How do I replace a failed hard drive on a computer which is NOT the server. RRS feed

• Question

•  

I installed WHS last week and in the process of running backups on one of 4 computers on my home network, one of the older small Maxtor drives failed. It caused the system to hang and I had to manually shut down. When I rebooted into the bios the bios did not find the drive, nor obviously did the win xp home OS. I have basically given up hope that I will recover the data on that drive, but now that I have removed it from the computer, how do I safely and correctly get rid of the memory of it on the whs server?

I concurrently had another problem with the server storage. At least I think the problem is a lack of storage space because the backup process on my main computerproceeded to about 90% done and then would go no further. I think the server storage space was inadequate, so I disabled all backups on all 4 computers for the rest of the week until I could buy a new hard drive. The server originally had a 200 gig and a 40 gig drive installed. I decided to remove the 40 gig drive (I am letting that process happen now. I see where it says that I will not lose any data but that it may take several hours to complete.) Once that is done I will install a new 340 gig drive. Should I restart a new installation with the 340 gig drive as the system drive and the 200 gig as extra storage?  Will it make a big difference if I just add the one 340 gig driveas extra storage? What is the best way to proceed to do this if there is no great advantage to starting over with a new installation?

Thanks,

Steve Farrell

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:44 PM

Answers

• You need to make sure that the user name and password are identical on both WHS and the client PC. On WHS, you can't change the logon name for an account (this is what gets compared to the client PC). So if you have a user "Carol", with the logon name "carol" you can change the user's display name to "Bob", but the logon name will still be "carol". This is visible on the WHS Console User Accounts tab.

The equivalent on the client PC would be to use the User Accounts applet to change the name. That changes the display name from "Carol" to "Bob", but leaves the actual logon name as "carol". Normally you can't see this mismatch. To see it (and change the logon name) you can type "control userpasswords2" in the Run dialog. In the window that pops up, you can select the user account whose logon name you want to change, then click Properties. The "User name" field is the logon name; you will want to change this to match the logon name on WHS.

Note: if your users normally need to type their user name as well as their password to log on to their computer(s), this will change the user name that the user affected is typing.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 3:16 AM

All replies

• You may have to remove the client with the failed drive (this will delete it's backups too) from the console and re-add it, later, by re-installing the connector SW from the server. If you can't delete it, or the backups you can try this:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/showpost.aspx?postid=1896244&siteid=50&mode=1&sb=0&d=1&at=7&ft=11&tf=0&pageid=2

Yes, you might want to do a re-install with the larger drive being the system drive.

Hope that helps...

Monday, July 30, 2007 10:51 PM
  • Thank you for the prompt reply. I do not have much invested in the current backups, except for the vague hope that the failed drive may have some of its data backed up. I don't imagine there is any easy way to know this or to get the data back, so I will probably just do a clean install on the server with the larger drive as system drive. However do I need to delete all the whs files on the various clients after I uninstall the connector software?

Steve Farrell 

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:16 AM
  •  Steve Farrell wrote:

Thank you for the prompt reply. I do not have much invested in the current backups, except for the vague hope that the failed drive may have some of its data backed up. I don't imagine there is any easy way to know this or to get the data back, so I will probably just do a clean install on the server with the larger drive as system drive. However do I need to delete all the whs files on the various clients after I uninstall the connector software?

Steve Farrell 

No, you don't have to uninstall the connector at all. Just run C:\program files\windows home server\discovery.exe (on the clients) after the new server is built.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:36 AM
  • To see if anything was backed up from the failed drive, you can open up a backup from the machine with the failed drive, one that was done before the drive actually failed. You should be able to browse the backup of that drive.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:44 AM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    To see if anything was backed up from the failed drive, you can open up a backup from the machine with the failed drive, one that was done before the drive actually failed. You should be able to browse the backup of that drive.

