Discovery.exe command line arguments RRS feed

Answers

• You need to go to the IIS settings, and make sure that all the values are correct there. Alternatively go to Start>Run>services.msc>OK then check that IIS and all dependant services are running, if so, try restarting them.

I found the issue with unknown network error was that it could resolve through the IP, but not through the name 'server'. To get around this I added a line to the HOSTS file

192.168.x.x  Server  #WHS Beta

And now it connects perfectly every time :)

Hope this helps,

Dave
    Monday, March 19, 2007 9:05 PM

All replies

• ony problems I have had is when ping server fails.

Grey

Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:38 PM
  • You are fortunate... despite having been able to setup 3 different machines, 4 others still resist.

2 fail I suspect because they cannot resolve the name ‘server’ (either in a \\server or ping server) context while the other 2 can see the server but fail in just the same way regardless of if the password is correct or not.

Sunday, March 4, 2007 7:28 PM
  • I'm having a similiar failure. I cannot install the connector on 2 machines. they are both wireless clients running windows XP Home I can ping the server from both but setup fails after you enter the password with the same "an unknown network error has occured"
    Monday, March 5, 2007 4:57 AM
  •  Rex Geissinger wrote:
    I'm having a similiar failure. I cannot install the connector on 2 machines. they are both wireless clients running windows XP Home I can ping the server from both but setup fails after you enter the password with the same "an unknown network error has occured"

I found my problem with installing the connector and recieving  the "an unknown network error has occured" message. I also have to admit that "I" broke it. The problem was the "default" website was not running. I'm sure this is not the cause in everybody's case but if the client connector install fails after you put in the password and you have played with IIs like installing Sharepoint or adding your own content, check and see if the "Default " website is running. It is needed for connector software installation and remote access though the Web.

Monday, March 5, 2007 7:45 AM
  • How do I run the "Default Website"?
    Monday, March 19, 2007 8:27 PM
  • You need to go to the IIS settings, and make sure that all the values are correct there. Alternatively go to Start>Run>services.msc>OK then check that IIS and all dependant services are running, if so, try restarting them.

I found the issue with unknown network error was that it could resolve through the IP, but not through the name 'server'. To get around this I added a line to the HOSTS file

192.168.x.x  Server  #WHS Beta

And now it connects perfectly every time :)

Hope this helps,

Dave
    Monday, March 19, 2007 9:05 PM
  • Dave,

I found that IIS means Internet Information Services.

I found IIS on the client "C:\windows\system32\inetsrv" this takes me to "ishostsvc.exe" when I click on this I get a command prompt window. I don't have a clue what to do next. I can find similar IIS on the server, but again I don't know what to do.

I also made the changes in the HOSTS file as suggested above. 

I have used Linux for a server for several years and it works OK, but I want a Windows server to make it a little easier for others to operate.

Maybe WHS is a little beyond my capabilities. I am not yet ready to give up.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 6:15 AM
  • Happy Days Are Here Again.

After 2 days of breaking my back on WHS I finally read on Microsoft's website that one gentleman corrected the problem by:

1) Uninstall Connector software.

2) On server change workgroup back to WORKGROUP. Reboot.

3 On client change workgroup to WORKGROUP. Reboot.

I am now connected!!!

It will take me several days to change all of the changes that I had previously made back to where they probably belong, like turning on the firewall.

Tuesday, March 20, 2007 8:50 PM
  • Does this mean that you had changed the workgroup name from workgroup?

Thanks,

Still......Grey

Thursday, March 29, 2007 11:55 PM
  • Thanks very much.  This problem is only one aspect of the problems I've had with this computer on my network.  I have long suspected that the problem was something installed by her college network administrators, but I've never found it.  Don't know how I forgot the hosts file, but that was the issue.  They had a bogus setting there.  Removed that, added your suggested line- Problem solved.

Since my next step was a backup and than blasting her hard drive back to bare oxides, this was a huge help.

Thanks again.

Kevin

Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:00 PM
  •  Still Grey wrote:

Does this mean that you had changed the workgroup name from workgroup?

Thanks,

Still......Grey

As I was browsing the threads looking for interesting information I ran across this one which has me somewhat concerned. Does this mean we can only use the name "WORKGROUP" in order to get all connections between WHS, clients and Remote Access to work properly? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but I thought we could name our workgroup anything we wished. While I don't currently have the Connector software working, WHS in showing as Connected to my network, I can ping it, and I can ping all my clients from the Server. I am waiting to finish clean installs of WinVista Ultimate on all my machines. I appreciate any clarification on this subject, thank you,

Seree

Friday, April 27, 2007 11:54 PM
  • Yes Seree You can change the Workgroup name to anything youd like

Rex Geissinger

Monday, April 30, 2007 1:41 AM