Cannot Add Transactions After Restoring Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I really hope someone can help me with this problem.

Our desktop is running Windos XP and we have Microsoft Money 2002.  Initially my husband and I were set up as 2 separate users where each of us had Money loaded on our individual user accounts.  However, for all of our financial record keeping, we only used the version on my husband's side.  Now, that our children are getting old enough to adventure online, my husband and I merged our user accounts in order to set up a parental controlled account for the kids.  In doing this merger, I backed up our money file in the "Public" Folder on our hard drive and restored it onto the version that was loaded under my original user account which is now the account for my husband and I.  The restoration appeared to be seemless, however, now when I go to enter new transactions, I get a pop up message that says "This transaction cannot be entered."  What am I doing wrong?  Please help!

Thanks,

SPMiami

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:53 PM

All replies

• I presume you are not merging the files, but are merging the versions to run on the same Money 2002 install. Actual merging would be done with QIF export and import. Make sure you backup your data files onto other media as part of your backup strategy.

To solve your error message, I suggest making a repaired version of your file by doing a level two standard repair. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902466

You could first try a "quick repair". After opening the problem file, close Money. Then re-open Money with Start->Run and entering
    "msmoney -s" without the quotes into the box. This quick repair will not hurt, but I predict that the standard repair will be needed.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Yes, the same version of money was installed on each user account, I'm simply just trying to transfer the information from on e to the other....ok, I'll try these fixes, one moment...
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Actually, the wuick repair worked!!!!  This is awesome!  Thank you very much for saving me from a meltdown! :)
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:27 PM
  • Cal, can you please email this posting to me.  I'd like to have both options as a fix just in case, we have this problem later in the future?  Thank you.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:34 PM
  • Cal, can you please email this posting to me.  I'd like to have both options as a fix just in case, we have this problem later in the future?  Thank you.

Just save the page on the link in the first reply to your disk. In IE, you can do File->SaveAs and choose type .mht. This file can be viewed later.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:42 PM