Windows Server or 2 WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I have four laptops, two desktops, four wired/wireless gaming consoles, two handheld gaming devices, and four smart phones that access my network on a daily basis.  Granted, they aren't always connected, and they don't all need to backup to the server.  Sometimes, my son will have a LAN party, and we'll have additional machines brought in, either gaming consoles or gaming rigs.  I currently have a machine working as a firewall between my LAN and the incoming connection, but I would really like to put a server on that machine, so I could have the additional functionality of the server and backup capabilities.

Which would be better:  two machines running Windows Home Server or should I look at going with Windows Server edition and the CALs separately (cost-prohibitive)?  I've read a lot through the forums, and WHS is $50 right now on Newegg.  I'd obviously prefer to do the WHS, but is there a problem with setting two of those up on the same LAN?  How would I wire it?  Or, could I use one server running my firewall and two virtual machines with WHS?

Just a quick bit of background ... I'm still pretty new at a lot of this, I have my A.S. in ICT, and am working toward my B.A.S. in IT Management.  I've been divorced for 6 or 7 years, and started back to college 4 years ago, after my ex suggested that I was good at computers, and should look at a career there.  I don't have the hobby-type background, where others have been tinkering/playing with the technology, so there's still a lot I'm trying to learn.  I work as a CSS for a small company, and I help friends and family with computer issues (as a learning experience!).

Thank you for any advice you can provide! :-)

Saturday, June 9, 2012 4:48 PM

Answers

• Licensing is first come, first served; if there are already 10 connections active, further requests will be refused until one of the open connections is closed.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Marked as answer by MJTew Friday, June 15, 2012 2:46 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Ken

I assume that is 10 simultaneous connections and thus you could have more if they are not connecting at the same time?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 1:00 PM

All replies

• Slightly confused here - why do you need two WHS machines? Are you worried about the 10 machine limit? If so, that applies to machines which will be backed up regularly, of which you have six.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Saturday, June 9, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Thank you for responding!

So, according to what you're saying, using WHS for multi-media, there is no limit to how many devices can stream media from the server?  And Internet connections don't count?  Only how many computers are backed up?  Then, I must have misunderstood.  I know I read a lot of different posts earlier, but I thought that only 10 specific devices could connect to the server. 

Thank you again!  I'm still learning about how server connections work, and I thought that each device would need something to identify it in order to connect to our home network, whether it was to use the Internet or utilize the server.  I guess the routing on all of that is different than I was thinking.  I know, where I work, we have a database server that only allows 10 connections at one time.  There are 18 people who have permission, but once the first 10 slots are taken up, no more connections can happen until someone leaves.  Does WHS work the same way?

I appreciate your help, and apologize for being a little slow on this.  I want to be sure I understand exactly how it works. 

One other thing?  I had asked about the virtual machine.  Would it be going overboard to use a virtual machine, or can my firewall and WHS run concurrently?

Thank you, and have a great weekend!

Sunday, June 10, 2012 2:49 AM
  • i believe I am correct in saying the limit is that you can only create 10 User Accounts AND you can only install the Connector software and use that to connect to the server, on 10 different machines.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Phil is correct that you can only create 10 users other than the default Guest account on your server, and can only connect 10 computers for backup. But I believe you are referring to how many client computers (and other devices) might be able to connect to your server's shares, or establish other types of connections to services on your server. The answer to that question is also 10, because there are 10 CALs "baked in" to Windows Home Server. There is no way to change the number of CALs, I'm afraid.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 11:52 AM
  • Ken

I assume that is 10 simultaneous connections and thus you could have more if they are not connecting at the same time?

Sunday, June 10, 2012 1:00 PM
  • That is exactly what I'm trying to find out.  In the rare instance everyone is home and most of the devices are on at the same time, I'm looking at 9 or 10 devices using the server at one time.  Is the licensing device specific or is it first come, first serve?   Can I program more than 10 devices to use the server, or is it programmed according to users?  I know there are device CALs and user CALs, and, in this case, since I have 4 (or more) users, and multiple devices per user, I would think that a device-specific CAL would make more sense.

According to this forum post, they are similar to device CALs, with users programmed into the server?  So, I'm back to needing more than the 10 shares, since we are all uploading and downloading information to and from the server on most of our devices?

Thank you again, Phil, for your help in clarifying my question.

Monday, June 11, 2012 5:13 PM
  • Licensing is first come, first served; if there are already 10 connections active, further requests will be refused until one of the open connections is closed.

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Thank you very much for clearing that up for me.  Phil and Ken, I appreciate the help from both of you.
    Friday, June 15, 2012 2:46 PM