MS Money Has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible that the January 2017 updates to windows 10 has cause my MS Money Sunset version to stop working. I have read the fixes and have applied them( .dll and resigter change). Any other solutions? Thanks
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:43 AM

All replies

• Money Sunset working here on Windows 10 after the January update.  My version is 14393.693.  

What error message are you getting?  When do you get it?

Note that registry changes are not necessary.  Try undoing them.

Bill Becker

Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:51 AM
  • My version is the same 14393.693. After launching MS Money, I receive a notice that Money has stopped working and windows is looking for a solution. Do you have the values for the registry. Thxs  
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Sorry, I never made the registry changes that were proffered back in August/September 2015 so I don't know what the values were or what the "recommended" changes were.  I will check and post back.

In the meantime, did you try reinstalling Money?  Note that when you do that you will need to redo the mnyob99.dll replacement.  Just change your current mny0b99.dll to fixedmnyob99.dll or something similar and then, after reinstalling, rename the mnyob99.dll from the reinstall to something else and change fixedmnyob99.dll back to mnyob99.dll.

Bill Becker

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:14 AM
  • OK, here is a post on what not to do:

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bc77f818-1328-48da-acb4-76784f1deffc/another-comment-on-registry-patching?forum=money

A Windows 10 update back in September 2015 eliminated the need for a registry change.

Bill Becker

Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:19 AM
  • I changed the registry back to IE 11 version. Also, I did re-install money using the new mnyob99.dll. It worked until the next time I opened it which generated the same error message.
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 2:26 AM
  • So, after reinstalling, you were able to open your Money file once and then. when you try again. you get the "Money has stopped working" message?

Sounds like something is getting corrupted when Money closes, but I don't have a clue as to what it might be.

Any other odd behavior from your computer?

Long shot, - is your Money file in your documents folder?  It should not be in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Money Plus folder.

Bill Becker

Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:00 AM
  • I would try making a repaired version of your file with
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 5:12 AM
  • I have made sure my Money file is in my documents. Also have run a repair as you have suggested, but to no avail. Will try to run a money file on a different computer running windows 10.
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:08 PM
  • I installed a new MS Money on a different computer, imported the repair file and I get the same response, money has stopped working.
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Make sure you have placed the repaired  mnyob99.dll file into your Microsoft Money Sunset Deluxe installation, as described in what is currently the first post in this forum.

Then open any file you can, such as Sample.mny.
    You can do that by going to your Money install folder
    and right-clicking Sample.mny, and choosing Open.
    I would first go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Close Money. Open Money by right-clicking the repaired *.mny file.

Does the file open? Does it work as long as you don't go to the Home page?

Thursday, January 26, 2017 3:08 PM
  • I cant find a file to open to get me there to change the settings. Sample is not listed among the application files. I can reinstall money which will allow me to change settings before trying to import previous backup files.
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:27 PM
  • In Windows explorer, put (type or paste) the following into the address box with the spaces, and press the Enter key:

%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Money Plus

You should then see either sample or sample.mny listed. Right click that, and choose Open.

Alternatively, open a command window and enter the following line with the quotes, and press the Enter key:

cd "%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Money Plus"

Then type the following line and press the enter key:

sample.mny

Thursday, January 26, 2017 9:43 PM
  • there is no sample file on my computer. I've searched using both techniques and both times show no results
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 10:23 PM
  • Try running this command in a command window:

dir  C:\sample.mny  /s

It will search the drive for any occurances of the  sample.mny file. This presumes Money is installed on the C: drive.

Note the different slants to the two slash characters.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:12 PM
  • Found it using the command as above. Opened it, changed the settings, closed it and then opened it using the repaired file. It works, WOW.
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:35 PM
  • Will I be able to close it and reopen it as usual?
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:37 PM
  • Found it using the command as above. Opened it, changed the settings, closed it and then opened it using the repaired file. It works, WOW.

I am glad that worked. Now one more thing, in case you go to the Home page later:

Go to  Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplaySettings and Remove the
    BillsAndDeposits and SpendingTracker modules.  If you still have a
    problem when you go to the "home" page, remove all modules.  If the
    problem goes away, you can add things back until the crash does not
    happen.  Add back in the other things you want on the home page.
    Let us know which was the problem module.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:44 PM
  • OK those two are removed. Thank you very much. I'll let you know how it goes tonight.
    Friday, January 27, 2017 12:13 AM
  • I went to the home page and money stopped working. opened it without a hitch. Removed more modules until 7 left. returned to the home page and its working so far. Got rid of the MSN and none pertinent stuff.
    Friday, January 27, 2017 12:17 AM
  • I have been using MS Money 2002 and have faced similar problems when Windows OS has been upgraded from 7 to 8 and then to 10.<o:p></o:p>

Somewhere on a website I saw a solution that had intricate instructions on changing some registry entries. I tried it and it worked.<o:p></o:p>

But the problem reappeared... so it seems that the problem is a function of the hardware, OS and the specific MS Money version.<o:p></o:p>

In the latest instance of the problem I installed MS Money 2002 Standard Edition Version 10 on a laptop with Win 8.1 Pro 2013. It worked for a day. The next day it came with an error message. So I re-installed Money. It worked again, but did not work the next day. <o:p></o:p>

One simple solution that has worked for me to to turn off Money Express. Once I did that, Money has been working quite fine. I don't know if this will last. Keeping my fingers crossed.<o:p></o:p>

I had read about this solution somewhere on the net, but cannot locate the webpage now.<o:p></o:p>

Monday, July 15, 2019 2:20 PM