Installing SageTV WHS Add-in RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the SageTV WHS addin. Previously I installed the WebGuide addin. In both cases I placed the .msi file from the source in the //SERVER/SOFTWARE folder. In neither case did they show up in the Add-Ins folder in the Settings area of the Console as the instructions said they would. I was able to install WebGuide by remoting in to the server and installing directly. However, I haven't had any luck doing so with SageTV. Two questions:
    1. What is preventing these .msi files from successfully making it to the Add-Ins folder
    2. Does anyone on this forum know why I would receive the message "installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows installer package." when trying to open the SageTV WHS .msi? I've tried requesting help from Sage without success.
    Thanks!
    -John
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:48 AM

Answers

• Instead of copying these MSI files to the //server/software folder, you have to put them into the addins folder.  //server/software/add-ins.  Then they will show up in the console settings area.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 9 drives totaling about 3.5 tbs.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:27 PM

All replies

• Instead of copying these MSI files to the //server/software folder, you have to put them into the addins folder.  //server/software/add-ins.  Then they will show up in the console settings area.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:27 PM
  • Sorry I wasn't specific enough in the message above. They are in the Add-in folder under //server/software, yet not showing up in the Console.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 4:26 PM
  • Hi,

Do you mean they don't show in the Console, or don't show in the Settings - Add-Ins - Available page?
    They won't show in the Console until they are installed through that page, you cannot 'just run' then from the Add-Ins folder, they have to be installed through the Console.
    Other than that, what hardware do you have, as there is a possibility that the files need unblocking.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:11 PM
  • They don't show in the Settings - Add-Ins - Available page, so there is nothing available to install. 

As far as hardware, it is a user built machine with OEM WHS software. There is no additional software on the machine beyond WHS that would be blocking as far as I can tell.

Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

It's WHS itself that might be blocking the files. If you open the Shared Folders on a Client machine and then open Software - Add-Ins you could try highlighting the .msi files and then from it's Properties page, ensure that 'Unblock' is enabled.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 5:59 PM
  • Hi,
    If I right click on properties for msi file and view security tab and look at administrator permissions, "Allow" is checked for everything except "Special Permissions", which has no checkmarks. Is there anywhere else I should look?

Thanks!
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:17 PM
  • Wingnet said:

Hi,

If I right click on properties for msi file and view security tab and look at administrator permissions, "Allow" is checked for everything except "Special Permissions", which has no checkmarks. Is there anywhere else I should look?

Thanks!

In addition what Colin said (which has nothing to do with file permissions, what you looked at), you might try resetting the Console.  Double click on the Connector icon in the system tray, but instead of typing the server password, click Options (right below the password field).  Then select Reset the Windows Home Server Console, followed by OK. 
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 6:46 PM
  • My problem with Colin's suggestion is I didn't see anything to unblock in Properties. I reset the console as you suggested which didn't seem to change anything. Still nothing in the Settings> Addins folder. Anything else I can try?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:11 PM
  • Hi,

Back to basics, how did you get the files and what did you do with them - step by step. We are missing something somewhere!

Colin

(The Unblock option will only appear on the Properties page, if they are blocked).

Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:16 PM
  • 1. Downloaded file SageTV_V6_4.8Setup-WHS.msi to client from Sage website.
    2. Copied file from client to >Network>Server>Software>Add-Ins folder in Explorer.
    3. Logged on to Windows Home Server Console from client machine.
    4. Opened >Settings>Add-ins expecting to see msi file in "Available" tab - nothing there.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:38 PM
  • Hi,

I think I would re-try to download it again through a Client, and save it directly to the Add-Ins folder on that Client's desktop.
    I've just tried it that way, with no problems.

Colin

Saturday, October 25, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Colin - I downloaded again. Placed in Add-ins folder again. Checked in Console>Settings>Addins and still not there.

So then I remoted in to server, tried installing it directly, and before I got the this package can not be opened...check with manufacturer..." error as before I got the message "The publisher could not be verified...are you sure you want to run this software". Would adding Sage to trusted publishers unblock it?

-John
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 8:30 PM
  • New info: Just noticed that the //server/software folder status is Failing. There have been conflicts for awhile because I have SlimServer services running. Could this be the reason Addins not refreshing?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:18 PM
  • Stopped Slimserver, rebooted, now everything healthy again. Still no addins. Anyone?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:36 PM
  • Why was your WHS reporting "failing"?  You might want to run chkdsk on your drives.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:37 PM
  • Failed due to port conflicts with Slimserver. Once I stopped Slimserver health was OK. Ran chkdsk just in case - no issues.
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 10:22 PM
  • Wingnet said:

Failed due to port conflicts with Slimserver. Once I stopped Slimserver health was OK. Ran chkdsk just in case - no issues.

Have you tried downloading a different add-in to see if it shows up in the Available tab?
    Saturday, October 25, 2008 11:02 PM
  • Yes - downloaded Sam Wood's Disk Management add-in which showed up, so it seems its related to the SaveTV download.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 3:15 AM
  • SageTV, to the best of my knowledge, installs a server, just as Firefly media server does. It has no add-in that will show up in the console, and will need to be installed as software, and then configured per the manual from Sage. Please carefully read the manual, and do not install into the add-in directory. As of yet no streamer includes a console add-in that I know.

Ben

Ben Ogilvie
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 3:42 AM
  • Thanks. I finally got this to install. Like you say Ben, I needed to install directly on the server. It was very difficult to move to the server - copying it would force the connection to the client to break, always at about 95% complete - and I tried over & over. I finally decided to zip the msi file, move it, then unzip on the server, which worked well. Now to figure out how to configure...
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:04 AM
  • Wingnet said:

Thanks. I finally got this to install. Like you say Ben, I needed to install directly on the server.

Are you sure you downloaded the correct version (SageTV_V6_4_8Setup-WHS.msi)?  I downloaded that file and it worked flawlessly (showed up in the Available tab in the Console and installed without any issues).  If you are sure you downloaded the correct version, then there is something wrong with your server.  Hopefully that is the only problem you encounter from now on...

Wingnet said:

It was very difficult to move to the server - copying it would force the connection to the client to break, always at about 95% complete - and I tried over & over. I finally decided to zip the msi file, move it, then unzip on the server, which worked well. Now to figure out how to configure...

Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:15 AM
  • Thanks Kariya...Just to make sure, I copied this latest version into addins, and it DID show up in the console. My problem was that I had difficulty getting the file copied over to the server for some reason. It would get copied over, apparently, but the copy utility would never quite close. The file that came over was the correct size, but I couldn't install it. By zipping I was able to pull over the complete file.
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:59 AM
  • Wingnet said:

Thanks Kariya...Just to make sure, I copied this latest version into addins, and it DID show up in the console. My problem was that I had difficulty getting the file copied over to the server for some reason. It would get copied over, apparently, but the copy utility would never quite close. The file that came over was the correct size, but I couldn't install it. By zipping I was able to pull over the complete file.

In that case, you may be experiencing intermittent network issues (either with the server or the client).  Have you noticed any other odd behavior recently?
    Sunday, October 26, 2008 11:53 AM