none
Hard drives RRS feed

• Question

• I am Real new to  WHS. I am having issues with hard drives.

I built this Home server for my family and our 7 computers
    I purchased and built a external hard drive enclosure with a Rocket Raid 2322 PCIx card
    The enclosue has 4 2TB hard drives. I configured the drives JSOB
    The first 2 times I mounted this drive in WHS it was installed but it said 72% full. When I try to remove the drive I got an error saying it cannot be removed. 
    I tried reformatting it as a RAID 5 anhd then mounted it in WHS and it said again 72% full though I ity is brand new. I again could not remove the drive same error
    I tried to refomat the drive again I formatted it again as a JSOB 8tb and formatted it 4 seperate 2tb partitions.

Now I have 2 missing drives and cannot remove them
    I have the drive again showing 8tb but 72 percent full and cannot remove it.

How do I remove the 2 missing drives and the mount the new drive so it does not show as al;ready full?

Any help would be great.

Thank you

Chris Nugent

I am in the military I am leaving on deployment in 2 weeks and would like to get this Server up and running before i leave.

Monday, January 18, 2010 8:01 PM

Answers

• I'll point out that RAID isn't a supported technology on Windows Home Server; there are various reasons for this, but from a consumer standpoint it comes down to a combination of price (RAID is expensive compared to another disk), performance (cheap RAID doesn't perform very well), and reliability (some RAID cards aren't very reliable, really).

That said: Assuming you've properly configured the volumes on your array, probably your best bet will be to reinstall Windows Home Server with the RAID array attached, and supply the correct drivers during hardware detection.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:18 PM