Good catch, I assumed he had other backups of the data since he didn't seem too concerned about it.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:48 AM
  • I was never able to complete a backup of the failed drive. It failed in the course of the first attempt to run a backup. I assumed that there wouldn't be anything to backup from in this case.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:55 AM
  •  

I assumed I would have to begin the process from scratch as I am going to rebuild the OS on the server. If you say that I can leave the connector software installed and run "C:\program files\windows home server\discovery.exe" on the clients then I will try that.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:57 AM
  • Okay, I didn't know what the status of backups on that failed drive was. If you never got a complete backup, then there's nothing to examine on WHS. The backup is pretty much an "all or nothing" affair.

If you're going to rebuild the server, then I would use the 340 GB drive as the system drive. You could use the 200 GB drive instead, but the system drive is used for several things in a two disk WHS system that it's not used for in one with three or more disks. So better safe than sorry.

As for running discovery.exe after reinstalling WHS, you can try it. I don't know if it will work, though.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 4:22 AM
  • I installed the OS on the new larger drive and used the previous system drive to be formatted for server storage. All went well on that account, except that when I rebooted after re-arranging the drives, putting the former system drive in as slave (Jumper setting) and the 340 gb drive as cable select, the system booted to WHS on the old drive and I had to scratch my head for a minute to figure out what I did wrong. It turned out that I needed to hit F4 a couple of times during the bootup to avoid reading from the hard disks and then hit any key to boot from the cd. Once that was done it worked fine.

I had begun removing the whs connect software from the clients until I read the post about using the discovery.exe app in the whs folder. It worked for one machine that I had not uninstalled the connector software from yet, but not from the other machine which had the original failed Maxtor drive on it. I re-installed the connect SW and it worked fine. No problem either on box 3 of 4 which also required me to re-install, but my laptop refuses to run the installer.

I had installed it last week without incident, then I uninstalled it thinking a clean sweep was necessary. Now I get a weird error that just reads CopyFilewhen I try to run setup from the cd. I thought perhaps the cd was damaged so I burned another copy and got the same error. Thinking now I might have a hardware problem on the laptop, I decided to copy the files from the cd to a shared folder on the network and then transfer the files to the laptop. Did that without a problem, but when I try to run setup from within the folder on the laptop I get the same error - CopyFile.

Any clues here?

Thanks

Steve Farrell

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:46 PM
  •  Steve Farrell wrote:

I had installed it last week without incident, then I uninstalled it thinking a clean sweep was necessary. Now I get a weird error that just reads CopyFilewhen I try to run setup from the cd.

Any clues here?

Thanks

Steve Farrell

Don't install the connector from CD, install it from the Software share on your WHS, as Administrator. That will uninstall the current connector and install again.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:03 PM
  • I am sorry, but I don't know how to install it to the laptop if the laptop doesn't show up as a client in the whs. It seems like a catch 22. I have already uninstalled it from the laptop, but perhaps the registry values are still there and they are preventing it from being re-installed. I need more precise instructions to achieve what you suggest. I just checked and there are some entries in the registry of the laptop for Windows Home Server.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:20 PM
  •  Steve Farrell wrote:
    I am sorry, but I don't know how to install it to the laptop if the laptop doesn't show up as a client in the whs. It seems like a catch 22. I have already uninstalled it from the laptop, but perhaps the registry values are still there and they are preventing it from being re-installed. I need more precise instructions to achieve what you suggest. I just checked and there are some entries in the registry of the laptop for Windows Home Server.

Open Windows Explorer and, in the address bar, type \\server\Software\ (replacing "server" with the name of your server)
    You'll then see the connector folder where you'll find the installer.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 10:29 PM
  • I tried your suggestion. It took me a while to find the address bar because it isn't my default setting, but only 30 seconds or so. I found the folder after being prompted for the password but I got the same result when I try to run the software from the server.

Blue title bar says Setup.exe - Fatal Application Exit.

There is an i in a balloon with the words CopyFile next to it

Below that there is an OK button

I am tempted to export the whs registry key to the desktop as an experiment and try to run the install again.

What do you recommend?

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 11:04 PM
  • What OS is the laptop and are you logged in as Administrator?

