Path too deep error -- Any solution yet? RRS feed

• Question

• As other people on this forum have mentioned, Windows Home Server does not play nice with large files (above ~5GB or so).  To date, I have not been able to copy any file larger than a few gigabytes to my WHS machine, as attempting to do so either completely locks up the system or results in the "Path too deep" error that others have complained about.  This happens whether I'm copying the file across the network or from a USB hard drive connected directly to the WHS box.  I have tried copying using simple copy-and-paste in Windows Explorer as well as using Microsoft SyncToy.  The Windows Explorer method usually results in the "Path too deep" error, followed by a sluggish system that ends up forcing me to reboot; whereas the SyncToy method almost always causes a complete system crash.

Anyway... I say all that to say this:  Has anyone found a workable solution to this problem?  If I am unable to store my large files (movies, software ISOs, home videos, etc.) on my WHS machine, then the product really isn't of any use to me.  If I can't find a solution soon, then I'm just going to go back to plain old Windows XP.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 8:57 PM

Answers

• Ok... I found an acceptable workaround to the problem.  I removed one of my drives from the WHS storage pool and gave it its own drive letter.  I then created a shared folder on that drive and was able to successfully copy all of my large files to this share with no problems.  Of course, since this drive is not part of the WHS storage pool, the shared folder cannot be managed using the WHS management console and I can't take advantage of other nifty WHS features such as duplication.  But neither of these limitations is really an issue for me since I can easily manage the share via Remote Desktop, and I wouldn't have enabled duplication for these files anyway because of their size.

The best part is that this change is completely transparent to all of the client PCs on the network.  They simply see this new shared folder as a standard SMB file share, no different than any of the standard WHS share folders.  So whenever the WHS team fixes this problem, I can add the drive back to the storage pool and create the share within WHS without needing to change anything on any of the client PCs.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:04 PM

All replies

• Also... because I know someone is going to ask...  None of the files I'm copying have file names (including the path) anywhere near the 256 character limit.  This is true for the source location as well as the destination.  These files are being copied from a path like E:\Movies\<filename> to a location like \\Server\Movies\<filename>, where <filename> is never longer than 30 or so characters and doesn't contain any special characters or multiple periods or anything that should cause a problem.

Of course, I would argue that WHS should be able to support filenames with special characters and names longer than 256 characters anyway, since other versions of Windows already support this (Unicode file names).  But that's another topic. 

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 9:04 PM
  • Hi James:

I have been trying to get the exact repro of this problem for sometime on an in-house system. I am using a 3 Disk configuration. What configuration is yours? Do you have duplication enabled on those shares to which you are copying?

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 9:55 PM
  • I have about 15 large TV files (DVR-MS HDTV recordings) each about 6 or 7 gigs on WHS, I have no problems copy the files to WHS, in this build or the build before.
    I know its no help, but just to let you know it is working here.

Edit: I have set it to no duplication for my recorded TV folder on WHS(because of the size of the recorded TV files).

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 10:29 PM
  • As I'm one of the other users with this issue, I'd like to say that I don't have file duplication enabled on the destination folder.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:51 AM
  • I am also one of the ones having this problem of transfering large files.  D ... I wonder if you could try this inhouse with a gig network  to a gig network.  I ask this because when I copied a 45 gig file from my 100m card system to WHS which has  gig network card in it I had no problem.  But when I copied a 7 gig file from my Vista sytem with a gig network to WHS with a gig card in it it wouldn't work.  This was also using cat 6 cable on all systems with gig cards.
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:20 AM
  • I initially had folder duplication enabled for the shares that I was attempting to copy these large files into, and I thought that might be the cause of the problem.  But even after disabling folder duplication, the problem still continues.  Sad

Also, related to the networking suggestion.  My house has a wired CAT-6 gigabit network, and all of my computers have gigabit ethernet adapters.  I am able to transfer very large files (over 20 GB) across the network to/from other computers with no problems.  The WHS machine is the only computer that has this issue.  Also, this issue only happens when I'm copying to the WHS storage pool.  If I copy the files to a drive that is not part of the storage pool, it works flawlessly.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 2:50 PM
  • You have to remember that although the SHARE name is only "\\server\movies", the actual folder on the WHS box is probably something like "{S-1-5-21-2052111302-725345543-472545530-121609}" because of the way Drive Extender handled data.

• Proposed as answer by George_6844 Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:43 PM
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:55 PM
  • Ok... I found an acceptable workaround to the problem.  I removed one of my drives from the WHS storage pool and gave it its own drive letter.  I then created a shared folder on that drive and was able to successfully copy all of my large files to this share with no problems.  Of course, since this drive is not part of the WHS storage pool, the shared folder cannot be managed using the WHS management console and I can't take advantage of other nifty WHS features such as duplication.  But neither of these limitations is really an issue for me since I can easily manage the share via Remote Desktop, and I wouldn't have enabled duplication for these files anyway because of their size.

The best part is that this change is completely transparent to all of the client PCs on the network.  They simply see this new shared folder as a standard SMB file share, no different than any of the standard WHS share folders.  So whenever the WHS team fixes this problem, I can add the drive back to the storage pool and create the share within WHS without needing to change anything on any of the client PCs.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:04 PM
  •  Jwo wrote:
    You have to remember that although the SHARE name is only "\\server\movies", the actual folder on the WHS box is probably something like "{S-1-5-21-2052111302-725345543-472545530-121609}" because of the way Drive Extender handled data.

If this is the case, then WHS should have checks in place to ensure that its auto-generated file names don't exceed the maximum length.  Or better yet, WHS should use Unicode file names to avoid this limitation altogether.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 8:21 PM
  • Hi all!

First post, so treat me gently! I've been running WHS for about a week now and I have to say, I'm mightily impressed. Well done MS on this!

I too, however, am having the "Path too deep" error. To be honest, I'm going to quibble James (sorry mate!) and say that whilst your solution is certainly viable, it's not somethig I'd like to do, nor a lot of people really. It removes valuable storage from the pool that I'd rather keep.

Also, this happens with files of <5GB and where the name is nowhere  near the limit. Talking maybe 350Mb but often when copying in bulk

For anyone wondering, my setup is as follows:

Recycled desktop with a P4 @ 2.4GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 1x160GB HD, 1x250GB HD (both in the pool) other bits and bobs. Folder duplication is on everything.

The files that I've tried to copy, I have done so both via the network and via an external USB HD. Don't necessarily get the error on the same file if I do it network and then external drive, so don't know if that's useful?

Anyway, keep up the great work MS! This one will be superb once the tiny niggles are ironed out!

