No DVD drive in my Server RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to install Windows Home Server without having a bootable DVD drive.  I have some server class equipment in my home (1u profile with SCSI drives) and it only comes with a CD drive.  All of the other hardware requirements are met by this hardware.  Is there any way to install Home server without a DVD drive?

Saturday, April 7, 2007 8:23 PM

Answers

• The short answer is no. If your server has USB ports, check the BIOS to see if it can be set to boot from a USB device. Failing that, you'll have to crack the case and temporarily connect a DVD drive to install. Once setup completes, you can remove the drive again.
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 8:44 PM

All replies

• The short answer is no. If your server has USB ports, check the BIOS to see if it can be set to boot from a USB device. Failing that, you'll have to crack the case and temporarily connect a DVD drive to install. Once setup completes, you can remove the drive again.
    Saturday, April 7, 2007 8:44 PM
  • A virtual CD or DVD will not work, because WHS Setup will format all disks in the system, and there are several reboots that occur after that point that require access to the installation media. Once the disk has been reformatted, the .ISO for the virtual CD is lost.

If a particular PC that you want to install WHS on doesn't have a DVD-ROM drive, you can try using a USB drive, assuming your hardware will boot from a USB mass storage device. Or you can open the case and temporarily attach an internal DVD-ROM drive. The DVD-ROM drive isn't required once installation finishes.
    Monday, April 9, 2007 3:26 PM
  • Yet another option may be worth looking into is if your computer has a RAC (remote access controller). Since you mention that it's a 1u server-class machine, it's not out of realm of possibility. Many RACs allow you to map an ISO image or physical drive to remote machine. Check to see if your computer has a RAC (also referred to as ILO - integrated lights-out - option) and peruse the manual for it.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 1:10 AM
  • Or you can spend $20 on a DVD-ROM drive.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 2:03 AM
  • If you have a standard half-height or slimline IDE drive, I'd suggest replacing it with a DVD drive.
    Monday, April 16, 2007 3:59 AM