Steps to rebuild a 5+ Drive WHS systrem with corrupted OS without Data Loss RRS feed

• General discussion

• Overview
    The Purpose of this thread is to define a step by step process for rebuilding a multi drive server, unfortunately my my dta is at stake so I'm looking for feedback on getting this right before I do it because a mistale will mean my data is gone.

I'm running the retail version of WHS on an Intel (D975XBX2) which has 8 SATA ports on the MB. Four of them are run by the Intel chipset and 4 from the Marvell Chipset. I have five Seagate 1 Terabyte drives in the server, four connected to the intel SATA chipset and one to the Marvell chipset.

Problem
    I installed an old version of some Roxio thinking that I couls use it to make some ISO files but I blew up the WHS OS. First it made all my drives go into missing status and then after several attempst to do a re-install, the only choice I am given now is to do a new install when booting from the WHS CD. The good new is that it loosk like al the data on all my gard drives is in tack. I've been talking with a Moderator here named OLAF and tonight am going to try and rebuild my server using the steps defined below. I would love any feedback on the below:

Steps
    01) Turn off the WHS Server
    02) Identify the Physical HD that is the Boot drive, Call it HD-0 which has 2 partitions, 0=Boot and 1=Data
    03) Label the other four drives (HD-1 HD-2 HD-3 HD-4), unplug their SATA cables from the MB
    04) Remove HD-0 from the WHS Server
    05) Install NEW Seagate 1 Terabyte drives into the WHS erver and call in HD-0-NEW
    06) Boot WHS Server from the WHS CD, do a new install of WHS, install PP1
    07) Run Windows Update and go through all task to ensure all Updates are installed
    08) Power down Server
    09) Connect HD-0 (this was the boot drive before) to the WHS server and turn on
    10) If disk extendor wants to add the drive to the set - say NO
    11) Set File managet to view Hidden/system files
    12) Copy every file from Partition 1 on HD-0 to a share in Drive D on the WHS Server (lets say the default share music)
    13) Reboot the Server
    14) Use Disk Extendor Wizard to add HD-0 disk to system so now there are two drivesm HD-0NEW and HD-0
    15) Power down the server.
    16) Repeate Steps 9-12 for each hard drive in the set

WHS_retail version
    • Changed type Maximus300zx Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:56 PM Needs to be clearly defined
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 5:19 PM

All replies

• This appears correct to me. 

One minor change you could do.  If you figure out which hard drive has the OS on it, you should be able to reinstall WHS with the data drives attached.  The install process will automatically detect that they were WHS hard drives and add them without data loss.  This saves you the step of copying the data to the WHS server one drive at a time.  Be aware if you have a lot of files this step will take some time while it rebuilds the tombstones.

However, if you want more manual control over the data then your method is perfectly fine - and provides a little more piece of mind (although with more time).
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:44 PM
  •  
    12) Copy every file from Partition 1 on HD-0 to a share in Drive D on the WHS Server (lets say the default share music)

No, not each and every file on the partition, only those, which are below the \DE\shares folder.
    Best greetigns from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:10 PM
  • Maximus300zx said:

Overview
    The Purpose of this thread is to define a step by step process for rebuilding a multi drive server, unfortunately my my dta is at stake so I'm looking for feedback on getting this right before I do it because a mistale will mean my data is gone.

I'm running the retail version of WHS on an Intel (D975XBX2) which has 8 SATA ports on the MB. Four of them are run by the Intel chipset and 4 from the Marvell Chipset. I have five Seagate 1 Terabyte drives in the server, four connected to the intel SATA chipset and one to the Marvell chipset.

Problem
    I installed an old version of some Roxio thinking that I couls use it to make some ISO files but I blew up the WHS OS. First it made all my drives go into missing status and then after several attempst to do a re-install, the only choice I am given now is to do a new install when booting from the WHS CD. The good new is that it loosk like al the data on all my gard drives is in tack. I've been talking with a Moderator here named OLAF and tonight am going to try and rebuild my server using the steps defined below. I would love any feedback on the below:

Steps
    01) Turn off the WHS Server
    02) Identify the Physical HD that is the Boot drive, Call it HD-0 which has 2 partitions, 0=Boot and 1=Data
    03) Label the other four drives (HD-1 HD-2 HD-3 HD-4), unplug their SATA cables from the MB
    04) Remove HD-0 from the WHS Server
    05) Install NEW Seagate 1 Terabyte drives into the WHS erver and call in HD-0-NEW
    06) Boot WHS Server from the WHS CD, do a new install of WHS, install PP1
    07) Run Windows Update and go through all task to ensure all Updates are installed
    08) Power down Server
    09) Connect HD-0 (this was the boot drive before) to the WHS server and turn on
    10) If disk extendor wants to add the drive to the set - say NO
    11) Set File managet to view Hidden/system files
    13) Reboot the Server
    14) Use Disk Extendor Wizard to add HD-0 disk to system so now there are two drivesm HD-0NEW and HD-0
    15) Power down the server.
    16) Repeate Steps 9-12 for each hard drive in the set

WHS_retail version

Any particular reason you don't just use Server Reinstallation instead?
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:16 AM
  • Hi kariya,
    Any particular reason you don't just use Server Reinstallation instead?

Because he had issues with multiple of his data drives and tried this already. See here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:26 AM
  • Thank you for those that responded, Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to test this process as I was able to get my server recovered with a reinstall.  

At first I was able to select reinstall from the WHS Boot menu but I made the mistake of installing the 3rd party SATA driver from a USB stick and encountered the error where no matter how many times I tried F6 or how many keyboards I tried, pressing the F6 key would not bring up the prompt to insert a disk so the install would stop with a file missing error.   To correct I started a new install, and when prompted for a driver I created the I386 driver at the location it was looking and copied all of the 3rd party driver  files into that folder and then rebooted, the Server loaded and I did not loose any data.
    WHS_retail version
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:15 PM
  • Glad things worked out for you.

FYI, if you need to provide IDE/SATA/RAID drivers during the WHS install you have to use a floppy drive.  Otherwise the F6 won't register during the Windows Server 2003 install.  It looks like you found a way around it though. :)
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:24 PM
  • There are some discussions about modifying the WHS Boot CD and sdding in Custom drivers - I may play with that in time and will Publish the exact hack I did for people that may be stuck with the F6 key not working
    WHS_retail version
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:41 PM