Friday, May 11, 2007 7:57 PM
  • Hello, could you please give the following details? I am trying to get this issue reproduced, and so far I'm out of luck. (I tried copying 195 GB worth of music to a shared folder which has duplication turned ON.)

1. Path of the file(s) that are failing.

2. Nature of copy (Was it a single bulk copy, what was the rough no. of files in the copy, what was the average file size, what was the biggest file size, was duplication ON for that folder)?

3. Your storage configuration - How many drives, sizes, types (IDE, SATA, External)

Friday, May 11, 2007 8:33 PM
  • I never had a problem of "Path too deep" so here are my details of WHS if it helps.

1. path "\\SERVER\Recorded TV" (folder I added from WHS console)

2. I do single copy and bulk copies, copying from MCE 2005. Drag and drop file or files using the WHS Shared folder icon on MCE 2005 desktop, the duplication is off on WHS for that folder, file size are about 6GB to 7GB (HDTV DVR-MS files).

3. I have only two 500GB SATAs same make same modle.

Other info My Network is only 100, only 512 ram on WHS,

Edit: I know is not much help. but if can find which configuration its working on that may help you.

Friday, May 11, 2007 8:57 PM
  • The problem occurs regardless of whether it's a bulk copy or a single file copy.  It also doesn't matter whether I use SyncToy, RoboCopy, XCopy, or Windows Explorer to perform the copy.   Nor does it matter whether folder duplication is enabled for the target location.  The error also occurs regardless of whether I'm copying from a local USB hard drive or from a network location.  The source location is E:\Movies.  The destination is \\Server\Movies.

Copying any amount of small files works perfectly.  That is, I can copy 10 GB of photos with no problem, since each individual file is realtively small (less than 5 MB).  The problem only occurs (for me) when copying at least one very large file (around 5 GB or larger).  If I try to copy several files of different sizes, the small files copy without a problem, but the copy process locks up as soon as it gets to the first large file.

Other people on this forum have suggested that the problem was not with WHS, but was a hardware issue.  But this is not the case, since I am able to copy the files successfully if I remove the drive from the WHS storage pool.  All the hardware involved (drives, ethernet adapters, storage controllers, system busses) is the same -- the only difference is that the drive is no longer in the WHS storage pool.

Here is the hardware configuration of my Home Server system:

Processor:  AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (Dual Core)

RAM:  2 GB

NIC:   2 x 10/100/1000 ethernet adapters

Hard Drives:

2 x 250 GB SATA (internal)

6 x 500 GB SATA (internal)

1 x 250 GB SATA (external USB 2.0)

The USB drive is not in the storage pool.  It is the source drive from which I'm trying to copy the large files.  All other drives are in the storage pool, and one of the 500 GB drives is the system drive.

Friday, May 11, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Thanks Richard for the information. It sure will help to narrow the configuration down.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 9:26 PM
  • James 8 internal HDD,  what PCI SATA card do you have?
    Friday, May 11, 2007 9:38 PM
  • lol...  I actually don't have a PCI SATA card.  My motherboard (Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5) has two onboard SATA controllers, one with 2 x SATA II connectors and one with 6 x SATA II connectors. 
    Friday, May 11, 2007 10:01 PM
  • James great motherborad, just trying to find a common denominator, trying find why it working on some systems and not others.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 10:19 PM
  • If anyone else can give details on there WHS system, working or not with copying large file to WHS that would help.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 10:28 PM
  • I tried copying a 5 gig folder with vob files from a dvd.  This was from a Vista machine and a XP Pro machine to WHS Video folder.  This was on a gig network with cat6 cable.  All machines running the same network card (Intel 1000) through a Netgear GS108 Gigibit switch.  WHS has a 320g WD drive as primary and 250g WD as secondary.  The secondary is almost full and the primary is about empty except for the 10g partition.  The file transfer stops about half way through with a can't find vob error.  I can copy the same files to the naslite server which has a 100bit card with no problems.
    Friday, May 11, 2007 11:27 PM
  • Hi,

sorry it's taken me a while to get back.

1. Path is \\Server\Video and \\Server\Music

2. Several different bulk copies, roughly 100 files on one instance of around 350MB each and another try of about 1500 files each 3-6mb each (itunes)

3. 2 drives, both internal IDE, sizes as above.

hope this helps? If you need more, let me know.

Saturday, May 12, 2007 10:20 PM
  • Ok. Reinstalled last night because I changed my case and motherboard. Now, not a problem. Copied all the files flawlessly. Go figure...
    Sunday, May 13, 2007 8:59 PM
  • Hi, I have the same problem, but to a lesser extent.  I can't remember when exactly I get this problem.  Whether I copy them to the "Shared Folders on Server" folder or whether I did it via manually mapped drives, but I think I got a better result via the mapped drives.  I still get this problem if I try to copy too many things at once to the Server, i.e. copy files from one folder to the Server and while that is copying, copy other files from another folder to another folder on the Server.

Do try the map drive option as it may work better for you.

Cheers.

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:22 AM
  • My server path is \\SERVER\movies

The nature of the copy is usually 5-10 folders containing 8-20 files. But I also have issues with folders with 1 large .ts file of between 8 and 20GB

Storage configuration is:
    1X 400GB IDE
    1X 320GB IDE
    3X 500GB SATA
    2X 750GB SATA

Motherboard is a socket 754 MSI board with a 3200+ processor and 2.5Gb RAM

Monday, May 14, 2007 1:49 PM
  • Sorry, should have said... new motherboard is:

Asrock P4VM890 PCIE 478

Socket 478 for Intel Pentium 4 / Celeron D (Prescott, Northwood, Willamate) processors

• VIA P4M890 + VIA VT8237R Plus Chipsets
    • FSB 800/533/400 MHz and H-T Technology
    • Untied Overclocking : During Overclocking, FSB enjoys better margin due to fixed PCIE/ PCI Buses
    • Supports DDR400, 2 x DIMM slots, with max. capacity up to 2GB
    • Integrated VIA UniChrome Pro 3D/2D Graphics, DirectX 7.0 VGA, Max. shared memory 64MB
    • Hybrid Booster - ASRock Safe Overclocking Technology
    • 1 x PCI Express x16 slot
    • 2 x Serial ATA 1.5 Gb/s connectors, support RAID 0, 1, JBOD and "Hot Plug" functions
    • 5.1 Channel Audio, 10/100 Ethernet LAN
    • ASRock I/O Plus: 6 ready-to-use USB2.0 ports

old one was:

Asus P4B533. Sorry, don't have the spec for that. Everything else remains the same

Thanks

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:22 PM
  • Hi Folks,

I will be approaching this from a different route than most I gather but it looks like i may get the most benefit from putting my findings here since microsoft may have a peek at my rambling

I am an embedded systems designer ( eg single chip computers used in industrial / consumer goods) and due to the fact USB is much more common than RS232 now on PC hardware  I have to wade through datasheets trying to understand different protocols/ transport layers etc and bugger around with the silicon perpherials.

