none
Restore fails at 79% on BOTH clients? RRS feed

• Question

• The restore fails to get past 79% on desktop and laptop..both.  WHS Console gets to 100% in "server" window, but "restore in progress" only 79% on both clients.   Desktop sometime get weird "you need to format drive "Z", 123 gb...and then locksup.  The laptop gets an "Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running" error. 
    I've tried:
    Disabling all startup programs
    Turning off User Account Control in Vista
    Turning off Router Firewall
    Both clients are Vista Home Premium

Any ideas?
    Thanks!!!!
    Gary

Friday, February 8, 2008 10:28 PM

Answers

• SUCCESS! Well after jumping through any hoop I could find a comment on my RESTORE WORKS on both computers.  Wish I could say it was something I did but I think it was all the recent updates that Microsoft pushed out to me!  Both computers installed 12 updates yesterday and now it WORKS!!!   Didn't have to turn off UAC or any startup programs.  The good new is I now know alot about all my startup programs,,, and UAC..and Defender settings...and error logs,,,, and every setting on my router....  So FIXED!  but I don't think I did it??
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 6:54 PM

All replies

• Update: reinstalled Sever Console...same error
                  restarted Home Server machine: same error
                   looked at Microsoft error help for:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939218, looks to be for win XP?
    got the following message:

NOTE: Cacls is now deprecated, please use Icacls.
     So..I am stil stuck??

Saturday, February 9, 2008 6:06 PM
  • Are you logged in as Administrator on the machine you are trying to open the backup from. If you search the forum for 79%, you will find quite a few posts, with different answers for different circumstances - ie, have you ever had a drive connected as a 'Z' drive,  backup reader stalled etc.

Have a read through some of them to see if any of the answers fit your circumstances.

Colin

Saturday, February 9, 2008 6:58 PM
  • Hi Colin; 
    Thanks! I am administrator, and I did read the "79%" posts here.  I did have my desktop D drive "mapped" to my laptop as Z drive.  I  think I "unmapped" it but I am not sure.   I no longer get an  error message about "not available" on laptop if desktop is off.  I don't have, backup reader, or at least don't think I do..nothing under "Devices".  I don't have a Zip drive. 
    I do have a device not recognized on my Server machine, but windows doesn't know what the device even is...I did uninstall it.
       I do see a "Z" drive on my laptop just before the "verfiy all servcies are running" error kicks in and it dissapears.
    I spent about 2 hrs fooling with my DIR-655 router settings, but nothing helped. 
    I looked at the "services" and confirmed WHS was running.
    The odd part is that the backups seem to work fine...it is just the restores. AND the restore DID work when I used it about a month ago...very odd.
    I did install (upgrade) Office 2007 a few weeks ago and found an article from Microsoft about problems with Outllook 2007 and saving data to WHS but didn't think it really applied?
    I examined the error log on the server..but didn't find anything really useful.  Not really sure what I'm lookin at??
    I'm still working on it and IF I finally figure it out I will post my solution. 
    Today I am going to try and switch my routers (I have two identical) just to check it. 
    Guess I could reinstall WHS software on server, not sure if that might help or not.  Guess I could backup my "backups" to an external I have...

Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:06 PM
  • This may not help you much----but I had a similar problem when I tried to "view" backups (have never needed to restore yet---thank goodness).

to mount the restore volume to "view" all the files in it.....

WHS would hang at 79%

Turns out that I was just impatient-------I was stopping the process at around 15 minutes----thinking it was hung up.....

I tried again and just walked away----after about 25 minutes----it moved from 79% gradually up to 91%----then hung at 91% for another 10 minutes----then gradually moved to 100%

Then the files appeard in an explorer window labled Z:

I did one other thing-----I had mapped the Music shared folder to my Z: drive when I was having some problems with the Firefly iTunes server.....and had forgotten to unmap it once I for Firefly working.....

I unmapped the Z: drive and wheter this helped or not----I don't know----but patience and/or creating an open Z: drive-------solved my problem....

If this is no help to you at all I am sorry...

Good luck.

John

Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:13 PM
  • Thanks for responding John, but I actually get an error message on both machines ""Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running" and then the restore screen just shuts down...   The really weird thing is I did do a restore about a month ago with no problems.. 
        I had mapped a Z drive  to my laptop from my desktop just to make mutilple copies of my photos, but now WHS does it..with Sync toy..and keeps two copies..  I don't have ANY problem accessing my photos off the server or even remotely..from my mom's house...pretty cool really.  Just odd to have backups but can't access them.!!
    Really appreciate your input...
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:41 PM
  • Well in my saga to fix this problem I ran "Connector" troubleshooter and got the following message:
    Local installation folders are not accessible (%Temp%, %ProgramFiles% or %AllUsersProfile%)      And also
    Internet Explorer has "Automatically Detect Settings" or HTTP Proxy configured..

