was still playing via remote access of course) and CPU Usage averages dropped back down between 1 and 3%.

I can live with those numbers, but based on what I saw someone using Vail with the minimum system requirements will not be streaming video.  I think my current specs should be the minimum for Vail

I wanted to start a discussion and see what others in the forum think.  Please lets keep the discussion civil :) 

Vail System Requirements:

• 1.4 GHz x64 processor.
    • 2 GB RAM
    • At least one 160 GB hard drive.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:13 AM

All replies

• What you were watching was the transcoding performance of a very old processor.

Microsoft is famous (or infamous, if you prefer :) ) for minimum system requirements that will barely run an idle workload. Rule of thumb: double whatever Microsoft says regarding RAM or CPU. A good place to start would be an i5 and 3-4 GB of RAM. Disk as required; that's not the problem here...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 3:32 AM
  • What you were watching was the transcoding performance of a very old processor.

Microsoft is famous (or infamous, if you prefer :) ) for minimum system requirements that will barely run an idle workload. Rule of thumb: double whatever Microsoft says regarding RAM or CPU. A good place to start would be an i5 and 3-4 GB of RAM. Disk as required; that's not the problem here...

They are not that old a processor, very similar specs to an Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, but with smaller cache - however they don't have the SSE4 extensions either - which is quite likely used when transcoding.  Still if the intention is for Vail to run on Atom's then the E5200 should be more than adequate.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 4:46 PM
  • I will say it a little differently: the specifications for most Microsoft operating systems are "minimum" and as far as I have ever been able to tell, "minimum" means "idle load", i.e. you boot the OS and then surf the web, do simple word processing, and read email. To save you the trouble of saying it: I would almost go so far as to call Microsoft "minimum" specifications for consumer software "unrealistic".

Transcoding on the fly uses a lot of processing power. Elsewhere in this forum you'll find an estimate (by a Microsoft employee) that you need a minimum Windows Experience Index CPU score of 6.0 for transcoding HD content "on the fly". An Atom won't deliver that level of performance, so the minimum hardware won't run Vail under a heavy workload. This is common practice in the industry. And your E5200 is "more than adequate"; it was able to keep up with the transcoding, wasn't it? 

Saturday, September 25, 2010 9:29 PM