My current hardware platofrm is an ARM7 microcontroller with 64K or RAM and 256K of Flash. It has a USB cell plus aload of other bits and bobs.

The USB cell is configured to be  a Mass storage device and the media the data is stored on is an external MMC card that I communicate with using a SPI port ( it must be the slowest method going but its  easy using the perpherials on the chip)

The USB is using Bulk transfer and this is controlled by the PC eg it can send commands or 64 bytes Blocks to the slave USB device which will either respond with a response to the command or a 64byte block.

The commands that are sent are scsi spc2 commands and from this the PC can get details about the media its going to access.  The embedded device under the direction of the host just reads or writes sectors asked for or given. it does no calculation or manipulation where the data is put

So what am i doing

the MMC is formatted as a FAT16 media.

The PC is a bog standard dell running xp

I am writting from the pc to the embedded device. I drag and drop a folder with a 665K ish  file and  4 folders  and 4 files of 665K in each folder  

What do I see

it makes a directory enrty for a directory and assigns it to Data cluster 2

in data cluster 2 there are the directory entries for the 665K file and 4 folder entries.

it assigns a cluster chain start in the fat table to data cluster 3 and the copies the contigious data for the 665K file from 3 to data cluster 0x4D8 eg sector  1752 =  1240 data clusters + 1(boot) +240(fat1)+240(fat2)+32(directory entry)

It then updates the fat tables and terminates the cluster chain at 0x4D8.

so far we have created one  folder and copied a 665K file to the media

this is where i think something weird is going on

for the first of the four folders it makes a directory entry and assigns the start cluster as 0x4D9 and in that data cluster creates the next directory entries for the 4 files.

but the mathes seems wrong it actually writes the data to physical sector 5472 as if the size of each sector is 2048 bytes rather than  512 bytes per sector it then writes the first file to the dataclusters then goes to update the FAT tables and it then falls apart it checks the directory entries and I am assuming it goes to datacluster 0x4D8 and does not find the data correctly formatted for director entries so terminates the cluster chain in the FAT at 0x4D9    

so in the fat you have a correct cluster chain correctly terminated for the first 665Kb file and for the second file the chain is started but the immediately terminated. the directory entry is also deleted but its still present

The PC then throws up the "path to deep" warning.

Running chkdsk on the mmc card didn't throw up any issues I then used diskexplorer to look at sectors and try and find out what happened.

looking at card after resetting all the hardware can see the first directory has created and the first file has been written. but other correct data has been written apart from the links to it seem wrong 

So what could be happening

the usbdriver for MSD may be getting sector maths wrong

there could be a file system conflict between NTFS and FAT16

Why doesnt this happen all the time

well i am running the MMC card comms on the SPI bus at 6Mhz and in tests i have done it takes about 100ms for a 10K file 

so if XP has a time out for what it thinks the file should have been transfered in, this may then bring in the other faults. eg mathes problems for the sectors

If I use a third party MMC reader that uses a 25Mhz sd interface it writes the folder and files okay so speed seems to play an important part in if this error occurs.

I have yet to check out the layout of a correctly written card eg I found this all out last thing on a friday but on monday i will try and confirm it

I could be totally wrong but thats what i think has happened

But are there any updates for the XP USB drivers I could try or can others see a possible driver that if updated may fix the issues i think i am seeing

thanks

Dan 

Friday, June 8, 2007 11:14 PM
  • Looks Like I don't know my arse from my elbow.

a good card layout seems identical andI missed the fact that data clusters are 4 sectors wide

So I guess its a time issue but i am looking further

Monday, June 11, 2007 9:49 AM
  • Sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm getting that same mobo and don't see a way to contact Sqiggs by PM or e-mail...

Hey Squiggs,

I just ordered one of these mobo's to replace the BioStar board that seems to be losing its primary IDE controller (and therefore won't boot).

How's this board working out for you in general?  Does the WHS install recognize the SATA controllers, or did you have to use the F6 salute, or did you just load the drivers after the main install was done?

Any issues with this board and WHS I should be aware of?

And back on topic.... has the "path too deep" issue been solved in the coming RC1 release?

Thanks!

Monday, June 11, 2007 7:59 PM
  •  

I too am having difficulties when trying to copy large files from a USB HDD to my media pool, after a while I got the same error message.

But it is not always, sometimes it works and sometimes not.

I also extracted a large file from another computer directly onto my WHS video share and that works great.

Also the disk performance is very low on the media pool.

File duplication has been turned off at a later stadium.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 3:25 PM
  • After some searches, I found references of this being an error message thrown by default when hardware errors occur. I am not convinced of that.

I tried copying large files to my WHS install (OEM pack version) and it would accept some files up to 10 GB... But anything over that (my largest file is 30 GB) and it would fail with this error.

So obviously this is not fixed in the retail version. I hope it's fixed with one of the first automatic updates.

I am currently using a 250GB external drive to store those large files, but then there's no automatic duplication and as mentioned before no management through the console.

Thursday, September 6, 2007 8:29 PM
  • Some things I've changed that seem to have solved my problem:

- Removed NOD32 - this didn't change anything and the error was still happening...

Then

- Changed the Windows Defender configuration , so that it won't scan files in realtime. I left it checking other items and running a daily scan and

- Changed the system performance back to System Cache instead of Applications.

Note that System Cache is the default, and I have changed it while installing some applications. After this I was able to copy my 30 GB file back to the pool...

Friday, September 7, 2007 5:33 AM
  • Not so fast... The second file didn't copy.

I am now going through another route: I am using WinZIP to create a zip of this large file, but splitting it in smaller 1GB files.

Let's see how it goes. I will post the result in a few hours...
    Friday, September 7, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Winzip had no problems reading the file from its location and placing the zip parts on the shared folder. It took 2.5 hours on my P4 HT  (2.5GB RAM, 3GHz) to compress the file.

So that's what I am doing now... For large files, larger than 5GB, I simply compress the files, with the option to split in 1 GB files.

Or at least until Microsoft can come with a solution for this problem... Here's hope.

Saturday, September 8, 2007 12:12 AM
  • Could you please specify exactly what your client and server configuration is in terms of hardware (including chipset) and software – specifically if you have any anti-virus software running on the client or server. Can you please also attempt the file copy while taking performance counter information for us to review:

Here's how to set up a Data Collector set:

1. Click start > type in perfmon > click OK > in the Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor navigation pane, expand Data Collector Sets > right-click User Defined > point to New, and click Data Collector Set. (The Create new Data Collector Set Wizard starts)
    2. Enter a name for your Data Collector Set.

