Left in an untenable position with unknowing XP "validation" RRS feed

• Question

• We purchased a PC for my daughter some 4 years ago with the Windows XP Home Edition operating system installed and it has been running well since and plays an active role in her graduate school work.  The other day, I clicked on the gold shield indicating that a Windows Update had been uploaded and was ready for installation, a process my daughter has followed routinely since we bought the PC.  The installation caused error messages to appear and planted the words, "This copy of Windows is not genuine.  You may be the victim of software counterfeiting."  It also rendered the Internet Explorer browser inoperable.  We have the original Windows XP Home Edition package provided with the PC as well as the original Windows XP Home Edition disk in its original white envelope and "OEM" sticker which is on the PC as requested.  I called Microsoft at 1-800-642-7676 to try to find out how to resolve the problem.  The call was answered in Bangalore, India and the rep advised the only resolution offered by Microsoft was to access web site http://GO.microsoft.com/FWLINK/?LINKID=5209 from the computer.  I repeated to the rep that Internet Explorer had been rendered inoperable and I could not access the web site.  He said he was not a technician and there was nothing he could do.  This is an exasperating mess!  What remedy can you offer?
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:03 PM

Answers

All replies

• Excuse me for being direct about this, they won't doing anything.

I repeated my problem to them, over, over, and again, they gave me a phone number and same place, they don't know or transfer you to someone, while you wait, the telephone dumps you.

They think there process is fool-proof.

Lets list something you could do:

1. Find someone that will understand, I doubt will happen, they like to overlook you, they think its fool-proof, the real person that understands is too busy doing  there job working on software that has no idea that this happening.

2. Buy a different Software, Unless you understand Linux 10.1 or Solaris 10 or many others and can get everything you need to use it, it might solve the problem.

3. Convince them someone is sending a virus or code, to make your computer look non-genuine, I doubt that will work, they think this is a perfect world and its fool-proof.

4. Buy Apple Computers they have a sale and reduced prices, I plan to buy one myself to see what its like, they say it rarely has problems, that it has a protection, that it is far better than any software, very possiblely be worth the effort and wonder why you ever thought Windows was good .

5. I pray you get better results and a solution to your problem, this software is over-priced, that some or most of the other software is far less than $100 .

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:33 PM
  • To recover from this error, please download and install: http://www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/windowsxp-kb905474-enu-x86_4bafa8793e8cdcaf4ba4ffc494df32d496154544.exe

Then re-boot Windows. Does this solve your problem?

Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:39 AM
  • A Microsoft software engineer called me and successfully walked me through the process to resolve this issue.  The heart of my problem came down to the fact that the PC was somehow displaying the wrong date.  Fixing the date, removing the WGA files and updating all the XP software confirmed the validity of my original XP Home Edition disk and the PC is now running like a charm again.  Unfortunately I had to go through a first step when I orginally called Microsoft and was connected to Bangalore.  The Microsoft rep in Bangalore was not the slightest bit helpful.
    Saturday, June 24, 2006 7:49 PM