trial of home premium to activated proffessional RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I recently got a new computer to replace my old one which had vista on it. I decided to go straight to windows 7 so I borrowed an install disc for home premium and installed to give it a go. Now however I have legally bought a digital download of proffesional however it wont let me do the anytime upgrade as i havent already activated windows and I don't want to lose all my drivers and programs already installed by having to re-install windows. It also wont let me activate with the key I have as it says its for proffessional
    Please help
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:14 PM

Answers

• Hello meowmixnix,

This forum is for the support of Windows 7 Validation (non-genuine) issues.

I recommend posting your question in the 'Install, Upgrade and Activate' section of the Windows 7 Answers Forum http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Note: If your digital downloaded Windows 7 Professional is an Upgrade, then you must upgrade for a Licensed copy of Windows.  If the new computer that you bought, came pre-installed with some form of Windows then you can upgrade from that, but you can not upgrade from a Trial.

Thank you, 

Darin MS
    Friday, March 19, 2010 7:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you're offering such a mix of upgrade options that's really hard to follow you.
    One possible try (but I could be wrong): Your old computer "had Vista on it", thus could have been upgraded to Windows 7 without greater problems (in-place or via custom install, depending from your Vista version).
    Your new computer seems to have been delivered without OS, and you "borrowed an install disc for Home Premium" for a first try. Ok. If you did buy a full version of Windows 7 Prof now, no problem again. You could upgrade the HP version to Prof, only by inserting your (Prof) key - assumed, you respected some other upgrade requirements (no cross-language, cross-architecture, cross-channel upgrades = no FR-FR > EN-US, no x86 > x64, no OEM > RTL upgrades or something similar).
    If you bought an "upgrade version" of Windows 7 Prof, things are getting more complicated. On your new computer, there would be no qualifying version of Windows, a borrowed HP install without an own key doesn't count. On your old computer, there could be one (Vista) but most likely you can't transfer the license to a new computer (tied to the hardware).
    At the moment, I don't know what to suggest you. It would be helpful if you could explain the situation with a bit more details.
    "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” (Thomas J. Watson, Sr.)
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:04 PM
  • Hello meowmixnix,

This forum is for the support of Windows 7 Validation (non-genuine) issues.

I recommend posting your question in the 'Install, Upgrade and Activate' section of the Windows 7 Answers Forum http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7

Note: If your digital downloaded Windows 7 Professional is an Upgrade, then you must upgrade for a Licensed copy of Windows.  If the new computer that you bought, came pre-installed with some form of Windows then you can upgrade from that, but you can not upgrade from a Trial.

Thank you, 

Darin MS
    Friday, March 19, 2010 7:35 PM