Cannot open backups from two Vista machines RRS feed

• Question

• Everything is working fine from my XP machine. I can open backups and restore files. But both of my Vista machines have some kind of problem.

1. On the first Vista machine, which is my main computer, I cannot open any backups. The progress meter gets to 100% and disappears, but the explorer Window doesn't appear. On this machine, I am logged into the real Administrator id, so there is no UAC. This is the most troubling because if I have to restore a file for that machine, I have to go to the XP machine, and then point the restore to my main machine in network places. I am running Live One Care as the anti-vrius firewall product.

2. On the second Vista machine, I can open that machine's backups, but I can't open the main machine's backups.Either the process just hangs or I get a message saying the Z: drive is not accessible. Access denied.  Here I am running McAFee anti-virus and firewall. I tried this with UAC on and off. Neither way works except for that machine's backups.

I think if I can't get some answers and fix this, I wil just wipe everything out and start all over with a clean install. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:36 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

sounds like this is a known bug in the CTP build and has been solved in other non released builds, have a look at Talq.

Let us know if you find another work around. I am experiencing this myself.

Thanks,

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:46 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

sounds like this is a known bug in the CTP build and has been solved in other non released builds, have a look at Talq.

Let us know if you find another work around. I am experiencing this myself.

Thanks,

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 2:46 AM
  • Thanks for the info.

Wonder if they will let us test a newer build soon.

Mike

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:47 PM
  • I'm seeing this same problem on a Vista client.  See bug report 273402.  I can view both XP and Vista backups from my XPPro client but neither from my Vista client.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:57 PM
  • I have the same problem on Windows Vista.  Windows System Log shows 2 information entries:

1. Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service volsnap for Device Instance ID STORAGE\VOLUME\HOMESERVER24 with the following status: 0.
    2. Driver Management concluded the process to install driver FileRepository\volume.inf_9320b452\volume.inf for Device Instance ID STORAGE\VOLUME\HOMESERVER24 with the following status: 0.

Windows Application shows 1 information entry:

1. Fault bucket 12365141, type 5

Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode

Response: None

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: x86

P2: STORAGE\Volume

P3: {71a27cdd-812a-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}

P4: 0000001F

P5: volsnap.sys

P6: 6.0.6000.16386

P7: 11-02-2006

P8:

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Windows\Temp\DMI9C1.tmp.log.xml

C:\Windows\Temp\LOG9E1.tmp

C:\Windows\inf\volume.inf

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Report0edb0bd3

The same test in Windows XP SP2 was successful.

Sunday, May 27, 2007 1:07 PM
  • has any one got a work around for this?
    Sunday, May 27, 2007 8:00 PM
  • I could not find any work for Windows Vista around nor is the problem mentioned in known issues.  I assume that the Windows Home Server team do browse these forums, perhaps they could suggest something.  Have you got access to a Windows XP workstation, if so, you should be able to open the backup there.
    Monday, May 28, 2007 5:23 AM
  • sorted, a bit of a work around and hope it gets sorted. I installed a Xp virtual machine then added the home server connector. Then could get the files out i needed.
    Monday, May 28, 2007 11:29 PM