Remote access to your pcs configuration was turned off. RRS feed

• Question

• 3 machines using OneCare beta 2.0 (in a circle).

Yesterday OneCare on one of the machines displayed a red icon (limited account user was logged in) and the message was that OneCare needed to change a key in the windows registry that was currently allowing access to that pcs configuration remotely. It gave no clue as to what application this registery key was related to.

I've just noticed on another machine that remote access has automatically been turned off (this machine is used exclusively by someone with an adminstrative account).

Doe's anyone know what this registry key relates to? All my machines are XP Pro SP2 and remote assistance is (or was) turned on.

Tom

Sunday, November 18, 2007 5:00 PM

Answers

•  

Hey Tom,

This is not really a firewall issue, but part of our new "proactive fixes and recommendations" feature included in OneCare v2.0. Specifically, the fix you encountered was that access to your machine's configuration was allowed remotely. This is not like Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop, which you may or may not want to allow. Instead, OneCare noticed that your machine was allowing its configuration to be set remotely...you likely would not want others not in your OneCare Circle on the internet to change your computer's security settings!

-John

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:28 AM

All replies

• Interesting, Tom... I have remote access turned on and OneCare doesn't touch that setting. Are the machines that are having this issue on a network identified as Private?

-steve

Monday, November 19, 2007 2:05 AM
  • Steve,

No its home/work setup.

Tom

Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:04 PM
  • That would be a private network. If it were public, I could understand it being disabled.

-steve

Saturday, November 24, 2007 2:06 AM
  •  

Hey Tom,

This is not really a firewall issue, but part of our new "proactive fixes and recommendations" feature included in OneCare v2.0. Specifically, the fix you encountered was that access to your machine's configuration was allowed remotely. This is not like Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop, which you may or may not want to allow. Instead, OneCare noticed that your machine was allowing its configuration to be set remotely...you likely would not want others not in your OneCare Circle on the internet to change your computer's security settings!

-John

Thursday, November 29, 2007 2:28 AM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the explanation. That clears it up.

I was a little concerned as the pcs in my circle have remote assistance enabled and i also use norton pcanywhere and my first thought that OneCare was stopping PCanywhere (I did have an av package that though it was malware) from working.

Thanks for your help

Tom.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 7:07 PM
  • John,

Quick question - Is there a log within OneCare that shows this action? It would be useful if there is as users can see, if they wish, what changes have been made.

Are changes made by OneCare reversible?

Tom 

Friday, November 30, 2007 8:15 AM
  • Open OneCare, click on change settings, go to the logging tab, click on create support log. A report opens in the browser.

Scroll down to the Performance Plus section.

No, they are not reversible, nor are they configurable - which is a bit of an irritation. I don't want a screensaver set up, nor do I want OneCare deleting my Temporary Internet Files. I have no clue what the other items checked daily are.

Here's a snippet of my report:

11/23/2007 2:51 PM

A tune-up settings check was completed
    Check type: Daily
    Check start time: 11/23/2007 2:50:43 PM
    Check end time: 11/23/2007 2:51:14 PM
    Total number of unique settings checked: 15
    Total number of settings that required fixes: 2
    Total number of settings that were fixed: 2
    Status code: 0

Setting fixed: "Temporary Internet files were deleted."

Setting matched: "Temporary Internet files were deleted."

Setting fixed: "Screen saver was set up."

Setting matched: "Screen saver was set up."

-steve

Friday, November 30, 2007 2:52 PM
  • I had heard of OneCare changing some settings (e.g.setting up auto updates), which it could be argued is appropriate for a package that is designed for the non techie, but making changes non-reversible is a bit too far.

I think that this should be an option at set-up to allow such auto configuration with an option to change it.

Tom

Friday, November 30, 2007 6:24 PM
  • Well,

This has really messed me up.  With the One Care Trial I could not 'add' other machines so I subscribed, paid and now find researching the web after 2 days of trying to find what I have done wrong that I can no longer access my kid's PC's with 'pcanywhere' because of this lockout.  I am disabled and that was the only way I could maintain my kid's machines from my laptop as I am bedridden and the PC's are in other rooms.  Surely this could be switchable via a hgh security option rather than be imposed as a proactive fix ?

JM (UK)
    Monday, January 7, 2008 8:22 PM
  •  John767 wrote:
    Well,

This has really messed me up.  With the One Care Trial I could not 'add' other machines so I subscribed, paid and now find researching the web after 2 days of trying to find what I have done wrong that I can no longer access my kid's PC's with 'pcanywhere' because of this lockout.  I am disabled and that was the only way I could maintain my kid's machines from my laptop as I am bedridden and the PC's are in other rooms.  Surely this could be switchable via a hgh security option rather than be imposed as a proactive fix ?

JM (UK)

JM, I haven't used PCAnywhere in ages, but I would imagine that it should work with OneCare, but may simply require a port or ports to be opened on your PC and the kid's PCs if they are also running OneCare.

This page, http://service1.symantec.com/support/on-technology.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/603ec963588a5d2e8825734e0058c2c2?OpenDocument, indicates that you need to open TCP port 5631 in the firewall for PCAnywhere.

From Help:

Open a port
    1. Open OneCare.
    2. Under Quick links, click Change settings.
    3. On the Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    4. On the Ports and Protocols tab, click Add.
    5. In the Name box, type a name to help you identify the port.
    6. Select from the following:
      • Under Protocol, click TCP or UDP.
      • In the TCP or UDP list, click TCP, UDP, or TCP/UDP.
      • In the Port Range boxes, specify a range. To open a specific port, type the port number in both boxes.
      • Under Connections for this protocol or port range, in the For Connections box, click Inbound, Outbound, or Both.
      • Next to Scope, click Internet or Local network (subnet).
    7. Click OK, and then click OK again.
    Note

To find out what port range to open or whether the port should be TCP or UDP, contact your software manufacturer, or review the product documentation

You may also need to allow the core PCAnywhere program file to have access, but I suspect that it will be recognized automatically, or you may be prompted to allow it.

If OneCare is also installed on their PCs, I can't tell you what remote configuration features are being disabled, but you may want to contact OneCare support if the above information doesn't restore your ability to remotely access their PCs.

How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 1:09 AM