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 11:17 PM
  • Laptop is running xp home and I am logged on with administrator privileges. I don't see any other account when I go to the switch user screen. I just checked the users applet in the control panel and Steve (me) is the only user marked as computer administrator. The guest account is inactive.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 11:31 PM
  •  Steve Farrell wrote:

Laptop is running xp home and I am logged on with administrator privileges. I don't see any other account when I go to the switch user screen. I just checked the users applet in the control panel and Steve (me) is the only user marked as computer administrator. The guest account is inactive.

I assume you've rebooted. As an administrator you should be able to install SW but if you're messing around in the registry without knowing what you're doing you could have broken something we're not aware of.

Try copying the entire connector folder and contents to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp and see if you can install from there or create a new admin user and try installing from the new account. There is an actual "Administrator" account, but it's hidden, do you know it's password?

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:10 AM
  • I did not mess around in the registry, but only looked to see if there was a key with values still in it for windows home server, as there are. I changed nothing in the registry directly.

I don't know the administrator password if it exists as other than blank. I don't see a user called administrator, but there is an owner account which is probably the hidden admin account. Is the default admin password usually password or admin or something obvious if it has not been set.

Anyway, I tried what you said. I set up a new user with admistrator privileges. Set the view options to show hidden files and folders. Went to \\server\software. Copied the folder "home server connector software" to the "C:\Documents and Settings\Admistrator2\local settings\Temp" folder, opened the folder and double clicked on Setup and got the same message as before.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:41 AM
  • If you didn't set one, it may be blank, but it should be synced the same as the WHS administrator password.

Try right clicking the setup.exe (on the share and select "Run as..." Select the "Following User' radio button, select administrator (see if the pass is blank) and try that.

Also, look in the Event Viewer and see if there are errors in the logs that give more detail.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 12:54 AM
  •  

I tried to logon as admin using a blank password, the server password, as steve with a blank password, and my usual password. No dice. I tried running it unchecking the box that says "Protect my computer from demons etc" but that did not work either.

The following is a representative portion of a file that was generated in the temp folder after attempting to run the setup.exe file. It is basically the same thing every time ending with these lines. I put the lines in italics.

20.35.51 7/31/2007 Checking for Q Server...
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Checking for 64-bit OS...
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Verified: not 64-bit OS
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Checking for .NET 2.0...
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 DotNet Reg Key is present: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Dotnet Install Value: rc=0, type=4, value=1
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Spawning DotnetChk...
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 DotnetChk returned 1
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Dotnet 2.0 detection result: 1
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Saving server path for WIX custom action...
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Saving log path for supportability...
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Creating client components log directory...
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Copying MSI from server to the local client temp location...
    20.35.51 7/31/2007 Failure 5 while copying MSI from C:\Documents and Settings\administrator2\Local Settings\Temp\Home Server Connector Software\WHSConnector.msi to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\WHSConnector.msi
    !!! Line 787 in file d:\qhsv1_rc\qhs\src\client\setup\setup.cpp :
    Fatal failure: CopyFile20.58.51 7/31/2007

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:22 AM
  • OK, lets try a drive cleanup and a reboot on the laptop.

START - RUN - %SystemRoot%\system32\cleanmgr.exe

Clean up the C drive, reboot and try installing from the software share again.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:24 AM
  • I am doing a disk cleanup now, but it's getting late here and I will be going to bed soon. I want to thank you for your help and your time. It's hopefully a problem that has a solution but as of right now, it's a curiosity. To quote Yul Brynner in "The King And I", "It's a puzzlement!"

Steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 3:21 AM
  • Did the disk cleanup, but no luck with the installation of the connector software. Same error message "copyfile".

In the meantime I had another exciting day here. The server went to 35% on a backup overnight and hung. I am not really surprised, in fact I have only succeeded at doing a backup of one computer twice thus far. When I went to check to see what the problem was I got the message that the new drive had failed and was "missing". I screen captured the message identifying the drive and went back to the shop for a replacement. I also became aware that the re-install I had done was not installed on the larger drive. WHS had decided in its wisdom that I wanted to keep the previous system installation and merely repair it while adding new storage.