3. Select Create manually and click Next.

4. Select Create data logs.

5. Check the 'Performance Counter' box next to the Create data logs and click Next > click Add > expandable categories will be listed, please select the requested counter (listed below this block of text) > click Add > browse for the next counter to be added and repeat until you have selected all necessary counters > click OK

Counters to add:

From the 'Cache' category, add:

a. Cache\Data Map Hits %.

b. Cache\Data Maps/sec.

c. Cache\Lazy Write Flushes/sec

d. Cache\Lazy Write Pages/sec

From the 'Physical Disk' category, add:

e. PhysicalDisk\Avg. Disk Queue Length

From the 'Processor' category, add:

f. Processor\%Processor Time

6. Click Next on the 'Create new Data Collector Set window > Make note of the path that the data will be saved to > click Next > Select the 'Start this data collector set now' radio button and click Finish

7. Begin your large file copy and allow the data to be collected

Please let us know when you've completed the collection of this data and I will contact you offline to retrieve the log files. Thanks much!

Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:04 AM
  • Background information:

ASUS P5WD2-Premium (Socket 775 LGA)
    Intel P4 HT 3GHz
    2.5GB RAM DDR2
    160 GB HDD (internal, ATA)
    1 TB Maxtor USB 2.0 (in pool, connected to on board USB)
    500GB Seagate USB 2.0 (in pool, connected to PCI USB)
    250GB Simpletech (not in pool, connected to PCI USB)

No AV or Antispyware

File copy (single file, 31,457,281 bytes) from Simpletech to share, while RD to server

The instructions you provided are to collect data on a Vista machine. I am trying the copy directly on the server, so it would be good to be get it from there.

I can create the set on the server, but I can't find how to save the collected data as a log. Any idea?

Thursday, September 13, 2007 10:03 AM
    • Start/Run/perfmon, hit Enter.
    • Expand the Performance Logs and Alerts branch.
    • Right click Counter Logs, select New Log Settings...
    • Provide a name.
    • Add the counters as Mark specified on the first tab of the dialog.

Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:31 AM
  • And don't forget to start the log!!

In perfmon (right click on the new logbookitem you just created and select start). You can specify how (format) and where the log should be stored when you create the item, or edit the properties of the item.

And don't forget to stop the log!! 

Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:26 PM
  • Thank you guys...

Hmmm. How interesting. I have now copied this large file (30GB +) three times to different folders and the copy completed three times without problems.

Friday, September 14, 2007 1:39 AM
  • Please let us know if you see this issue again, we are looking for a repro we can investigate

Thanks,

Mark

Friday, September 21, 2007 11:17 PM
  •  Mark Vayman wrote:

Please let us know if you see this issue again, we are looking for a repro we can investigate

Thanks,

Mark

It just happened again. I have the perflog file to submit. Please contact me...

Cheers

Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:07 AM
  • Could you please contact whsforum@microsoft.com?

Thanks,

Mark

Saturday, September 22, 2007 12:57 AM
  • This has been pretty frustrating.  I may not be able to use WHS as a storage solution.  I have many large files 15-20GB in size.  I can hardly ever get them to transfer.  I either loose the network connection or Path too deep errors.  I don't understand why a simple copy to WHS doesn't work.

Anything i can do to help get a solution?

I have a new Dlink GB network card with Marvel chipset and I am not on the released version on WHS yet.  I won't buy if I can resolve the copy problems.

Friday, October 19, 2007 1:40 AM
  • jsjames,

Can you please contact wshforum@microsoft.com we would like to work with to see if we can understand this issue,

thanks

Mark

Friday, October 19, 2007 3:07 AM
  •  Mark Vayman wrote:

jsjames,

Can you please contact wshforum@microsoft.com we would like to work with to see if we can understand this issue,

thanks

Mark

Email sent.  small typo in the address above.  Fixed it though, I assumed whsforum like the post a few above.

Jeff

Friday, October 19, 2007 10:07 PM
  • I have also just begun to experience this "too deep" problem while copying a large mp4 video file.  I am not using whs, just plain old XP Media Ctr w SP2 & up-to-date windows updates.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Hi All,

I had this same problem but found a solution.

I have an Areca 1120 RAID card with 5 750GB drives attached.  When copying files to this storage pool, I would get the "path too deep error", usually on 500mb+ files.

I turned off NCQ (native command queueing) on the array and no longer have the problem.  Some drives refer to this by its older variant, TCQ (tagged command queueing).

Microsoft needs to create a repro environment with NCQ enabed on the drive, and then fix it!

Hope this helps!

-shoek

Monday, November 5, 2007 7:03 PM
  • Interesting... But where would we find this settings for other devices? Device Settings? BIOS? Command line util?

I don't remember seeng this anywhere...

Monday, November 5, 2007 8:00 PM
  •  freitasm wrote:

Interesting... But where would we find this settings for other devices? Device Settings? BIOS? Command line util?

I don't remember seeng this anywhere...

I found it in the firmware of my RAID controller.  I've seen it as well on other systems on the device manager property pages for the drive itself (inside Computer Management).

Monday, November 5, 2007 10:05 PM
  • I am getting the "path too deep" error as well.  I have 2 HP EX470 and they have WD 1TB drives installed.  I get the error on both. It ought to be an easy configuration to check since these are off the shelf (except for WD drives) systems.  I can reproduce this over and over on both systems.  The paths are very short on duplicated shares when transferring large (>10GB) files. 

I have 2 home-built WHS systems and have moved the exact same files to them over and over without problem.

The person above that mentioned NCQ may be on to something.  I noticed the drive setup on the HP listed as Internal (SCSI) where my home-built systems show Internal (ATA).

Has someone posted an answer to this somewhere else?

David
    Monday, November 26, 2007 3:20 AM
  • The HPs use SATA drives. That is why they will be shown as SCSI.

Monday, November 26, 2007 3:28 AM
  • All of my systems use SATA drives.  I think it's the controller mode (IDE or AHCI) that determines whether it shows as IDE or SCSI.

I would simply turn NCQ off to give this a try but I can't find anywhere to do that.  As the system is "headless", I can't look at the bios to see if there is a setting or not.

In any case, if I copy any file larger than 8GB, regardless of the path, I will get the "path too deep" error and the network connection starts coming and going...  This happens within seconds of starting to copy these files.

???

