CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011 Upgrade - Installation Questions RRS feed

• Question

• Time to bite the bullet and start looking at upgrading 4.0 to 2011, need to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible as CRM has become so integrated into our company I cannot afford any down time so I am seeking some advice.

So my first question is in regards to installing CRM 2011...

Can I install CRM 2011 and use the same SQL server that my CRM 4.0 deployment is using or will CRM 2011 try to overwrite the Config database?

Thanks in advance

David Hodgson
    Add me on Twitter and LinkedIn
    www.infinitygroup.co.uk
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:16 PM

Answers

• Hi David, I went through the same steps recently as part of a proof of concept for a customer.

Basically, you can try doing an in-place upgrade on your existing CRM 4.0 system, but this is pretty risky because if anything goes wrong then you have to reinstall CRM 4.0 from scratch and then restore your database backup. If you're trying this on your production server, that's your weekend plans stuffed (and your next promotion).

A lower-risk approach is to install CRM 2011 on a clean set of servers and then import your a backup of your CRM 4.0 database. Many customers will choose this route, especially if they have 32-bit CRM 4.0 web servers since these won't support CRM 2011. CRM 2011 will cleverly recognise that it's CRM 4.0 and upgrade it for you. It took just under an hour for my VM to upgrade my very small CRM 4.0 database, so be patient.

You can run CRM 4.0 and CRM 2011 using a single database server, but you have to install each application against a named instance of the database. I installed CRM 4.0 and CRM 2011 in separate named instances and it was fine, but I didn't test the scenario where CRM 4.0 is installed against the default database instance and CRM 2011 is installed against a named instance.

Next week Microsoft will announce when CRM 2011 will be available to download, until then, you'll have to play with the Release Candidate.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by DavidHodgson Friday, January 14, 2011 5:18 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:52 PM

All replies

• Hi David, I went through the same steps recently as part of a proof of concept for a customer.

Basically, you can try doing an in-place upgrade on your existing CRM 4.0 system, but this is pretty risky because if anything goes wrong then you have to reinstall CRM 4.0 from scratch and then restore your database backup. If you're trying this on your production server, that's your weekend plans stuffed (and your next promotion).

A lower-risk approach is to install CRM 2011 on a clean set of servers and then import your a backup of your CRM 4.0 database. Many customers will choose this route, especially if they have 32-bit CRM 4.0 web servers since these won't support CRM 2011. CRM 2011 will cleverly recognise that it's CRM 4.0 and upgrade it for you. It took just under an hour for my VM to upgrade my very small CRM 4.0 database, so be patient.

You can run CRM 4.0 and CRM 2011 using a single database server, but you have to install each application against a named instance of the database. I installed CRM 4.0 and CRM 2011 in separate named instances and it was fine, but I didn't test the scenario where CRM 4.0 is installed against the default database instance and CRM 2011 is installed against a named instance.

Next week Microsoft will announce when CRM 2011 will be available to download, until then, you'll have to play with the Release Candidate.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter. Join over 10,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

• Marked as answer by DavidHodgson Friday, January 14, 2011 5:18 PM
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Very very helpful as always Neil and I have just started to look at the named instances possibility when you replied :)

Will let you know how I get on.

As you say RC is available however if I get all of this running OK can I upgrade to RTM or will a clean install be needed?

Thanks

David Hodgson
    www.infinitygroup.co.uk
    Friday, January 14, 2011 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

I have just completed the install of CRM 2011 RC. CRM 4.0 is using the SQL default database and CRM 2011 is running in an instance.

Now time to perform the upgrade, hopefully this will be straight forward but I cannot see if as I have a heavily customised CRM 4.0, there goes my weekend.

Thanks

David Hodgson
    www.infinitygroup.co.uk
    Friday, January 14, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Hi Neil,

Is it possible to have CRM 4.0 and CRM 2011 running on same server but dofferent instance of SQL without having to upgrade from version 4.0 to 2011? I would like to have two version of CRM running parallel in same server and slowly shutting down old version. Is it possible? Even though I have created a seperate Organization Unit in AD with SQL instance for both DB and SSRS but everytime I want to install, it keep asking me to upgrade. I would like to install it in a seperate port# on IIS too. You suggestiong will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Hi,

It should be fine to have CRM 4.0 and CRM 2011 accessing the same SQL server machine as long as they are on different instances. (It is not possible to have two MSCRM_CONFIG databases on a single instance so that is why you need two instances.) However, you won't be able to run the CRM 4.0 server and the CRM Server 2011 on the same machine (if you try to do that, setup will try to do an in-place upgrade). Therefore, you'll need three machines: one SQL machine with two instances, one CRM 4.0 machine, and one CRM Server 2011 machine.

When you are installing CRM Server 2011, be sure to specify the SQL server and instance that you want to use for CRM 2011 (i.e. SQLServer\CrmInstance). Otherwise, setup will try to use the default instance of SQL which I'm guessing is where your CRM 4.0 MSCRM_CONFIG database resides given the error that you posted.

Let us know if this works for you.

Thanks,
    Michael

Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:55 PM
  • The only problem I found with installing CRM 4.0 and CRM 2011 on separate SQL instances is that it's usually best to install the SSRS CRM Connector on the database server, but the CRM 4.0 and 2011 versions of the connector can't co-exist on the same server, so you have to install the connectors separately, usually on the application servers (which can lead to all sorts of Kerberos hell).

Thursday, May 5, 2011 9:11 PM