Victim of Counterfeiting - Microsoft UK sucks RRS feed

• Question

• Rang Microsoft UK and explained that I bought a new pc through e-bay in a shop (The shop was checked through companies house before I bought to ensure that they were legit).

expalined that the Pc was ADVERTISED as having windows XP professional pre-installed and that I would have own the copy on the computer. I bought it in March 2008 installed it logged onto microsoft and have been using it since downloading security updates etc.

I also told them that I have the recepit for the computer and have requested a copy of the advertisement from e-bay.

the License it appears is a VLK. MICROSOFT are not interested in anything further except tell me I should purchased a licence. I informed them that I had purchased this through a ligitimate company at the time in good faith, and that I could supply this evidence to them, not interested!!! NO WONDER BILL GATES IS SO RICH!!

The problem from my side is furthered, due to the fact that the company in question is no longer trading.

Unless I can also provide the disc with a hologram or a sticker with a COA they won`t do anything to help.

You would have thought in cases such as this (with company recepits etc) MICROSOFT would help the genuine person and either case the company concerned or make a good will gesture by honouring the licence?? My confidence in Microsoft is now lost and I am going through the process of copying all my files to wipe the OS off to install something like LINUX, I don`t wish to but will not pay £95 for something that I genuinally purchased (as I have the receipts etc).

I am only writing this in the hope that someone has had a simliar probelm which has been treated kindly by big Brother

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0006.1):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23882
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx -xxxx-9860CD8A835F}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

• Moved by JeniferA Wednesday, March 25, 2009 2:44 PM XP Validation issue (Moved from Feedback and Comments to Windows XP Genuine Advantage Validation Issues (Windows XP))
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 6:42 PM

Answers

• Good Morning Morgs,

Thank you for providing us with the partial MGA Diagnostic results. I can understand the frustration as there are many individules and companies who have unscrupulous business practices. Currently your Windows XP was installed using a Volumne Licensing Key "VLK" licensing. As a rule, VL editions of Windows should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP is Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

First and foremost I would recommend for you to file a piracy report with Microsoft by following the directions @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy
    . Please locate "Reporting Piracy" in the upper left corner. Next have you contacted EBay and/or PayPal regarding this problem? Where PayPal is an EBay company, both websites are separate. Both websites will want to be contacted regarding your transaction to work with you. Where we are not aware of their exact process, we do recommend you looking into PayPal’s Resolution Center if you used PayPal to pay for your transaction. 

Please provide us with the following information.  

·         Was this an individual or an actual business selling the product on EBay?

·          Did you receive the original software media disc, proper packaging and COA with the purchase? Please visit http://www.howtotell.com for comparision.

·          Research and see if the person has an actual store front as well verses selling as an individual. Next please try and see if he has sold other Microsoft Windows. Maybe he has a high negative feedback. Maybe other people have filed against this customer already. 

·         Please provide EBay Alias contact information and direct EBay link where you purchased the product to us.

·         Please post the auction number for what you bought on eBay.

·         Please provide us with answers and any other information which may be helpful.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, March 30, 2009 5:48 PM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 4:23 PM