none
Synctoy folder exclusion RRS feed

• Question

•  

Is it possible to use the command line or graphical interface to exclude particular folders, other than the 'select subfolder' view?

The reason I ask is that I'm syncing a large number of directories, and wish to exclude particular folders from the sync - which always have the same name ('My Settings', as the directories being synced are user folders in a shared network space). The 'Select Subfolder' view takes a significant amount of time to read the folders and many subfolders, and would be very time consuming to manually go through unchecking the folders. There are too many different file extensions contained within it to go down the route of exclude file types. I was hoping there would be a command line or other route to making Synctoy exclude particular folder names.

Thanks for any help on this.

John

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 9:12 AM

Answers

• Sorry, but there is currently no way to filter out folders by name. The command line support is only for creating folder pairs or executing active folder pair sync.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:18 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but there is currently no way to filter out folders by name. The command line support is only for creating folder pairs or executing active folder pair sync.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:18 PM
  • I am missing the ability to exclude folders by name as well. Perhaps the two edit boxes Include files and Exclude files in Folder pair options could be made a little more general in this way (accepting wildchar patterns for both file and folder names). Deselecting subfolders in a deep directory structure is really not comfortable at all. I vote for this feature to be considered in the next release! Thanks.
    • Proposed as answer by UKTechnoGran Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:17 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 11:52 PM
  • I know nothing whatsoever about shared network spaces! But presumably, you only wish to keep certain sub-folders from the "My Settings" folder on the shared network space synchronised to a local drive but not others? So wouldn't it be easier if you just created one main folder on your local drive and then create sub-folders within it and then to create seperate "folder pairs" for each sub-folder? Because surely you could more easily navigate to the sub-folders on the shared space using Windows Explorer than trying to do so using SyncToy's select sub-folder interface?
    • Edited by UKTechnoGran Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:03 AM better idea
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 1:29 AM
  • I aggree to rsladek, excluding folders from the command line should be included in the new version..

Thanks,
    Taner
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:19 PM
  • This is a needed feature. Excluding .svn folders is rather tedious.

><>

Friday, October 26, 2012 1:54 PM