none
Error occurs when trying to Build

Question

• Can anyone offer a solution for the following error which occurs when trying to Build Solution :-

error MSB3482: An error occurred while signing: Failed to sign bin\Release\app.publish\DrawShapes.exe. SignTool Error: No certificates were found that met all the given criteria.
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Friday, July 29, 2016 4:08 PM

Answers

• This means that your Build task was configured to include a call to SignTool.exe to sign the executable DrawShapes.exe. When you invoke SignTool, you need to supply a series of parameters to tell it which certificate it should use for signing. The most simple is "SignTool sign /a file.exe" which means "use the most adequate certificate" (and it could fail if there is no adequate certificate), but you can also choose a specific certificate in other ways such as selecting the certificate store and the hash of the certificate. The error that you are seeing means that SignTool was unable to find in the machine where it is running a certificate that matches the requirements that you indicated in the command line to SignTool. You should review the build configuration and fix the arguments that it is passing to SignTool.
    Friday, July 29, 2016 8:44 PM

All replies

• This means that your Build task was configured to include a call to SignTool.exe to sign the executable DrawShapes.exe. When you invoke SignTool, you need to supply a series of parameters to tell it which certificate it should use for signing. The most simple is "SignTool sign /a file.exe" which means "use the most adequate certificate" (and it could fail if there is no adequate certificate), but you can also choose a specific certificate in other ways such as selecting the certificate store and the hash of the certificate. The error that you are seeing means that SignTool was unable to find in the machine where it is running a certificate that matches the requirements that you indicated in the command line to SignTool. You should review the build configuration and fix the arguments that it is passing to SignTool.
    Friday, July 29, 2016 8:44 PM
  • Many thanks Alberto.  I will look at the build configuration (if I can find it ??). I am fairly new to all this and have not done this "signng" before.
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Open the project properties (right-click on the project in Solution Explorer and select "properties"). Then go to the Build Events tab and see if there's anything there. Also, open the tab "Signing" and verify that you have not marked any of the "sign" checkboxes.
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:00 PM
  • Once again Alberto many thanks.I followed your directions and found in the Signing tab that there was one box that was ticked. I removed the tick and returned to try a Build. Hurrah !!! success this time there were no errors and a new 'exe' file was  in the bin/release folder on disc. It had the correct time created and it runs OK. 
    Saturday, July 30, 2016 3:30 PM