Windows home server install error, after trial download from microsoft RRS feed

• Question

• I have just downloaded windows home server 30 day trial from microsoft website and copied it to disk. I installed it on to a winxp home computer and near the end of setup it came up with errors>  At least one service or device driver failed? and connecting to storage manager service failed: the dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion: (error code 0x80070433). I know it is not your expertise but could you point me in the right direction. Thank you
    Monday, August 2, 2010 7:35 PM

All replies

• You need to boot from the installation DVD; it sounds like you tried to run setup from within Windows.

Note that installing Windows Home Server on your computer running Windows XP will flatten the machine, removing everything that's currently on it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Hi Ken.  Thanks for the reply. I think you got the wrong end of the stick. I know I have to boot the computer to install home server. and I know I have to have the dvd in the drive before rebooting my pc. I have installed windows home server something like twenty times and checked my harware and software. but at the end of the installation I get these errors. I don't know the errors I am getting. I cannot find any infomation on why I am recieving these errors.  If i could find someone whith this knowledge then I would be able to install the operating system without errors. It should be a simple operating system to install much like all other operating systems. It could be that the dvd download is corrupt? But unless someone who is more expert than me explains why the errors I will have to purchase the software instead of trying a trial copy.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010 2:53 PM