how add drive to backup pool, NOT data pool? RRS feed

• Question

• How does one add a drive to the "backup" drive pool, used to perform backups on computers connected to WHS? I'm running WHS PP3 version, and my one 500 GB backup drive is full.  I have five computers being backed up.

I added another drive, using the option "add seleccted disk as server backup target" option of "add selected disk, labeling it backup2.

However:

1.  there is no other "add drive" option, other than "add selected disk to the Storage Pool", which I know isn't what I want ...more backup storage space; and

2.  WHS doesn't appear to be using the "backup2" drive as the "backup" drive is still showing as red / with warning triangle and "Attention Needed" over the drive label.  The added "backup2" drive has remained with 0 bytes used under the drive category "Server backup Disks".

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:28 PM

All replies

• >1.  there is no other "add drive" option, other than "add selected disk to the Storage Pool", which I know isn't what I want ...more backup storage space; and

That is actually what you want and what "add to storage pool" does...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:48 PM
  • How does one add a drive to the "backup" drive pool....

Hi Terry,

There is no such thing as a "backup pool".
    WHS Server backup functionality was added to enable backup copy of your data in the shared folders. You can not "span" backups over multiple drives. So if your backup drive is full you have two option:

1. Delete a previous backup to free up space.
    2. Use multiple backup drives (each holding a sub-set of your data folders)

For more information, please read the WHS online help (help option from the WHS console) at "Home Server backup"?
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 11:09 PM