This time when I installed I made sure that the drives were recognized in the bios and I almost had the same thing happen because of a quirk in the installation screen. It says NEW INSTALLATION but underneath it reads something about using this option to repair an existing installation. I clicked on the drop down menu to see what other options were there and I saw RESTORE or something like that. When I went back to the NEW INSTALLATION option the message had changed and I got a warning about the drives being formatted and losing all the data etc.

I proceeded with the install and all went well.

I used discovery.exe from the WHS folder in program files on the client computers that had the connector software still on them, but still no luck with the ornery laptop even after a cleanup.

I think it may require a more thorough cleaning with very specific folders and files to be removed and perhaps some registry cleaning as well.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Steve  

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:46 PM
  •  Steve Farrell wrote:

Did the disk cleanup, but no luck with the installation of the connector software. Same error message "copyfile".

In the meantime I had another exciting day here. The server went to 35% on a backup overnight and hung. I am not really surprised, in fact I have only succeeded at doing a backup of one computer twice thus far. When I went to check to see what the problem was I got the message that the new drive had failed and was "missing". I screen captured the message identifying the drive and went back to the shop for a replacement. I also became aware that the re-install I had done was not installed on the larger drive. WHS had decided in its wisdom that I wanted to keep the previous system installation and merely repair it while adding new storage.

This time when I installed I made sure that the drives were recognized in the bios and I almost had the same thing happen because of a quirk in the installation screen. It says NEW INSTALLATION but underneath it reads something about using this option to repair an existing installation. I clicked on the drop down menu to see what other options were there and I saw RESTORE or something like that. When I went back to the NEW INSTALLATION option the message had changed and I got a warning about the drives being formatted and losing all the data etc.

I proceeded with the install and all went well.

I used discovery.exe from the WHS folder in program files on the client computers that had the connector software still on them, but still no luck with the ornery laptop even after a cleanup.

I think it may require a more thorough cleaning with very specific folders and files to be removed and perhaps some registry cleaning as well.

Thanks for sticking with me.

Steve  

Well, I'm not sure what's going on with the laptop now but we know it's not WHS at least. Perhaps it's time to upgrade XP-Home to Pro. You'll be able to remote in using the WHS remote access with XP-Pro but not with XP-Home. Stick out tongue

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 11:10 PM
  • I think I will be saving my pennies for the release version of WHS before I lay out more cash for xp pro for a laptop that is already a couple of years old and that has seen better days. I hear you though, as regards being able to remotely access the server only with the pro version of xp  or the higher priced vista versions such as business or ultimate. The lack of remote connectivity is not likely to be a serious liability for me though, but it would be nice to have the option.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 2:16 AM
  •  Steve Farrell wrote:

I think I will be saving my pennies for the release version of WHS before I lay out more cash for xp pro for a laptop that is already a couple of years old and that has seen better days. I hear you though, as regards being able to remotely access the server only with the pro version of xp  or the higher priced vista versions such as business or ultimate. The lack of remote connectivity is not likely to be a serious liability for me though, but it would be nice to have the option.

Well, maybe a clean install of XP-Home is in order if nobody else has anything to add. I'm not thinking of any fixes at the moment and a XP install doesn't take too long. Sad

Thursday, August 2, 2007 3:30 AM
  • I tried to get rid of the Windows Home Server registry key by deleting it after exporting it to the desktop, and to delete the temp files in the users local settings folders. I also deleted the new administrator profile I had created on your suggestion seeing as how it was not effective. I then tried once more to run the installer from the \\server\software location but once again got the error message "copyfile".

I am stumped.

I will have to backup my data from the laptop and re-install xp-home. It's not too long a process, but what is long is installing and re-configuring and transferring back all the stuff I use on remote jobs. I was hoping to be able to take advantage of WHS to avoid all this extra work, but I guess not.

Thanks again for your help,

Steve Farrell

Friday, August 3, 2007 1:09 PM
  •  Steve Farrell wrote:

I was hoping to be able to take advantage of WHS to avoid all this extra work, but I guess not.

