STOP: 0X0000C1F5 after restoring from WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have 5 successful backups of my laptop.  Last night I didn't like some changes I had made, so I decided to do a restore.  I started the restore, of just the system drive, not including my data drive.  I woke this morning to this error:

Technical information:

STOP: 0X0000C1F5 (0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

No other information was given.  I tried rebooting to the Restore CD, and again get this error.  I tried booting from the Vista install disc, and a bootable Ghost restore CD.  All resulted in the same error.

I took the laptop to work with me so I could work on it.  I actually had to take the system drive out, and format the drive in another machine.  All was well, and I was able to restore a 4 month old Ghost image I had on an External HDD I had with me.  I then came home and tried to restore from a one day older backup from WHS.

It got to about 4 minutes remaining, and I got the same BSOD.  Again I cannot boot from any Windows basedCD/DVD.  I will be shutting down so I can put that system drive in this machine, then I will format it once again.  I will then attempt to restore using the third oldest backup.

Hitachi drive tools checked the drive and reported no errors, as did the drive integrity test in the BIOS of the laptop.  WHS is the OEM version done from a clean installation.  I wiped the drives and started clean.

Has anyone else seen this error?  Google turned up a good bit of information, none of which was helpful.

I am now questioning the validity of my other backups.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 12:07 AM

Answers

• Hey, I've got the same problem on a job I'm doing for a mate. Do you know if your fix above also works for Vista home premium?

Thanks,

Matt
    Yes. The fix works for Vista Home Premium. This is a Vista Issue. The hotfix is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946084/en-us

And the new restore CD is here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c,

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:13 PM

All replies

•  JustDavid wrote:

I have 5 successful backups of my laptop.  Last night I didn't like some changes I had made, so I decided to do a restore.  I started the restore, of just the system drive, not including my data drive.  I woke this morning to this error:

Technical information:

STOP: 0X0000C1F5 (0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

No other information was given.  I tried rebooting to the Restore CD, and again get this error.  I tried booting from the Vista install disc, and a bootable Ghost restore CD.  All resulted in the same error.

I took the laptop to work with me so I could work on it.  I actually had to take the system drive out, and format the drive in another machine.  All was well, and I was able to restore a 4 month old Ghost image I had on an External HDD I had with me.  I then came home and tried to restore from a one day older backup from WHS.

It got to about 4 minutes remaining, and I got the same BSOD.  Again I cannot boot from any Windows basedCD/DVD.  I will be shutting down so I can put that system drive in this machine, then I will format it once again.  I will then attempt to restore using the third oldest backup.

Hitachi drive tools checked the drive and reported no errors, as did the drive integrity test in the BIOS of the laptop.  WHS is the OEM version done from a clean installation.  I wiped the drives and started clean.

Has anyone else seen this error?  Google turned up a good bit of information, none of which was helpful.

I am now questioning the validity of my other backups.

Here is a link for the best info I could find on the particular stop code. It sounds like the same problem you are having.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&
    docid=07302457082C47EDA1A8F9619885F51F&doclang=en&cs=#1

Good luck!!

Cruise
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 12:28 AM
  • I use the Hitachi drive tools to wipe the FAT, then I am able to create a new partition on the unpartitioned space using the WHS Restore CD.

I decided to instead restore the oldest backup, and it completed successfully.  The only thing I did differently this time was that I removed the 2 GB SD card I use for ReadyBoost (which I had forgotten was still in the card reader on the laptop). I was able to boot in to Windows with no problems.  Since this is my primary machine, and I make a lot of changes to it during beta testing different apps, I want to try to get it back to my most recent backup.

Thinking that I might be on to something with the SD Card, I am now restoring to the third oldest backup (4 days) old.  If it completes successfully, I will try to restore to the most recent backup (2 days old).  If it again fails, I will delete the two most recent backups since they must be bad.  I am hoping they are not bad, and that I can get back to where I was Thursday morning before I screwed things up.

More info to come...

EDIT: Third oldest backup failed with the same error.  This is not looking good, but I did determine that the SD card had no affect on the outcome.  Three bad backups is NOT a good thing!

SECOND EDIT:  Yet another instance of failure.  In all the failures, it seems to stay at 4 minutes remaining for several minutes before the BSOD.  4 out of 5 backups failing is NOT ACCEPTABLE.  Now to wipe the FAT and start over.

Laptop has two drives, primary is 160 GB with only one partition.  The second is 120 GB with a second partition of 4 GB for a second swap file.  In all these failures I have only been restoring the Primary drive, as the second drive is only my data, and doesn't appear to be corrupt.

