Vail using a lot more than 12% overhead RRS feed

• Question

• So vail is said to use 12% overhead for data protection. Is it immediately taking that 12% off the total size of the storage pool or is it taking that 12% off of the actually amount of data that exists on the server?

In my case, compared to the amount of data I have on the server which is 4.76TB vail is using more than 30% overhead. Above and beyond duplication.

Monday, October 25, 2010 6:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you are referring to the storage usage as for instance reported on the Dashboard under "Summary":
    It is a know problem that the figures on storage usage are not accurate. And before you ask me: other then filling up the storage pool I do not know of a way to determine the actual storage use for the VAIL preview refresh version.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, October 25, 2010 11:40 PM
  • Vail takes it's 12% "off the top", as far as I can tell. But remember that there are other things also included in that overhead, such as copies of the NTFS metafiles (they have to be duplicated on every disk for mounting a foreign pool to work at all), shadow copies, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you are referring to the storage usage as for instance reported on the Dashboard under "Summary":
    It is a know problem that the figures on storage usage are not accurate. And before you ask me: other then filling up the storage pool I do not know of a way to determine the actual storage use for the VAIL preview refresh version.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, October 25, 2010 11:40 PM
  • Vail takes it's 12% "off the top", as far as I can tell. But remember that there are other things also included in that overhead, such as copies of the NTFS metafiles (they have to be duplicated on every disk for mounting a foreign pool to work at all), shadow copies, etc.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 1:13 AM