Monday, November 26, 2007 4:29 AM
  • Hi,

This might be problem with the Antivirus Installed on your Windows OS. To make sure the problem is with your Antivirus, Disable the Antivirus service for a while and then try to copy the files and see whether it give the same "path too deep error"

Wednesday, November 28, 2007 6:14 AM
  • I have the HP Media Smart server, and experienced this problem. I removed my second drive, and no problem. Put in the 2nd drive and problem starts again. Even without folder duplication turned on. I have a Vista32 machine on the same switch, and I can copy at 30-40 MB/sec over my gigabit switch to that machine.

If I plug my Home Server into the 100mb switch that is attached to the gigabit, I don't get the burst/pause/trickle problem. I just get 5-6 MB/sec until the file is transferred. I didn't invest in a set of gigabit switches and such to have this sort of problem slow me down. It didn't matter if the drive I added was an internal SATA or an external USB drive. I still have the problem. I love my little HP box, but I was hoping for a better experience than I would have gotten from a homebrew server.

This is very frustrating as many of the uses I have for this box are for 800 MB to 3 gig files. I want to use it as a repository for my TV shows from media center and Tivo, and this is just too slow.

I've got a spare machine that I'm going to try to get an unactivated copy of the software on to see if I experience the same problem with that machine and it's configuration (3 PATA drives).

Bryan

Sunday, December 2, 2007 3:59 AM
  • I'm encountering the same problem from a different direction. I've been playing with the evaluation version of WHS and deleted files from one of the shares. I'd like to say that was an intentional test of the system, but I'd be lying. I'm trying to use the "Previous Versions" tab on the share's properties dialog to get back the deleted info.

In my case, the files had all already been successfully added to the share. It was only when I tried to restore the previous version that the problem started.

Here's what I did... First, I selected the version I want, then clicked the restore button to completely restore the entire share. The first several files were small (9KB to 545MB) and worked fine. I started receiving the "path too deep" error on files over about 1.5GB (anywhere from 1.53GB to 4.08GB).

I then tried to restore some files individually by using the view button on the previous versions tab of the properties dialog. That opens an Explorer window where I can drag and drop files wherever I want. When trying to drop them on a WHS share, the same files generated the same error. Dropping them on a local drive worked. I was then able to recopy them back up to the server with no issues (so far).

I tried both variations both working locally as administrator on the WHS system and on a networked PC. The same problems and solutions seemed to happen for both ways. On the WHS system I used the shares instead of the D: drive since the previous versions tab doesn't appear for the shared D: drive folder, it only appears when using a share.

File paths are relatively short, the shortest being 33 characters (including server name) and the longest being 54 characters. Previous versions looks like it may add another 35 or so characters when it adds " (Today, January 03, 2008 12:00 AM)" to the path when viewed in Explorer. Even then, we're still talking well under 256.

System Info:
    WHS Evaluation copy, Build 3790 (Service Pack 2)
    P4 3.0 GHz on ABIT IC7-MAX mobo (Intel 875P northbridge, ICH5 southbridge)
    2GB Corsair RAM
    3 - 500GB HDDs (1 IDE, 2 SATA)

The system partition seems to be on one of the SATA drives. All shares are duplicated. I have not tried to remove drives from the storage pool as suggested by someone earlier (I was afraid that might hose the saved previous versions).

Friday, January 4, 2008 1:13 AM
  •  

It's gotten to be too much of a pain for me.  Even after purchasing the software (after testing).  I've given up.  I could not move any files back onto a fresh install (most files are LARGE 8-30GB). 

It would crash during the copy.  Worked with Microsoft a few times testing beta drivers, helped in the beta version but didn't help in the purchased version I have now.  May end up trying linux.  I was really hoping to use WHS, but with it not handling large file copies and the known corrupt file issue, I'll have to hold off.

The support from this forum has been great, thanks!

Jeff

Friday, January 4, 2008 1:32 AM
  • How is this not solved yet??  How can this be so broken with large files?  Build 3790 as well.  I actually went out and bought new SAS hard drives and reinstalled WHS since I thought for sure it was my drives going bad!!  
    Saturday, January 12, 2008 12:27 AM
  • No, it is not solved not even in Power Pack 1 RC...

I too thought it could be the external drives but I have now four Seagate FreeAgent 500GB drives all new, but the error happens even if I copy something from the system drive to a share.

It's really annoying when you have videos larger than 3GB and the only way to move files is by using a client to copy from one share to another.

This is the single most annoying problem I've seen on WHS and still not fixed.

Saturday, January 12, 2008 9:21 PM
  • I am also unable to copy large files (~5GB or so). The the explorer window that reports progress simply disappears and no error is displayed... Where do u see this "path too deep" error?

The transfer slows down considerable until it finally disappears...

I am trying to transfer to a shared folder with duplication enabled. The system drive is WD SATA 1TB GP. WHS's mobo is ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe.

I am transferring from a Windows Vista PC. Windows Defender turned off. Nod32 turned off. Not sure how to turn off NCQ.

Appreciate any help
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 2:45 PM
  • Yep got the same issue. Can reproduce it on a fairly regular basis. Running a multi disk system, Intel CPU's, lots of memory, 1GB switch, Adaptec aar-1430sa sata controller and 2 intel ich9 controllers.

And getting sick of seeing it...

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:01 AM
  • i've started getting this error now, when i try to copy over my dvr-ms files.

Just done a harware change to new motherboard processor etc, amd 4400x2 with 2gig of ram, i have 6 internal hardrives all accecible via drive letter, not been added to the pool yet, as they still have data on them that i need to move to the pool. The main storage pool consists of 1 internal 500gb drives and 2 usb 500gb, i'vegot almost a terbyte of video to move over, as you can imagine this is serious problem as i can't leave it copying a large chunk of data when i'm at work i have to sit and copy a couple of files at a time. i also sometimes get the odd message that the "target network location is no longer avalible" don't understand this as i am copying from a local drive and not across the network. I could probably copy thedata direct to the location on the D drive, but i have heard that this is not the most preferable way, and should always copy to the \\server\ location.

Has anyone made any progress on a solution to this issue yet?

Thanks

Monday, April 21, 2008 10:09 AM
  • I have had this symptom in the past, and seen several references to it in the forums. In my case, it seemed to be related to the speed of the transfer, in that I got the problem many times and was getting very frustrated until I discovered that changing from the 10/100/1000 NIC on the server to the plain jane integrated 10/100 NIC made the problem disappear.

With the file corruption issue seemingly being a timing issue where the server has a problem under stress, I'm wondering if this issue is also a timing issue, where the transfer fails or has a problem if it is going to fast and the WHS Drive Extender gets "out of synch".

