WHS 2011 connection lost when transfering large files RRS feed

• Question

• I have had WHS 2011 running since June/July of 2011. It has run well up until this point, but this weekend I was copying a file (~3GB) to it and the copy speed started at 10-12 MB/s and dropped to 0 after a few seconds. I then got a popup message saying the server was not connected or the file location didn't exist.

I have found by connecting a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to the server that it was still running fine and had the IPv4 address correctly set, but the status also said that there was no internet connection. Rebooting the server solves the problem temporarily. I can then access the server from my desktop and laptop as usual until I try copying the file to the server, at which point the problem repeats.

[Update 3/27/2013]

This problem appears to have something to do with a new modem/router that I have. I switched service from Comcast to CenturyLink. The CenturyLink ZyXEL C1000Z appears to set a DNS suffix of Home. My home network is connected a Linksys E4200 as before, the cable modem was just replaced by the CenturyLink modem/router.

Anyway, I am able to use the server fine until I try to copy a larger file at which time the connection is lost. Prior to a large file transfer if I ping server I get a response, after trying to copy a large file I get no response from server.Home (evidently the .Home gets tacked on).

The problem disappears if I disconnect the internet and allow the Linksys E4200 to assign addresses. I'll post whatever solution I find, when I find one.

• Edited by -norman Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:32 AM Update
    Sunday, March 24, 2013 10:31 PM

Answers