none
Delete emails older than 2 years for 1 user. RRS feed

• Question

• So, I've got a user who has a fairly large mailbox and it's causing performance issues in outlook. I've been tasked with deleting emails older than 2 years from his mailbox. Unfortunately I can't use a custom retention policy with an archive mailbox due to the fact that we are a healthcare organization and the current retention policy on the mailbox must stay in place. I've run the below script but it only deleted just under 10k emails which is only a drop in the bucket. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or a better way to achieve this without using retention policies? BTW we use exchange online. Thanks. 

search-mailbox -identity <user> -searchquery {received:01/01/2002..12/12/2016} -deletecontent

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Friday, March 15, 2019 3:12 PM This is not Exchange management forum
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 2:05 PM

All replies

• I recommend that you post this question in an Exchange Server forum specific to the version you are running.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, December 15, 2018 3:49 AM
  • search-mailbox -identity <user> -searchquery {received:01/01/2002..12/12/2016} -deletecontent

Please read the help for the CmdLet as it will tell you how to delete more than 10K items. There are clear examples of how to do this.

Always check help before asking a question.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, December 15, 2018 7:30 PM