\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom built system that I am trying to setup for WHS.  I am currently running a EVGA nForce 650i Ultra Mobo with 4gig Kinston HyperX Pc 26400.  I have several brand new HDD disk ranging from 320gb upto 1TB.  Every time I try to boot from cd and install WHS once the Windows is Loading files screen appears to be complete I get the same error. File:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
    Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing or corrupt.

I have tried everything I know possible including the below.
    1. Tried using different hdd in case of a bad one.  Tried both a 320 gb and 3 different 1 TB
    2. Pulled all but one stick of RAM and replaced it as well to verify the RAM was not faulty.
    3. Updated BIOS and changed option for 1 TB drive to large versus auto.
    4. Redownloaded disc from MSDN and burned at 4x to ensure there were no errors with disc.
    5. Set memory timings to 4-4-4-12 as specified by the manuf.
    I am at a loss.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Just tried to load Windows 7 RC 64 bit and I get this error.

File: \Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Info: Windows failed to load because the kernels is mising or corrupt.

Thanks,
    Brannon Gillis
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 2:41 AM

Answers

• Yes I tried different slots with different dimms.  All with the same result.

I tried with the default bios settings and also tried with the manufacture suggested settings of 5-5-5-15 2.0v.  Same result.

I have requested an RMA from EVGA.  Its been over a year but hopefully they will agree.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:49 PM

All replies

• I have a custom built system that I am trying to setup for WHS.  I am currently running a EVGA nForce 650i Ultra Mobo with 4gig Kinston HyperX Pc 26400.  I have several brand new HDD disk ranging from 320gb upto 1TB.  Every time I try to boot from cd and install WHS once the Windows is Loading files screen appears to be complete I get the same error. File:\windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
    Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing or corrupt.

I have tried everything I know possible including the below.
    1. Tried using different hdd in case of a bad one.  Tried both a 320 gb and 3 different 1 TB
    2. Pulled all but one stick of RAM and replaced it as well to verify the RAM was not faulty.
    3. Updated BIOS and changed option for 1 TB drive to large versus auto.
    4. Redownloaded disc from MSDN and burned at 4x to ensure there were no errors with disc.
    5. Set memory timings to 4-4-4-12 as specified by the manuf.
    I am at a loss.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Just tried to load Windows 7 RC 64 bit and I get this error.

File: \Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    Info: Windows failed to load because the kernels is mising or corrupt.

Thanks,
    Brannon Gillis

Perhaps it's your data cable (the one between the mobo and the hard drive).
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 5:28 AM
  • Yeah I tried three different sata cables when I was trying different hdd.  I also tried 3 separate CPUs and IDE DVD drive.  The only thing I haven't swapped out is the PSU which I seriously doubt is the cause, the GPU, and the mobo.

I am starting to think it is the mobo but I am not certain how I can verfiy to be sure.  Any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has recommendations on a mobo for WHS that would be great.  Since it won't be attached to a monitor except for setup I am fine with onboard video.  It just needs to support an Quad Core Q6600 or Q8400.  I would also like to keep the PC2 6400 RAM.

System BIOS Cacheable is already disabled.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 4:40 PM
  • Yeah I tried three different sata cables when I was trying different hdd.  I also tried 3 separate CPUs and IDE DVD drive.  The only thing I haven't swapped out is the PSU which I seriously doubt is the cause, the GPU, and the mobo.

I am starting to think it is the mobo but I am not certain how I can verfiy to be sure.  Any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone has recommendations on a mobo for WHS that would be great.  Since it won't be attached to a monitor except for setup I am fine with onboard video.  It just needs to support an Quad Core Q6600 or Q8400.  I would also like to keep the PC2 6400 RAM.

System BIOS Cacheable is already disabled.

Considering both WHS and Win7 are burned images, have you tried replacing the DVD burner and/or using a different program to burn the images with?  Did you use the DVD drive that is currently in your server to burn those images (or a different optical drive)?  Also, at least with WHS, trim down your hardware to the bare minimum during install (i.e. only 1 hard drive, on-board video if available, etc.)
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 6:32 PM
  • Yes.  I tried using two different drives one on my laptop with Windows 7 built in software and the other on my desktop with Nero.  I didn't use the drive that is in the server. 

I only have one hdd connected when trying to load the OS and have removed all unnecessary components even the front USB connections.  I don't have the option of using onboard video as all my systems have attached GPUs.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 2:37 AM
  • Yes.  I tried using two different drives one on my laptop with Windows 7 built in software and the other on my desktop with Nero.  I didn't use the drive that is in the server. 

I only have one hdd connected when trying to load the OS and have removed all unnecessary components even the front USB connections.  I don't have the option of using onboard video as all my systems have attached GPUs.

Any chance the optical drive in your server is only a CD drive (not DVD)?
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 6:14 PM
  • No sir.
    Monday, May 25, 2009 3:35 PM
  • As you replaced the memory, did you try different memory slots as well?
    Also you could try to increase the voltage for the memory (I have had my Asus board running instable after a Bios update with automatic settings - crashed during or short after boot process - until I increased the voltage for the memory modules as one of the last attempts. Now, with different memory modules, I can use the automated settings again.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, May 25, 2009 8:24 PM
  • Yes I tried different slots with different dimms.  All with the same result.

I tried with the default bios settings and also tried with the manufacture suggested settings of 5-5-5-15 2.0v.  Same result.

I have requested an RMA from EVGA.  Its been over a year but hopefully they will agree.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:49 PM
  • Thanks for all you help.  EVGA refused my RMA request, so I ordered a new one from Gigabyte and was able to install WHS upon installing it.  I ran the OS for approximately two weeks before removing it.  I must honestly say that there were just too many issues to consider this OS stable.  I had constant issues with the connectivity resulting in errors when copying large files.  I also was never able to get the Media Center Connector probably install on any of my pcs.  I had to shut off all firewalls and then would get a incompatibility error.  I read all the post and tried all the solutions to no avail.  I have since reformated and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7.  The server runs flawlessly now.

I would be willing to try WHS again but only after all the bugs are worked out as in my opinion there is still a lot of work to be done to make this OS ready for mainstream use.

Regards,
    Brannon Gillis
    Monday, June 15, 2009 1:21 PM
  • I know this is probably a shot in the dark, considering the amount of time it has been since you posted this thread, but I'm having the exact same problem with a custom built trying to install Win 7.

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be in cause.
         File: \windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
         Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt.

I went through all of the same troubleshooting that you have described, and I even replaced the mobo and attempted the install again.  Still have the exact same error.  I realize that you installed WHS after you received your new mobo, but do you have any suggestions for me?

-Mike Martin
    • Proposed as answer by Annu Bhai Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:07 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:52 PM
  • Mike you dont need to waist your time for troubshoot  check your system RAM and replace  the faulty module thats it. Thanks
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 9:09 AM
  • I had the same error. It was the memory! Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by mrpeisich Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:39 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by mrpeisich Friday, March 30, 2012 11:15 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 2:37 PM
  • Yes, definitely a memory problem. Test it using Memtest+.
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:07 PM