I have three other machines being backed up to WHS for the same time period.  How do I know these backups are good? 

Anyone have any ideas?  Anything I could try differently?  I've been a beta tester since Beta 1, and never had a successfully completed backup fail when I used it to restore. 

Saturday, October 20, 2007 1:25 AM
  • Have you tried making any changes in the BIOS? Maybe try reseting the BIOS to its defaults, and see what happens.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 3:48 AM
  • Tom, no, I have not done that.  Right now I am formatting the drive, again, but this time I am not using Quick Format.  After this completes in the next few minutes, I will reboot and check the BIOS.  I don't know for sure right now of any settings that I had changed, but will reset to Defaults and try my most recent backup again.  I am not sure that I will be awake by the time the restore completes, but will post a response tomorrow if I am not still awake tonight.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 3:52 AM
  •  Tom Ziegmann wrote:
    Have you tried making any changes in the BIOS? Maybe try reseting the BIOS to its defaults, and see what happens.

BEFORE you reset BIOS write down or save current values!!
    Saturday, October 20, 2007 4:16 AM
  • Brubber, thanks for the reminder.  That's always a good idea (that I've not done too many times in the past).

This laptop, an HP dv9335nr, doesn't have much that's actually changable.  But it didn't make a difference.  STOP: 0X0000C1F5 again.

I've wiped the FAT on the system drive, and this time I have removed the second drive from the laptop, so now C is the only drive present.  I'm going to start the restore of my most recent backup, again, and head to bed.  I really expect to wake to find another BSOD.  I have the weekend free, so I am willing to experiment some more.  Next update after some sleep, it's been a long and aggravating day.

EDIT: BSOD again, same error.  I am going to start again, and this time I am going to try a full restore of both drives and partitions.  If that fails, I am not sure what I am going to do next.

Second EDIT:  I was able to restore another laptop with no errors, but I still didn't trust the installation.  I've done a 'reinstall' of WHS and have everything set back up.  I'll let it run a few days (before I activate again) and then try another restore on this machine.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 5:08 AM
  • I had this exact same problem and came up with a workaround.  You can read the details in my blog posting here.

tkarp

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:31 PM
  • Same thing happened to me with restoring onto my main computer. However, Tom's method seems to be only good if the restore was completed. Mine wouldn't complete and so I can't just do a delete of the file via Linux.

Just wondering if you guys know whether I can do a simple reinstall of Windows Vista Home Premium after formatting, then WHS Connector and then manually restore the full backup over that setup (including windows and programs, etc). Would this save me reinstalling every application? Or will it not work because since Windows Vista is running, certain files like registries and dlls won't be written properly and so the thing will be broken?

Just looking for a shortcut to format, install Windows Vista, install drivers, install programs, configure programs, manually restore data!

Friday, April 11, 2008 2:05 AM
  •  

Hi Tom,

I tried, it does not work for me. After Step 6, it still shows the 0x0000C1F5 Error.

Microsoft really mess it up this time, all my data gone Sad.

Friday, May 23, 2008 1:30 AM
  • David et al,

This is a known issue that will be addressed by the Vista team (it isn't a Windows Home Server issue). You can contact Microsoft's product support group and get a hotfix (it isn't posted because it hasn't gone through a complete regression test).  Reference case number 946084. 

Thanks,

Kent

FWIW, I had this issue this past weekend.  I had to find an old Windows XP CD in order to wipe and reload the HDD (WinPE on the Restore CD created the same error).  That enabled me to get the restoration kicked off again.  I started the restore this morning so hopefully when I get home I'll see Vista and not the BSOD.     

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:35 AM
  • I am having the same issue with restoration.  Did your fix work?  Please advise.

John H.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 6:51 AM
  • I had the same problem while restoring from my HP Home Media Server.
    Downloading a new version of the PC Recovery Disc from Microsoft allowed me to restore my laptop.
    You can get it here Windows Home Server Home Computer Restore CD

Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:08 AM
  • Hey, I've got the same problem on a job I'm doing for a mate. Do you know if your fix above also works for Vista home premium?

Thanks,

Matt
    Sunday, March 29, 2009 10:56 AM

Thanks,

Matt
    Yes. The fix works for Vista Home Premium. This is a Vista Issue. The hotfix is here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946084/en-us

And the new restore CD is here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=26881305-91cc-4f37-b1fc-3813c423df2c,

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 4:13 PM