photography workflow: SyncToy 2.0 sync option 'Echo' does not delete files as defined RRS feed

• Question

• Need some help to complete my photography workflow. SyncToy 2.0 appears not to delete files with sync option set to 'Echo'.

On my typical photography workflow I first import files from memory cards both to the computer and to a external backup HD simultaneously using Adobe Lightroom after manually creating folders on both drives.

Some hours later, after editing (modify, rename and delete some files in the computer-left), I run SyncToy 2.0 to ECHO to the external backup HD (right), but it does not delete files on the right which were already deleted on the left. This happens even if I run action Synchronize just after importing with Lightroom.

A few weeks later, having editing lots of folders and images, current and past, I Echo all to this first external HD, then I Echo this first external backup HD (left) to another external HD (right) but I don't get the files deleted on the Right either.

Deletes on the left are NOT replicated on the right. I don't touch any files or folders on the backup targets - the right hand side. Computer (left) is NTFS with Vista sp1, external (right) HDs are strictly for backups, all NTFS.

How do I get this right? 

Thank you

Cesar Werneck

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:31 PM

Answers

• I found that easy to replicate. And I don't think it's an error, rather "missing" functionality.

If you create a file on the right (manually or with some third part application like lightroom), and then delete it on the left without running sychtoy once first, it won't get deleted on the right if you run synctoy later.

I guess synctoy has some kind of registry of what files are there, and it does not have time to update itself, so it will never register the delete, and thus do nothing.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi, Cesar

Sorry for the inconvenience. But what happen here surely is not the common things.

is there any error message?

Can you do a small test with these steps like with 10 or 20 files, to see if you can repro this.

Thanks,

Baoke

Monday, December 1, 2008 4:25 AM
  • Just noticed this report.  I'm having the same problem; ie, files and folders on the right are not being deleted when using Echo.  Has anything been resolved on this problem?

Monday, January 5, 2009 6:12 PM
  • Can you check the log (File->View Log) and paste anything you see that might look like errors?

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:28 PM
  • I found that easy to replicate. And I don't think it's an error, rather "missing" functionality.

If you create a file on the right (manually or with some third part application like lightroom), and then delete it on the left without running sychtoy once first, it won't get deleted on the right if you run synctoy later.

I guess synctoy has some kind of registry of what files are there, and it does not have time to update itself, so it will never register the delete, and thus do nothing.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 7:47 AM
  • Yes, SyncToy enumerates changes everytime you run a Sync, so it does misses the creation and the deletion both on the left side.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:21 PM
  • I'm having the same problem--no deletions on the right. Is there a fix expected (soon) or a new version coming out? thanks.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 11:52 PM
  • I confirm: the "echo" option does not delete folders in the right
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:29 PM
  • I also just ran into this problem tonight. FIles deleted on the left but not on the right with echo option. Had to manually delete on the right so there was room to copy from the left.
    Dave
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:19 AM
  • Sid,  What do you mean? I could possibly see an argument for missing changes on the right but certainly NOT changes on the left when setup to do an echo! Please explain. Thanks, Dave
    Dave
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 3:21 AM
  • Actually, the situation is MUCH worse that I thought. After swapping the right drive with my alternate and trying to resync left to right, there is no pretense whatsoever to have the right drive look anything like the left drive. How disappointing!
    Dave
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:52 AM
  • Actually, the situation is MUCH worse that I thought. After swapping the right drive with my alternate and trying to resync left to right, there is no pretense whatsoever to have the right drive look anything like the left drive. How disappointing!
    Dave

I switched to RoboCopy and that works well but a minor pain to do a "preview" of what will change. At least it does what you would expect.
    Dave
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:23 AM
  • I installed SyncToy 2.1, which was supposed to fix this problem. But it didn't work, the problem still occurs.
    Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Cesar,

In complete and total agreement. 'Echo' does not work as expected and I suspect this may be due to files on the right being touched by an anti-virus program... Thus making them more current than the files on the left.

The EXACT definition of the operation is defined as follows:

'Echo' -- New and updated files are copied left to right. Renames and deletes on the left are repeated on the right.

Certainly part one is true in that New and updated files are copied left to right. However the second part of the statement is completely false in that renames and deletes are not repeated on the right.

Currently using this operation to make backups of NAS files and wish that the tool would actually do what it is supposed to.

Sadly however I've not come to expect much--and my expectations in this regard were completely on par with the Microsoft track record.

Switching to Richcopy (the replacement for Robocopy) shortly. Link below:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithcombs/archive/2009/03/22/richcopy-bulk-file-copy-tool-released-get-it-here.aspx

Friday, July 30, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Echo does not delete! Why is it an option?
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 10:43 PM
  • RichCopy does not remove directories? Microsoft... I know you have great programmers... what is up?
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 11:14 PM
  • I have the most recent update as of this post - SyncToy 2.1.    The problem of *both* folders and files NOT being deleted on the right side continues which if you think about it, makes this program worthless.   It is better to simply use a standard backup application and overwrite all data on the right, but then that takes time.    Some have contended that the issue may be due to firewalls or antivirus programs updating files on the right; however, as I use Norton Antivirus, and, since just about everyone that surfs the net uses some form of antivirus, it brings us back to the same issue...SyncToy is worthless as an important tool for those of us that travel and must rely on multiple hard drives.  However, I found the answer, and it works for our needs.  It is called "Goodsync" and promises the same thing.  I downloaded the free app today and ran it.  I was ecstatic to see the files and folders that had previously been deleted on the left also had been deleted on the right after it was run.  I've since uninstalled SynToy.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 8:52 PM
  • thanks Sangria - that works great. What if you've changed the contents of a file (e.g. edited a word document) but kept it the same name - does the echo overwrite the older file with the newer file, or assume it's the same (because it has the same name) and leave it?
    Monday, March 21, 2011 2:39 PM