Here's a tip, if you can't get "spending by payee" report to work RRS feed

• Question

• I have MS Money Deluxe,( v17.0.120.3817).  I have use the program since 2010 across 2 bank accounts, but really ahve never used nor cared about any online inter-operability with a bank account. I just use it to keep a personal record of my bank account. Recently I discovered that the program simply will not generate a spending report "by payee". I can generate one by category, but that is useless to me. I never properly set up categories for everything, mainly because there just weren't enough categories to be useful. If I do a report by category, for any date range, it works. So at least i can get my total spending for, say, the previous year. But when I try the same for spending by payee, I just get a nicely formatted report with no data... no payees, no totals, no grand total. Even if I try getting the payee report for just the last month, the result is the same. I think I've tried every sensible variation 

So here's the issue I found that solved the problem. After selecting the "Spending by Payee", I went to "Customize", and checked to see that everything made sense. When I got to the "amount" tab I saw something strange: The "from:" box was blank, and the "To:" box contained a zero. As soon as I put '0' in the "from", and a number beyond anything I'd expect (I used $50000) in the "From", the report immediately filled in with useful totals!
    Friday, January 22, 2016 5:04 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the reminder.  An errant or default value in a report can give some strange results!

One thing to be aware of is that the "Spending by Payee" report has some strange behavior.  If you have split expense transactions (two or more categories for a single transaction) and one of the expenses is negative (such as a credit or return), that amount will not appear in the report.  And transfers also do not appear in the "Spending by Payee" report.

If you use the "Expenses by Category" report and set it up to cover the exact same transactions, the negative expenses and transfers do appear.  So that is my choice when I need to see all the transactions.

You say that there weren't enough categories to be useful.  Do you realize that you can create new categories and subcategories?  Design a system that meets your needs and then delete the Money standard categories that aren't useful.  You can have as many categories and subcategories as you want.  I don't have a huge number because the amounts in each category/subcategory become so small that it's hard to see the "big picture".  I run with 20 or so expense categories, 5 income categories, and 0 to 5 subcategories for each.  Your needs may be different.

Bill Becker

Saturday, January 23, 2016 3:15 AM