Has anyone else had this problem while using a 10/100 NIC, or is it in fact mostly with Gigabit Networks?

My configuration - Core 2 Duo E4500, 1Gb RAM, 3x500Gb SATA drives, 10/100 NIC.

JohnBrown

Monday, April 21, 2008 11:45 AM
  • when i had my previous old mobo installed i was using the plain ols 10/100 integrated LAN and i never had this problem. I colud copy from a local disk, usb drive or another pc on the network. The mobo i have now has intregrated duel gigbit LAN, i can't see how this could be the problem though as my data is going from a local drive e.g H:\ to the \\server\videos directory.

here's a thought does WHS treat it as if the data is going to the network share from another network device, and some how route the traffic through the nic?

to be honest i have know idea and it's really begining to p**s me off.

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:00 PM
  • I too get this error every now and then. I had a single 4GB file that would trigger it every time. It has nothing to do with the actual path character length. I'm talking \\clientIP\share\somefile.iso to \\server\Software\somefile.iso which is nowhere near 255 characters.

Another error that's peeving me is "The specified network file name is no longer available". I mean, bloody hell, could you make these error names more ambiguous. What in the world is "Path too deep" supposed to mean. They both imply something that isn't true if taken at face value.

I still await a fix for both.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:36 AM
  • i thought i had sorted it last night, by going deeper into the file structure and copying individuel files instead if the parent folders, this seemed to be working fine. low and behold i get up this moring expecting to find all copying done, and what is greeting me? "The specified network file name is no longer available" i'm copying from a drive on the same system, not a network drive, how can the network file no longer be available, the systems has'nt gone down and neither has the network. This is close to being a deal breaker for me, i mean when everything is up and running WHS is great really stable with almost no down time, but this is a joke, i've currently been trying to restore my system to full working state for nearly 4 days, 4 days that's shocking.........

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 9:07 AM
  • I get the path too deep error when copying files from one folder on the server to another folder on the server.  This happens when the wireless network connection drops and the copy process was initiated from my laptop working over the wireless connection. 

It appears the WHS is copying the files from the WHS to the laptop and back to the WHS.  What a bizarre waste of network bandwidth.
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:24 PM
  • I just got this out of the blue today on a win2k3 sp1 server. I was copying small files from another win2k3 server and I couldnt get even 256k to copy. I got both messages : Path too long and "Network name no longer available.
    I disabled 802.1p support on the onboard 3Com904 LOM and also lowered the TCPWindow and so far it seems OK. Small and large files. SInce WHS is not that much different it may help, but then again it may not

Friday, May 2, 2008 7:33 PM
  •  BigCat400 wrote:
    I am also unable to copy large files (~5GB or so). The the explorer window that reports progress simply disappears and no error is displayed... Where do u see this "path too deep" error?

The transfer slows down considerable until it finally disappears...

I am trying to transfer to a shared folder with duplication enabled. The system drive is WD SATA 1TB GP. WHS's mobo is ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe.

I am transferring from a Windows Vista PC. Windows Defender turned off. Nod32 turned off. Not sure how to turn off NCQ.

Appreciate any help

You'll have to remote desktop into the WHS to switch off NCQ by going into device manager, then into your storage controller where the primary and secondary channels have the option (if the drives support it).  I've experienced corruption before on a Nforce chipset workstations running raptors or server class SATA drives which disappeared once it was switched off.
    Friday, May 2, 2008 10:33 PM

• I have found after having all sorts of issues (Path too deep error, share is no longer available, watching the demigrator.exe *** itself and knock out all the shares for 2-3 mins while it tried to recover) copying 7 files (4BG - 7.5 GB's) to the server that they seem to copy best the first time after the server is rebooted. This got me thinking and after trying to copy the files one after the other with continued failures, I decided to reboot the server,  copy one file and then close down the share and then reopen it and then try another file. This worked well. Granted it's painful and it stupid to have to resort to but after three weeks of trying to get the data copied it will suffice for the moment.

As for my setup I have not found all the details about how to turn off write caching or NCQ on my Server and have the server connected to the other computers through a 1GB switch then 100MB to the router.

Anybody else given something like this a try?

Note: I have not changed anything in my server and home net setup either in the last few months. All copies done when through a remote desktop session from a local (non-storage pool disk) to the server shares.

Monday, May 12, 2008 2:00 AM
  • I've been sifting through several of the postings in this thread and think that this sounds like you could be suffering from a network communication issue.  Several posters have touched on changing the NIC speed or turning on/off support for advanced options with mixed results.

These scenarios sound a whole lot like a series of intermittent network issues that I've been troubleshooting recently (and have experienced multiple times in the past).

I've troubleshot very similar issues in past at several locations that have used Cisco routers (and others) where there were layer-3 (network) communication issues at the switch, hub, or router (as well as at the client hardware level).

In most cases, the issue has it's origins in the fact that full-duplex communication is either interrupted or lost during the file transfer, thus causing the rather nondescript error.  The OS doesn't know what happened, only that communication between the client OS and the target file was lost - so, it guesses (rather poorly) at an appropriate error message to display. 

In all cases...tracking down, isolating and fixing the communication issues ultimately fixed the errors.  In a current enterprise environment that I'm supporting, their Cisco routers require a firmware patch in order to function optimally.  When they deployed the Cisco firmware update, it blew out other things (worse then the actual issue - or so they say).  At any rate, Cisco gave them a work-around to manually set all NICs on the LAN/WAN to 100Mbps / Full Duplex.  When they do this, all communication issues go away (including "Path Too Deep" errors).

While this fix is kind of bizarre and only related to their specific issue, I think it warrants merit and is worthy of further investigation in this case. 

Some additional errors that have been experienced as a result of the bad communication at Laye-3 are:

When working on an MS Office file (.doc, .xls, .ppt, etc.), where the file is located on a network share, users periodically experience a "Delayed Write Failed" error and are unable to save the file they're working on.  

- In the same situation listed above, users also can get "File not found" errors and "Path Too Deep" errors.

- The issue is not repeatable in any reliable way (e.g. the same file size, location, file name, file type, etc. can not be replicated even on the same machine - it's truly intermittent).

- Larger files seem to be more prone to errors then smaller files.

- High network traffic times seem to cause more errors (go figure).

Has everyone fully checked their error logs on the clients and network hardware (or turned up verbosity for log levels on the hardware) to see if there is a correlation similar to the one I've mentioned above?

