Connector fails at configuring computer backup RRS feed

• Question

• The situation: Failing sys drive.  I bought a new hard drive, pulled the old drives out of the server, installed a fresh copy of WHS on the new drive.  Fully updated WHS.  Copied data from the old drives onto the new one, adding two into the pool as I went.  No problems, the data's all there.

Went to one of the client PC's to connect.  I can get to the server through Network Neighborhood and can browse to Software, find the Connector, the Setup runs.  It asks for the password, everything's normal until the very end, when I get a red x at "Configuring Computer Backup".  The backup service is running, already checked that.

Only weird stuff in the HomeServer log is as follows, at install:

Unexpected error 0x2740 from bind: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.

Client Backup server failed at d:\qhsv1_rtm_qfe\qhs\src\backup\util\listener.cpp(128)

Any tips or insight?
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:19 AM

Answers

• That error was from the Home Server event log on the server, not near the connection but I looked at the whole log.  But never mind, Olaf, I've decided that there are so many problems with the install that I'm going to wipe and try again.  We'll see if the problems recur.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, December 28, 2009 5:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Don3580 Monday, December 28, 2009 1:04 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Don3580 Monday, December 28, 2009 1:04 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:17 PM

All replies

• Did you try a reboot of the server and the client?
    Also try to install the connector software from http://yourservername:55000 instead.
    Had the client an installed connector software before, and if so, did you uninstall it?
    Are the .msi files in \\yourservername\software\Home Server Connector Software the most current version (here 10/7/2009 for the English version with PP3)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 10:07 AM
  • Did you try a reboot of the server and the client?
    Also try to install the connector software from http://yourservername:55000 instead.
    Had the client an installed connector software before, and if so, did you uninstall it?
    Are the .msi files in \\yourservername\software\Home Server Connector Software the most current version (here 10/7/2009 for the English version with PP3)?
    Olaf
    Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Thanks for your reply!

Don
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:35 AM
  • Hi Don,
    was the error message you posted in the first posting on the client or on the server? In any of the special home server log files or in the event log on the server?
    Near the time of the attempted connection?
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:04 PM
  • That error was from the Home Server event log on the server, not near the connection but I looked at the whole log.  But never mind, Olaf, I've decided that there are so many problems with the install that I'm going to wipe and try again.  We'll see if the problems recur.

• Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Monday, December 28, 2009 5:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Don3580 Monday, December 28, 2009 1:04 PM
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 11:17 PM