Error: Cannot write to the destination file. Access is Denied RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

When syncing my laptop to my desktop (Windows XP SP3 on both) get the follwing message:

"Error:  Cannot Write to the destination file.  Access is denied."  My laptop will not sync with desktop, but desktop will sync with laptop.

Synctoy 2.0 was working great for the previous 4 months , until this error just popped up.  No new files will sync over.  No system settings have changed over the past month, except maybe a Windows XP update or two.

Thoughts?

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:15 PM

Answers

• Problem is solved HERE!

Here's the background:  Desktop (running XP home) and Laptop (running XP Pro) and laptop has synctoy 2.0 and getting cannot write to destination file.

With XP SP3, there is a need for a new administrative password (replacing old one, or create a new administrative password:  go to control panel, user accounts, create/change password for user) for sync toy to work.  Try it! 

Many hours speaking/emailing with Microsoft on this issue. I can provide email documentation to prove it.  In the words of Microsoft tech support, "Cause: new feature in sp3 which make it mandatory to have password validation with user account".

Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:48 PM

All replies

• Hello,

It would help to visualize things if you could describe the Folder Pair when you sync on the laptop, and the Folder Pair when you sync on the desktop. What is the left folder and right folder for each?

It sounds like a permissions issue, if you were on the laptop could you manually copy a file to sync'd folder on the desktop?

I would check the permissions on the shared folder of the desktop, and the permissions on the files inside that folder.

thanks,

Willie

Thursday, July 17, 2008 4:28 PM
  •  

Hi Willie,

The folders that are syncing are both subfolders of "My Documents."  So, I have my Desktop "My Documents" folders syncing with my Laptop "My Documents" folders of the same name.  I have sharing enabled for both Desktop & Laptop "My Document" Folders.

Like I mentioned, no system settings (or synctoy 2.0 settings!) have changed in the past few months, but this access error just popped up!

Any ideas?

Friday, July 18, 2008 1:46 AM
  • Are you getting this error in a popup message box when you run one of the folder pairs or you're getting a list of errors, one for each file that's being synchronized?

Also, any particular reason you're trying to run Synctoy on both machines? Generally, you should run SyncToy from a single machine only otherwise you can get unintented results if synchronizing the same set of files from both machines at different times.

Friday, July 18, 2008 7:23 AM
    Answerer
  •  

To view the error, I click on the "see errors" link above the transfer summary...  that tells me what files are the "Error:  Cannot write..." message.

SyncToy is only being run on one machine:  my laptop.  I'm just trying to sync files from identical folders (and contents) between the laptop and desktop

Friday, July 18, 2008 2:59 PM
  • Ok.. can you try one thing - run Synctoy and figure out one file for which this error happens. Without changing anything on the system, for that one file, try to manually copy it using either File Explorer or from the command line (using the copy command) from the source location to the target location where you would expect SyncToy to put it. Do you get the same error?  Thanks!

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:51 PM
    Answerer
  •  hammie1234 wrote:

To view the error, I click on the "see errors" link above the transfer summary...  that tells me what files are the "Error:  Cannot write..." message.

SyncToy is only being run on one machine:  my laptop.  I'm just trying to sync files from identical folders (and contents) between the laptop and desktop

is there any pattern to the files receiving the error message?

such as belonging to a program launched at startup and holding files open (an example would be an antivirus application with the .exe program locked open, or some gaming verification like Steam).

thanks,

Willie

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:53 PM
  • Hey Willie,

I've been backtracking the problem this past weekend.  It appears there is a networking error for me somewhere:

In my Laptop's "My Network Places":  I can access my Desktop and my Laptop files

In my Desktop's "My Network Places":  I can only access my desktop files

If I run: \\laptop IP\c$ from my desktop, I get this error:

Logon failure: user account restriction.  Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

So, that's new to me!

BH

Monday, July 21, 2008 6:27 PM
  • I'm glad we could find the underlying cause, and sorry I can't help you with networking issues.

can we call this thread Answered?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 5:08 PM
  • Willie,

Yeah, it's closed.  The error has to do with syncing Desktop (Windows XP Home - tough to access simple file sharing options) and Laptop (Windows XP Professional - easy to access those options).

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Hi

I have the same problem but between laptop XP professional and server SBS2003. What exactly did you change for the sync to work?

Thanks in advance

C.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 8:18 AM
  • Problem is solved HERE!

Here's the background:  Desktop (running XP home) and Laptop (running XP Pro) and laptop has synctoy 2.0 and getting cannot write to destination file.

With XP SP3, there is a need for a new administrative password (replacing old one, or create a new administrative password:  go to control panel, user accounts, create/change password for user) for sync toy to work.  Try it! 

Many hours speaking/emailing with Microsoft on this issue. I can provide email documentation to prove it.  In the words of Microsoft tech support, "Cause: new feature in sp3 which make it mandatory to have password validation with user account".

Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Which computer needs a new administrative password? The left, right or both?

I'm getting this same error when running SyncToy under Vista on my desktop (left computer) and trying to sync with my laptop running XP (right computer).

Monday, October 27, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Laser:

Well, synctoy was working for me great for the past few days.  Now, I have a new error:  "Error: Unknown Error.  Access is denied. Exception from HResult..."

Argh!  I think it's still related to new XP SP3 patches...

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 3:01 AM