Backup vs compression RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings, I have a question i hope you beautiful people might help with, i have read quite a bit on these forums and searched but i have yet to find a solution that I`m happy with.

Issue: To much data, not enough compression.

Environment:

Win 2008 server ( 10 TB - 8 utilized) - File-server, streaming server to 3 clients

WHS Server (6 TB -  6 utilized) - Backup server, FTP and Web.

Problem description:

Now i have tried different backup programs; Built in WHS backup, Nova backup, windows server backup, Symantech Backup Exec and a few others.

(I not sure i managed to get the full compression potential out of Backup Exec, i found it a bit complicated to install and setup)

My issue is the shear size of the data, i have not found a backup solution that compresses the data sufficiently. 

I have to run almost an 1 to 1 storage capabillity to have backups of win2008 onto WHS; which is to expensive.

I have tried to compress the backup files from the various backup software with winrar (using "Best" compression) but this takes an insane amount of time and the results are not adequate.

So currently I`m actually copying my most important folders using Novabackup`s Mirror copy functionality, and i will try to compress the hard discs on the WHS box.

This gives me fast access to backup files ( which i don't really need) no compression whatsoever, and i do not have space to backup all of my data (which is what i really want)

Question in a sentence:

Any good suggestions on how to set up a backup regime using any software, that will enable me to maximize compression on backup sets thus keeping cost down is greatly appreciated!

Cheers From Norway,

Rune

Foot note: If you haven't tested XBMC yet, you are missing out.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 7:37 PM

Answers

• Probably you will find no "good enough" solution that will be inexpensive enough to suit you, if buying a small pile of external drives and using Windows Server Backup (i.e. wbadmin) will break the bank.

In the enterprise, tape is king, but you'll spend well into 4 figures for LTO-5 (which you'll need given your data volume). Nothing else is likely to deal with the volume you're talking about; LTO-4 is about 35% cheaper per drive, but you'll more than make that up in media.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:04 PM

All replies

• Probably you will find no "good enough" solution that will be inexpensive enough to suit you, if buying a small pile of external drives and using Windows Server Backup (i.e. wbadmin) will break the bank.

In the enterprise, tape is king, but you'll spend well into 4 figures for LTO-5 (which you'll need given your data volume). Nothing else is likely to deal with the volume you're talking about; LTO-4 is about 35% cheaper per drive, but you'll more than make that up in media.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:04 PM
  • Not surprised Ken was first on the ball on this one, a frequent and knowledgeable poster as far as i can deduce ;)

Thank you for your prompt input, and I was afraid this was the case.

Yours,

Rune

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Something you might want to try is "Crash Plan".  They are a back up service that will allow you back up your whs server to the web.  It takes a while for the initial backup (mine took 9 months), I now have no worries about the size of my whs server.  I am currently running 10TB of space with about 2.5TB free.

Good luck

Sunday, September 18, 2011 4:12 AM
  • If it took 9 months to back up, did you ever wonder how long it would take to restore?  Could you be without your data for that long?

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Something you might want to try is "Crash Plan". They are a back up service that will allow you back up your whs server to the web. It takes a while for the initial backup (mine took 9 months), I now have no worries about the size of my whs server. I am currently running 10TB of space with about 2.5TB free.

Good luck

BullDawg
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:59 AM
  • I could swear I replied to this last night...

Backup to "the cloud" looks quite attractive, because you set it, forget it, and it's backing up off site. Restoring is another story. Typical residential broadband connections will take anywhere from days to weeks per terabyte to restore large volumes of data, and in most places there are bandwidth caps that will take effect after only a tiny fraction of all your data has been restored.

As a data point, it would take some 8 weeks to restore 7.5 TB on my cable modem connection, assuming I could saturate my connection for the entire time (unlikely). My monthly cap is a generous 400 GB (or was the last time I checked; I don't use more than a small fraction of it in any given month so I don't really pay much attention to that line item in my bill :) ), so I'd get about 5% of my data back before my ISP cuts my transfer rate to a trickle or starts to charge me per MB for transfer over my cap.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:39 PM