Monday, June 2, 2008 2:20 PM
  •  

I don't know if this will be of any help, but just to let you all know that I had the same path to deep and file/share unavailable error messages when trying to copy large, and sometime not very large, files to my home server. I had installed a netgear WG311T wireless network card in my home server - for expediency. I've now drilled a hole through a wall put network cabling in, removed the wireless card and software, and re-enabled my 100MB network on the motherboard. Everything seems back to normal now. I had tried TeraCopy as mentioned elsewhere on the internet, but this had a problem with the wireless card in too.
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 10:31 AM
  • In general, "Path too deep" errors are likely to be problems with your network. Places to look would include pretty much everything from one end to the other: drivers (on both ends), network adapters (on both ends), switches, routers, cabling, etc. In the home environment, solving network issues is a difficult problem; most homeowners (even most technically sophisticated homeowners) don't have the ability/knowledge to track down obscure network issues.

Pete Cousins wrote:
    ... I had installed a netgear WG311T wireless network card in my home server - for expediency. ...
    Wireless connection of the home server to your home network is explicitly not supported. You may be able to install the card and drivers, but there are many issues that wireless networks have that will cause problems with your server. Wireless connection of a computer to your network (and server) for backup is not recommended for the same reason, and "bare metal" restores are not only not supported, they are not possible in a normal, secured wireless environment.
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Has anyone run into this error when the Sunbelt Personal Firewall is active?  I get this error on one file (small text file with a short path) with the firewall on.  If I turn the firewall off, the problem goes away.  I test several times to be sure.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:35 PM
  • I clean installed authenticated OEM version of WHS with PP1 bought from Newegg, on a desktop custom build with 2TB hard drives, enabled the auto updates, it upgraded to PP2 and over 63 security updates for over 380mb of non sense that Microsoft consider “Critical”, they consider data contents on my Home Server of pictures, wedding videos and MP3 is highly classified property.

My WHS is connected to a gigabit router, my first test was trying to copy one folder of pictures stored on a portable drive that has 880GB of data into my PC and copy to WHS, the folder is about 3.9GB, first error “the path is too deep”, well I tried to copy few files and increase by size until I reached the over 1GB of video file, the error comes back again, after intensive research I found the following solutions:

1.       I attached a 10/100 switch between the gigabit router and the WHS box, everything went well smoothly, I was able to copy 8GB of MPEG video that took almost 15 min to copy, no errors.

Solution #1 did not satisfy the purpose of having a SERVER over a NAS with annoying low speed transfer rate and no Web, imaging backup features, so I did #2.

2.       I decided to wipe off the Hard Drive and reinstall the WHS this time without enabling the auto updates,  removed the 10/100 switch and hook up to straight gigabit router, and test again copying that pictures folder that has 3.9 GB, guess what, success, copied smoothly , speed was outstanding, it copied in less than a minute.

Apparently MS has a bug in their updates between PP1 and PP2 and some additional non sense security updates.

My advice is, if you enable all the unneeded updates just to add useless icon of Windows Media Center into WHS settings even though streaming media works fine with PP1 than you have to attach 10/100 switch, an average 2GB folder will take 3 minutes to copy but it will solve “the path is too deep” error.

Here is the results:

2GB file on gigabit network takes about 40 sec, average 60 MB/s

2GB file on 10/100 network takes about 3 minutes, average 12MB/s
    • Proposed as answer by George_6844 Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:43 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 5:43 PM
  • Hi George,
    You may be interested to know PP3 has been out for a while now which may solve your problem.  I'd be interested to hear what you solution is to not installing patches for an operating system.

Al the best,
    Al
    --
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 9:56 PM
  • I am also having intermittent issues when copying files larger than 1gb to my home server shares.  I get great speed for the first 1-1.5gb (60-70MB/s) then disaster.  I either get the "no longer available" error message (although I can reopen the shares immediately upon getting the error) or speed falls dramatically to (2MB/s or slower) for the remainder of the transfer.  What should take a minute or so through my gigabit connection takes 15 mins or so.  All devices are properly installed (no "?" in device manager, all drivers installed) and the speed issue only occurs when a single file (and ONLY a single file) in above the 1-1.5gb range.  Transferring 4gb of photos is flawless.  PC backups are also very fast.  Hard drives on all systems are ok. 

Copying via remote desktop to the server is flawless (to a folder other than the shares, or to the desktop which then gets transferred to the proper share folder via cut and paste).  This seems to only happen when transferring via the shares (for me anyway).

My systems:

Source PC

Windows 7 Professional
    Intel i5 750
    4gb ram
    2x seagate 7200.10 250gb in RAID 0 (had them laying around lol)
    Radeon HD 5770
    Foxconn P55-MX mobo (Intel matrix storage, realtek NIC)

Router is DLink DIR-655 gigabit

Destination WHS PC

Nvidia 650i ultra mobo
    core 2 duo 6550
    2gb ram
    3x hitachi 1tb drives in RAID5
    1x seagate 1.5tb for backup (is a backup drive for files in WHS)

I too thought it may be a bad hard drive or something at first, but after reading this thread I'm pretty sure that's not the case.  Automatic updates are enabled and are up to date as of this post (and I am running PP3).  Any workaround/solutions yet?
    Monday, February 15, 2010 5:53 PM
  • I too am experiencing intermittent "Path Too Deep" and "No Longer Available" errors when copying large files to a WHS share.  I've tried to copy some large files from a different computer - same problem.  I've updated to PP3 - still have the problem.  I've changed out all my networking hardware from 100 to 1000 - still have the problem.  I've updated most of my SATA storage from 1 TB drives to new 2 TB drives (increasing my free space as a side effect)  - still have the problem.  I finally installed a 1 TB USB drive as a server backup and was able to fill this drive over the network with many large recorded TV files (up to 24 GB in size).  I then tried to move this data from the backup drive into a WHS share and was only able to move a couple of smaller (1-2 GB files) until the same "Path Too Deep" and "No Longer Available" errors returned.  I'm also wondering if any solutions are to be had...  Since installing the first retail version I've suffered through several backup database resets and recently had a hard drive left in limbo by a failed attempt to perform a "Remove" operation; so I'm probably looking at a reinstall soon anyhow.  I was just hoping the copy problem could be resolved before I do so.

System:
    MOBO:  ASUS P5B-PLUS
    Processor:  Intel Core 2 Duo (2.4 GHz)
    RAM:  3 GB
    NIC:   MOBO adapter (disabled), Intel Pro 1000 ethernet adapter
    Hard Drives:
       2 x 1 TB SATA (internal)
       6 x 2 TB SATA (internal)
       1 x 1 TB SATA (external USB 2.0)

Thursday, February 25, 2010 5:59 AM
  • I am also getting a path too deep error. I have a disk which i use to 'stage' files on before moving them to a share. however when moving large files from the 'staging' disk to a share I get the path too deep error. Has Microsoft found a solution to this bug yet?

