PP1 server shares backup - re adding backup drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can someone please tell me exactly what happens when you add an external hard drive (with WHS shared folder backups on it) to a brand new, clean install of WHS PP1. The PP1 documentation suggests you should be able to add the drive to a clean WHS install , and perform a restore of your shared folders, without losing your data, but it doesn`t explain how adding an existing backup drive to a clean PP1 install works.

I am unsure about this, because when I initially added an external drive to the pool for the purpose of backups, it automatically did a format. I don`t want my backups to be lost when the drive is added to the clean installation. If theres any risk of an accidental drive format, I want to be aware of it!!

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 12:14 PM

All replies

• When you add a drive from the console now, you have 2 options.  Add it to the storage pool or use it for backups.  When you select use it for backups, you then have 2 choices.  Leave files intact, or format the drive.

Still.....

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 1:00 PM
  •  

Yea, Ive already added the drive for use for backups, and performed a successful backup of the shares. 

But what happens after doing a re-install of WHS? When you re-add the drive, inorder to do a restore, do you get the same options, or does WHS automatically detect that the drive has been already been used for shared folder backups?

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:36 PM
  • You should have the same two sets of options.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 4:20 AM
  • If you have the same options, how do you get to your data? Hopefully someone who has done this already can post their experiences.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 7:45 AM
  • Can you not manually copy your data off the drive?  I have not used this feature yet so I do not know what file format it is in or if the data is compressed.  But that is what I would think you could do.  Before adding it to the pool or backup in your new install, just copy the data off of it first.
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 8:42 AM
  • I don`t want to manually copy data from my external backup drive - the data thats on there is a WHS shared folder backup - and I want to restore that shared folder backup onto a CLEAN whs install! Copying that data somewhere else isn`t going to help me - it needs to be restored on to the WHS machine following a re-install.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 10:38 AM
  •  Scoob101 wrote:

If you have the same options, how do you get to your data? Hopefully someone who has done this already can post their experiences.

While I haven't done this myself yet, it should be just like any other restore from a backup drive.  After adding the drive as a backup drive without formating, right click your WHS in the backup tab and select view backups.  From there, select the drive that you just added and proceed restoring your data.  I'm not sure if you'd have to create those shares in your storage pool before being able to restore them or not.  Although it seems simple enough to test, can anyone confirm?

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:00 AM
  • Abolutley agree, thats exactly how it should work.

But how does it actually work? How does adding the drive without formatting actually behave when it already has shared folder backups on it? Does it"prepare" the free space on the drive, and only show the drive as an empty drive? Does it automitically recognise the presence of previous shared folder backups on the drive and notify the user? Does it do something else? Is there a risk of loosing data if the wrong option is chosen?

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:09 AM
  • Scoob, I'm going to suggest you give it a try, after you read the release documentation. Add a drive for backups, do a server backup to it, then remove it. Then add it again. It's very straightforward.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 11:42 AM
  • Thanks Ken. Sounds like what you are saying is that that removing/adding the backup drive will give the same results a reinstalling the OS and then adding the backup drive. Sounds about right. At least I can see what to expect then before doing it for real.

Im sure it is very easy, however I`m sure you appreciate I don`t want to take unnecessary risks with my data. Also, the release documentation doesn`t give any specific details of this area at all. I`ve read it several times.

As haven`t heard any reports of successful use so far, I will have to go out and buy another external drive and do a second copy of my shares on that just in case.

I`ll post a request for the text to the improved on the dialogs once Ive finished the tests. WHS could be much clearer about what exactly is going to happen to drives and their contents when you chose the different options - especially when you consider the target audience for WHS.

Thanks again.

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:11 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

Scoob, I'm going to suggest you give it a try, after you read the release documentation. Add a drive for backups, do a server backup to it, then remove it. Then add it again. It's very straightforward.

Not quite "very straightforward" yet, but I`m sure it will be one day

1) Initiating a backup from whe WHS console on the server itself, and then attempting to view backup progress on the Admin console of a different (client) machine appears to stop the backup dead in its tracks. This happened twice last night.

Can anyone replicate this for me?

2) When removing a server backup hard drive from the pool, you are presented with 2 options - either "Temporarily Remove" the drive or "Stop using this drive for backups".

I`ve tried both, and I can`t see what the difference is. Can anyone explain why there are 2 options, and what the difference is???

another point / question - It looks like when WHS does a backup, it compared files to those previously backed up, and if they are the same, does a hard link to the original file. This means that when you use file explorer to view the backup folders you see a complete set of files in each backup set - regardless of how much data actually needed to be copied.

Thats neat.

Also looks like you can explore the backup folders and restore files/folders to anywhere you like, without using the WHS console - just do a file copy.

Friday, June 13, 2008 8:30 AM
  •  Scoob101 wrote:
    1) Initiating a backup from whe WHS console on the server itself, and then attempting to view backup progress on the Admin console of a different (client) machine appears to stop the backup dead in its tracks. This happened twice last night.
    That shouldn't happen. Please submit a bug on Connect with talq logs.
     Scoob101 wrote:
    another point / question - It looks like when WHS does a backup, it compared files to those previously backed up, and if they are the same, does a hard link to the original file. This means that when you use file explorer to view the backup folders you see a complete set of files in each backup set - regardless of how much data actually needed to be copied.

Thats neat.

It's also documented elsewhere in this forum...

Friday, June 13, 2008 12:29 PM
  •  Scoob101 wrote:

I noticed something similar to this.  I initiated a backup to a backup drive from the WHS console on the server (by remote desktop).  Upon closing the WHS console, the backup immediately stopped.  Note that I didn't try to view the progress from a client like you did.  Simply the act of closing the WHS console caused the backup to stop.

I assumed that this was by design because, unlike client backups, share backups to a drive outside of the pool are unscheduled.  Should this be considered a bug?  Either way, it sucks. 

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:04 PM
  • jrmull, please file a bug on Connect, with talq logs from your server.
    Friday, June 13, 2008 3:16 PM
  •  jrmull wrote:
     Scoob101 wrote:

I noticed something similar to this.  I initiated a backup to a backup drive from the WHS console on the server (by remote desktop).  Upon closing the WHS console, the backup immediately stopped.  Note that I didn't try to view the progress from a client like you did.  Simply the act of closing the WHS console caused the backup to stop.

I assumed that this was by design because, unlike client backups, share backups to a drive outside of the pool are unscheduled.  Should this be considered a bug?  Either way, it sucks. 

This is a known issue.  You should be accessing the Windows Home Server Console through your home computers, you should not be using the Console via a Remote Desktop session directly to your home server.  If you start a shared folder backup by accessing the Windows Home Server Console from one home PC, and then access the WHS Console from another PC, the backup of the shared folders will continue. 

This is currently by design and the bugs that have been filed against this issue will be worked on after Power Pack 1.

Friday, June 13, 2008 3:17 PM
  •  

There is a config/ini file on the drive that WHS "sees" when you add it back.  So when you view backups it makes them available.

Still......

"But how does it actually work? How does adding the drive without formatting actually behave when it already has shared folder backups on it? Does it"prepare" the free space on the drive, and only show the drive as an empty drive? Does it automitically recognise the presence of previous shared folder backups on the drive and notify the user? Does it do something else? Is there a risk of loosing data if the wrong option is chosen? "

Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:54 PM