Dont know how to deal witht the first error...??
    I did turn off "Auto Detect" in Explorer.. Didn't help..
    Sunday, February 10, 2008 4:49 PM
  • I gave up trying to restore to my desktop from server, ended up using "system restore" and redoing a project....
    The continuting delema:
    Reinstalled the Server software ,and the connetor software on both computers. Spent all Sunday working on this, and then 1/2 the night just redoing my project, which I could not "restore" from auto backup

The good news:  I can access all shared files, no problem!  All my photos are safe!  Use synctoy for this. But this was also
                             wokring before, with no problems.
                             I did get a restore to work on the laptop!!!!   But ONLY on the first manual backup! Then...........
    The bad news:  A restore on my desktop from manual backup (done just before) ran all night and never got past 91%
                            First restore on the auto backup from last night resulted in BSD!  Turned off laptop then...
                           A restore on the auto backup from last night is still running after 3 hours, stuck at 91% since the first 10min
    I am pretty frustrated....got WHS to auto backup my computers, which it does...with no errors...but

the RESTORE doesn't work....well it worked once in 30 trys.........

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:45 PM
  • I know it's not of much help, but you have my sympathy! This really s***s big time!

I've seen already quite a lot of these 79% threads and most of them do NOT result in a happy end. Please post this problem also on Microsoft Home Server Connect Feedback site and post a link here so other can vote and / or confirm this problem.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:19 PM
  • I did finally get both computer's overnigt  Auto backups to RESTORE but I had to delete ALL my OLD backups. Even that didn't work until I turned off User Account Control and ALL startup programs.  So now I've gotten RESTORE to work. Not sure that this WSH is ready for prime time?? But at least I know I can get restore to work.....just don't know for how long?   What a convoluted mess!  Haven't had a chance to track down which program was the casue of the restore failure, I try and track it down and let everyone know.  (UAC or startups)   When I turned off UAC and turned on all the "startups" to see if it was UAC (on the laptop) I got the BSOD...twice..and had to run chkdsk -f  twice....  wow...Good thing I am retired and it is cold outside...lol   Good thing the BSOD (blue screen of death) didn't crash things so bad I would need a restore!!  BTW it was ntfs.sys that crashed with the BSD.

I am still wondering if I should really rely on WHS for my backups...if I can not restore without all these troubles??
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 9:53 PM
  • SUCCESS! Well after jumping through any hoop I could find a comment on my RESTORE WORKS on both computers.  Wish I could say it was something I did but I think it was all the recent updates that Microsoft pushed out to me!  Both computers installed 12 updates yesterday and now it WORKS!!!   Didn't have to turn off UAC or any startup programs.  The good new is I now know alot about all my startup programs,,, and UAC..and Defender settings...and error logs,,,, and every setting on my router....  So FIXED!  but I don't think I did it??
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 6:54 PM
  • Well that's good to hear!! I really hope the same is true for the other users with this problem.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 12:25 AM
  • ANY ONE WITH RESTORE PROBLEMS: might find this interesting!!
    To Microsoft:
    My WHS connector says everything is healthy. I can access all shared files, not problem. When i try to do a restore it stops at 79% and then I get an error "Cannot connect to the backup service on the server. Verify that all services are running" on BOTH the desktop and laptop computers. This error would stop the restore process. I eventually reinstalled WHS to server, and Connector to both PCs. I still got the same error. Turned off all "startup" program and UAC..no luck! Turned off defender firewall and router farewall...no luck...79%. Z drive shows up for about 10 seconds...I even got a weird "you need to format drive "Z" " on my desktop PC.

I deleted all backups.....then got to 91%....on both computers! I let it run all night on the desktop and it had just rebooted in the morning. I finally got it to work by turning off UAC and all startup programs on both computers. I could finally access the "Z" drive. But of course I lost all by backup data, the reason for my original Restore attempt.
    Comments
    There is a now-known problem with restore of large volumes (or maybe smaller volumes with small cluster size) which could cause this failure. The problem [ref 37289] has been just recently fixed for the upcoming Power Pack 1 release.

Here's a possible workaround. It won't work for most users, but it sounds like your situation might be right on the edge. At 79%, the server has finished its preparation work. (Most users with the problem don't get this far.) But then isn't able to service the client's requests, which needs just one more chunk of memory (12MB more.) It's possible that you may be able to mount if you could expand the pagefile size on your Windows Home Server. If you know how to do this (Remote Desktop to the server, My Computer's Properties, Advanced, Performance..., Advanced) then you could try that. Even if this works, you may find that you are able to open only some of your backups. The amount of memory needed is very hard to predict.

Otherwise, you'll see the problem go away when Power Pack 1 is installed. It uses substantially less memory to do restore.

If you post any followup, please include these details: total drive size, free space, any files & file types for any particularly large files (SQL database, Virtual PC VHD files, movies) and whether you have created any EFS-encrypted files.
    Posted by Microsoft on 2/16/2008 at 10:10 AM
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:00 PM
  • brubber: Thanks for the suggestion to post at "Home ServerConnect Feedback". I actually got a response that this was a "known error", wish I had "known" earlier.   Anyway I really appreciate it, great suggestion!!!
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 5:35 PM
  • You're welcome and thanks for sharing the info supplied by MS. I'm sure there will be a number of users that can profit from this info since it may still take some time until the powerpack is released.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:05 PM
  • Hi

And now there I'm with Power Pack 1 RC 4 and same problem!

Any news?

Regards,

Tomi

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Actually mine has been working fine since my last post , when I got the update months ago!  I'm almost paranoid about the new "update"...havn't downloaded it yet.  Was waiting for the auto update to do its thing!
    Wednesday, July 30, 2008 2:25 AM