Thanks
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 6:58 PM
  • I am also having problems copying large files to a WHS (all patches applied). I did the following in order to trouble shoot the issue, and I mayhave narrowed down the isssue. Perhaps someone can pitch in with ideas on what to try next.

In general the error happens when I try to copy large files to a WHS share that is duplicated. I use a Win7 client PC and copy a number of filesfrom the Win7 client to a share on the WHS. If I copy small files I have no problems. If I copy several large files, then I get a 'There is aproblem accessing \\WHS\Share. Make sure you are connected to the network and try again' error after a few minutes on the Win7 client I am copying the files from. My WHS backups have never failed even though they are several GB in size. There are no errors in any of the windows event logs. Below are my results. ERROR indicates that I can reproduce the issue, and WORKING indicates that I cannot reproduce the issue.

Swapped out network card (ERROR)
    Reinstalled NIC, Motherboard etc drivers (ERROR)
    Copy from client PC to duplicated share (ERROR)
    Copy from client PC to non-duplicated share (ERROR)
    Copy from duplicated share to client PC (WORKING)
    Connect a USB drive to WHS and start a copy locally on WHS using RDP to a duplicated share (WORKING)
    Removed drive from WHS drive pool. Formatted it and created a normal windows share using RDP. Copy from client PC to share. (WORKING).

This leads me (as described by others above) to believe that the error is related to writing on the WHS storage pool on shares somehow, and not to the client PC or any hardware/driver issue on the WHS. If you look at it from a black box perspective, then it would seem like it's the process that is doing storage balance/duplication that tries to access the file before it is completely written to disk.

I have no virus checking software running on WHS. It is pretty much a vanilla install of WHS.

• Edited by newtechfool Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:18 PM
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 4:48 PM
  • This thread is about the path being to long in the file copy process - it has nothing todo with the size of files.  In future please try to start a new topic - you'll get more views that way.

What NIC did you swap from and what did you replace it with - there are known problems with RealTek network cards.  Drivers from March 2010 seem to fix the problem.

--
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:14 PM
  • This thread is about the path being to long in the file copy process - it has nothing todo with the size of files.  In future please try to start a new topic - you'll get more views that way.

What NIC did you swap from and what did you replace it with - there are known problems with RealTek network cards.  Drivers from March 2010 seem to fix the problem.

--
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:14 PM

--
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:15 PM

--

Not to nit pick, but the very first statement in the first post in this thread reads "As other people on this forum have mentioned, Windows Home Server does not play nice with large files (above ~5GB or so). ".

Anyways, I switched from an on-board ASUS NIC (Marvell Yokon 88E8056) to a PCI Realtek. (RTL8139) I will try and see if I can find updated drivers, but I doubt that is the problem, as I can copy to a share with no problems with a regular share as described in my post. It is only when I copy to drives in the storage pool I have the issue.

Do you know where I can find newer drivers than the ones on Realtek's site?  They are from Nov 2009.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false 

Saturday, March 27, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Have you run a chkdsk on all your server hard drives?  Use this FAQ to help you out:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/b5372407-1f24-4eff-9092-069c4b4f0cee

--
    Saturday, March 27, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Good suggestion. I ran chkdsk according to the instructions, and no disk errors were reported. I did run into a performance issue during chkdsk. I will make a separate post on this issue sometime on this.

I have however found a workaround that is not pretty, but it might help nail down what the real issue is.

As I said, copying large files >1Gb to a share is 100% reproducible in my case. It will fail after about a minute or so with the error "is a problem accessing \\WHS\Share". As I mentioned in an earlier copy, local copies work fine, and non-pooled regular windows shares work too, so I had an idea:

I installed FileZilla FTP Server (http://filezilla-project.org/) on my Windows Home Server. I created a user account with my home directory pointing to the same share that I could not copy to (\\WHS\Share\). I am able to copy large files now using FTP without any issues. I have copied about 100Gb so far using FTP without any errors, and I am still able to repdocuce the original issue by trying to copy from the client directly to the \\WHS\Share UNC. My transfer speed on FTP is consistent 100Mb/s which is what I have between my Win7 client and WHS.

This leads me to believe that it is not an issue with my disks/NIC or drivers. It is an issue with the WHS OS software.

Monday, March 29, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Could you please create a new thread with your problem? It's not at all obvious to me that your issue is related to the OP's issue from 2007...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 29, 2010 10:35 PM
  • Ok. Will do.
    Monday, March 29, 2010 11:02 PM
  • I have just begun using WHS and have installed all available updates. I too have problems with the 'path too deep' error but have found a work around.

Turn off sharing temporarily for the folder you are copying files into. The size of the files does not seem to be the problem as I had encountered the error with relatively small file sizes.

Since disabling the sharing I have had no recurrences even when copying a nearly full 1TB external usb drive. I think the background housekeeping for sharing is what triggered the fault.

Hopefully this will allow someone to use this information to come up with a proper fix. Until then this will work, or at least it does for me.

• Proposed as answer by Shadetre Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:55 PM
    Saturday, April 17, 2010 7:54 PM
  • I have just begun using WHS and have installed all available updates. I too have problems with the 'path too deep' error but have found a work around.

Turn off sharing temporarily for the folder you are copying files into. The size of the files does not seem to be the problem as I had encountered the error with relatively small file sizes.

Since disabling the sharing I have had no recurrences even when copying a nearly full 1TB external usb drive. I think the background housekeeping for sharing is what triggered the fault.

Hopefully this will allow someone to use this information to come up with a proper fix. Until then this will work, or at least it does for me.

Like, many others... I have also suffered this issue... never with small files (now matter how many in total), but always and consistently with large files.

Like one of the other early posters, I have a Gigabyte board and presently have 7 x 2Tb drives attached to the onboard connectors. 

I like the sound of your solution about disabling the sharing and will give that a go and post results.

QUESTION... how exactly did you turn sharing off?

I became a bit sus about the integrity of the WHS build, so was going to remove about 3 or 4 of the drive from the mass storage and then copy everything across to them, blow away the install and start again, then put it all back together, but ran into the 'too deep' issue.

I've kept a bunch of large image files... some were large sinle files, as large as 200+Gb and others were hundreds of smaller files (DriveImageXML) in a folder totalling maybe 100Gb.  As previously mentioned... the single file fails every time, but the large folder goes straight across.

I've had to resort to rebuilding an attached drive from the image (DriveImageXML works on WHS) and then taking a fresh image not as a single file... that works fine.  I have however come unstuck with images made using Acronis, as True Image Home does not work on a WHS environment.

Back with news soon.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:12 AM