Custom Workflow: timed-out at the Sandbox Client.System.TimeoutException RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

Currently we are working on CRM 2015 Online, we have a requirement to backfill a field, “new_UniqueNumber”. For that we have written a custom workflow (OnDemand|Async.). The WF expects to retrieves 3500+ records in a single go (considering RetriveMultiple limit 5000).

The WF only works for around 1600 records and then breaks into TimeOut exception :

Unhandled Exception:
    Microsoft.Crm.CrmException: The plug-in execution failed because the operation
    has timed-out at the Sandbox Client.System.TimeoutException: Microsoft Dynamics
    CRM has experienced an error.
       at Microsoft.Crm.Sandbox.SandboxCodeUnit.Execute(IExecutionContext context)
       at Microsoft.Crm.Workflow.Services.ProxyCustomActivity.Execute(CodeActivityContext
    executionContext)

Also, Instead of trying to work on all the records at once, we tried to do it in a batch (i.e. limiting query.PageInfo.Count) and using paging, but this didn’t helped.

What do you think?

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm not sure what kind of update you want - is it one-time update that will update some existing records? If yes - then you can develop SSIS package that will do it or .Net application.

Can you explain why you've used custom workflow activity and your exact scenario?

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 11:01 AM
    1. Yes, it is one time time update. (OnDemand for Back filling).
    2. a. There were limited records for around 7000 to update.
      b. Yes, we can use .Net App, But, what I am wondering was it would also need to invoke RetrieveMultiple.
    3. My concern is only that, why it didn't succeeded when we are approaching it in batches and  with Async win. service.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:01 AM
  • Hello,

In this case I would suggest to develop .Net application or use SSIS for enriching of records.

Async Service has own timeouts as well. You can get in touch with Microsoft to get more detailed information.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:54 AM
  • Sure, Thanks for your input Andrii. Much Appreciated.
    • Edited by Kunal_Goel Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:14 AM
    Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:13 AM
  • Sure, Thanks for your input Andrii. Much Appreciated.

Welcome. Feel free to mark my reply as answer if it answers your question.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    My blog

Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:45 AM