Thanks again for your help,

Steve Farrell

If you had WHS backups of laptop then it might have helped recover it, hopefully you wont have to worry about it again.

Friday, August 3, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Steve,

Just one more suggestion, if at all possible, after your backup you might try 'System Recovery.'  I've only used it a few times in the pass (with little success), nothing ventured nothing gained.  If you have any anti virus software running on the laptop, you should try disabling it during client install.

One other thought, if install continues to fail, I'd try the update/reinstall process before the scorched earth install.

Good luck to you,

You Can

Friday, August 3, 2007 8:09 PM
  • Unfortunately I never got a backup of the laptop in WHS.

Now I do have the three other computers backed up. I have transferred all the relevant data from the laptop to one of my desktop boxes and I am in the process of doing a factory reset. I haven't done it in a year at least, and while things have been OK, I think its good policy to reinstall every year or so just to clean out old *** you forgot you even had on the system. It takes a while to put the OS up to date again, but I figure it's about time anyway. Hopefully this will give me a fresh start on the client install for the connector software.

I presume that I should just try to install it from the cd as per the normal installation instructions?

Saturday, August 4, 2007 12:11 AM
  • I only have the factory reset option with this computer. I suppose I could have used one of my other install disks, but I had already finished the re-install before I read your posting. I think you made some good suggestions, but as I explained in my previous posting, I felt it was time to clear out some trash from the OS and this gave me an excuse to do it.

Thanks for your input.

Steve  

Saturday, August 4, 2007 12:15 AM
  •  Steve Farrell wrote:

Unfortunately I never got a backup of the laptop in WHS.

Now I do have the three other computers backed up. I have transferred all the relevant data from the laptop to one of my desktop boxes and I am in the process of doing a factory reset. I haven't done it in a year at least, and while things have been OK, I think its good policy to reinstall every year or so just to clean out old *** you forgot you even had on the system. It takes a while to put the OS up to date again, but I figure it's about time anyway. Hopefully this will give me a fresh start on the client install for the connector software.

I presume that I should just try to install it from the cd as per the normal installation instructions?

I prefer to install the connector from the Software share. YMMV.
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 1:51 AM
  •  

I am in the process of updating and re-installing software after multiple restarts and the mega download of service pack 2 I am now on update 28 of 79. Anyway the good new is that I succeeded in installing the connector software from cd. I am a little confused however with the password business and the user name business. I got a message saying that the passwords don't match between my client and the server and that I had to pick one for both. I decided to stick with the server password but somewhat reluctantly. I also keep getting messages that the server doesn't recognize the client and that I should create an account with a name that matches my computer user name (which is what I thought I did because of all these pesky messages the first few times around).

What does the server want from my poor life anyway!???

Saturday, August 4, 2007 2:34 AM
  •  Steve Farrell wrote:

What does the server want from my poor life anyway!???

Synchronicity. Wink
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 3:05 AM
  • Steve, one of the problems that some people have had with WHS is if they rename an account by using the User Accounts applet in Control Panel. Is it possible that the acocunt you're having problems with was renamed in this way?
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 4:05 AM
  • I used the whs server window not the control panel applet.

Sunday, August 5, 2007 3:51 AM
  • You need to make sure that the user name and password are identical on both WHS and the client PC. On WHS, you can't change the logon name for an account (this is what gets compared to the client PC). So if you have a user "Carol", with the logon name "carol" you can change the user's display name to "Bob", but the logon name will still be "carol". This is visible on the WHS Console User Accounts tab.

The equivalent on the client PC would be to use the User Accounts applet to change the name. That changes the display name from "Carol" to "Bob", but leaves the actual logon name as "carol". Normally you can't see this mismatch. To see it (and change the logon name) you can type "control userpasswords2" in the Run dialog. In the window that pops up, you can select the user account whose logon name you want to change, then click Properties. The "User name" field is the logon name; you will want to change this to match the logon name on WHS.

Note: if your users normally need to type their user name as well as their password to log on to their computer(s), this will change the user name that the user affected is typing.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 3:16 AM
  • Thank you, Ken, for clarifying this issue.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 3:25 AM