Off-site Backup RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've read a few reviews about Jungle Disk, KeepVault, Mozy, etc of off site backup for WHS.  What would be the general opinion be here on these (or other) providers?  Pro and cons perhaps.

Thanks!
    Jamie

Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:52 AM

All replies

• If your goal is to get a small amount of critical data off-site, then they may be worth investigation. If your goal is to get all the data in your shares off-site, use the server share backup tool built into Power Pack 1 and take your external hard drive off-site. The cloud-based backups are very slow and very expensive if you have a large volume of data to back up.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 23, 2009 11:40 AM
  • Ken, Where do I find that built-in share backup tool? I do not see anyhing in the management shell?
    Monday, March 23, 2009 1:28 PM
  • Assuming you have Power Pack 1 installed (and if you don't, you should, as it includes a fix for a fairly severe if rather rare data corruption issue) you will find it documented in the help files for the Windows Home Server console. If you haven't done so, you should review the help files carefully, along with the documents and support area on the Windows Home Server microsite. This is the sum total of documentation Microsoft provides, Windows Home Server being an OEM/system builder product only.

Briefly, you connect a drive to your server and choose to add it on the server storage tab. You'll have a choice to add it to the storage pool, or use it as a backup drive. If you choose to use it as a backup drive, your server will be listed on the Computers tab as available for backup. After backing up some or all shares, you can remove the drive temporarily using the console, which will allow you to take it off-site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 23, 2009 2:50 PM
  • This is the sum total of documentation Microsoft provides, Windows Home Server being an OEM/system builder product only.

I find this idea depressing. The OEM/system builder is, at some stage, selling the product to an end user who needs comprehensive documentation on the product they have bought.

The OEM builder may be the brightest spark on the planet and does not need comprehensive documentation, but a lot of them have no idea on transferring their knowledge to the end user.
    Tuesday, April 7, 2009 1:27 AM
  • I use JungleDisk for offsite backups of all my digital images (about 20GB) and all importand documents. I've set Jungle Disk to perform a backup once every hour (only new or changed files are transfered). I've also set up JungleDisk to keep a version history of up to four previous versions of the files. That way if I accidentally overwrite or delete a file I can go to JungleDisk and get a copy.

In my case JungleDisk is uploading to Amazon S3 service and it costs just a few cent pr. GB pr. month. A typical month I pay something like USD 2 to Amazon and a little less to JungleDisk for a supscription to JungleDisk Plus (support for resume of failed uploads and support for partial file uploads (uploads only diffs)).

I sleep very well at night knowing that everything is safe up till the last hour even if my house should burn down.

I also made a WHS Add-In that exposes the JungleDisk Desktop UI inside the WHS console. Read more about that here:
    http://blog.paks.no/2009/01/25/jungle-disk-whs-add-in/
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 7:25 AM
  • I was interested in the JungleDisk back up but if I am reading the site right it says you pay $0.15 per GB per month, so if I back up a TB of data it will cost me $150+ a month for the back-up? I might as well build another server somewhere. Please let me know if I am reading this wrong.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 1:35 AM
  • Like Ken said "If your goal is to get a small amount of critical data off-site, then they may be worth investigation. If your goal is to get all the data in your shares off-site, use the server share backup tool built into Power Pack 1 and take your external hard drive off-site. The cloud-based backups are very slow and very expensive if you have a large volume of data to back up."

I backup all user's home directories on the WHS (where we store documents like home work assignments, excel sheets etc) + all our family digital photos. It now at about 20GB and only costs me a few $ each month. Cloud storage is not suitable for very large amounts of data, because of the price and the transfer speed. To backup 1 TB over a typical ADSL line would take an eterity.

So use online backup only for what you cannot live without, then use the shares backup feature to backup to a removable drive once in a while and place the drive somewhere else (parents house, garage or what ever).
    HP MediaSmart EX475, 2GB ram, 2x512 + 1x120 GB storage. Author of WHS File Manager Add-In, WHS Jungle Disk Add-in and WHS Media Connect Configuration Add-in. http://blog.paks.no/whs-add-ins/
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:42 AM
  • Thanks, I think I will do the external thing. While I do like the idea of automatically backing it up online it would be to costly & time consuming and with the prices of large external drives being so low these days that sounds like the better option. Thanks for the advice.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:55 PM