stream to XBOX 360 Media Center RRS feed

• Question

• I saw some earlier posts about this, and this lacking function was one of the reasons why I didn't adopt this earlier.
    However, I thought that WHS now had the ability to stream to an extender, like the XBOX?

I was toying with a FreeNAS build, but didn't quite do what I wanted it to.

In the end, I want to have a 24/7 server that I can stream to my xbox media center.  Is XP MC my only option?

thanks!
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 10:18 PM

All replies

• You should be able to stream to XBox, even without installing additional software on your WHS, it's described overhere. Some OEM Home servers also come with preinsalled packages such as Twonky Media server or PV Connect.
    Friday, December 25, 2009 12:25 AM
  • right.. I have that part already done.  What I can't do is stream to the Media Center in my XBOX.
    so, yes I get the media.... but the layout is less than ideal.  no album art, etc.

I don't really understand why this wont work, as WHS specifically says it can stream to a Media Center Extender (which XBOX is, right?).

thoughts???

would other Media Center Extenders work (and take the xbox out the picture) ??

thnx
    Friday, December 25, 2009 12:51 AM
  • right.. I have that part already done.  What I can't do is stream to the Media Center in my XBOX.
    so, yes I get the media.... but the layout is less than ideal.  no album art, etc.

I don't really understand why this wont work, as WHS specifically says it can stream to a Media Center Extender (which XBOX is, right?).

Not directly.  In order for your 360 to act as an MCE, it needs a MC PC to extend (which would then pull the files from either the MC PC or WHS).

thoughts???

would other Media Center Extenders work (and take the xbox out the picture) ??

thnx
    No.  Again, extenders are just that: they extend MC from a PC to another device.  If you don't have a MC PC, you have nothing to extend.
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 3:46 AM