Email Router, Forward Mailboxes & POP3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have some problems getting the email service to work. What I want is a setup where the users and administrator don't have to go and configure passwords at additional places besides in their Outlook. Ideally, it should also work when the user does not start his computer/Outlook. Here is what we have:

- Small Business Server 2003 (which I think includes Exchange Server)
    - CRM 4 installed on our Small Business Server
    - POP3 email services hosted by a 3rd party
    - I can have Outlook installed on our Small Business Server

I assume Exchange Server is if you want to handle Email services yourself. Since we are not doing this I assume any solution involving Exchange Server is out for us. To eliminate the biggest issue (each user having to configure their password in the CRM client) I assume the only option then is using "Forward Mailboxes". If so how does that work with POP3? Do I need to install Outlook on the server (or some other place), configure that outlook with a crm@mycompany.com email and define forwarding rules, then setup one Forward Mailbox with that email address (no user in CRM, just that address)?

Friday, July 9, 2010 8:20 PM

Answers

• Forward mailboxes will only work if you can deploy a rule to each user's mail profile that forwards a copy of each email they receive to a single mailbox that you monitor. Typically, this funcitonality isn't often available for POP email services, or if it is, it's not easy to centrally administer. However, if you can get a copy of everyone's email forwarded to a forward mailbox, then you'd need to have the E-mail router monitor that mailbox and determine which mail was CRM, and which was not. I've only seen this work with Exchange server.

With POP email, the Email router can't monitor the email flowing into the whole domain, so you typically need to use the Outlook client, and, as you've found, each user has to set their POP passwords in the CRM options.

Matt Wittemann, MVP for CRM (http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com)
    • Marked as answer by crm user 4950 Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:47 AM
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:49 PM

All replies

• Forward mailboxes will only work if you can deploy a rule to each user's mail profile that forwards a copy of each email they receive to a single mailbox that you monitor. Typically, this funcitonality isn't often available for POP email services, or if it is, it's not easy to centrally administer. However, if you can get a copy of everyone's email forwarded to a forward mailbox, then you'd need to have the E-mail router monitor that mailbox and determine which mail was CRM, and which was not. I've only seen this work with Exchange server.

With POP email, the Email router can't monitor the email flowing into the whole domain, so you typically need to use the Outlook client, and, as you've found, each user has to set their POP passwords in the CRM options.

Matt Wittemann, MVP for CRM (http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com)
    • Marked as answer by crm user 4950 Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:47 AM
    Saturday, July 10, 2010 4:49 PM
  • That's not the answer I was hoping to hear. Well, I guess I will just have everybody do the settings in CRM options.
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 5:47 AM