Tune-up reverses my settings RRS feed

• Question

•  

I keep turning off the pop-up blocker in IE 7, and OneCare keeps turning it back on. Is there any way to turn it off permanently other than uninstalling OneCare?

Similarly, I turned off the Phishing filter, and now I can't tell when I've missed a backup because the icon is always orange. How ca I tell OneCare that having the filter off is normal for my circle?

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:01 PM

Answers

• You can't. OneCare requires these to be on for safety. There is no configuration to allow them to be off.

-steve

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:36 PM

All replies

• You can't. OneCare requires these to be on for safety. There is no configuration to allow them to be off.

-steve

Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:36 PM
  • I don't know if the OP's situation is the same as mine, but I turn off the IE7 pop-up blockers for a very good reason...I use the one in Windows Live Toolbar which is the better pop-up blocker in my opinion.  It is funny that OneCare doesn't play nicely with this other MICROSOFT product.  Why not allow your users to choose what they would like to use rather than to force them to use what they choose for you (or at least they annoy users terribly if you DON'T do what they choose for you).  This really is an irritation for me since the message displays so often.  It doesn't just display ONCE when I open IE, (and I can't really figure out exactly WHAT prompts this message) and it doesn't happen just ONCE when I reboot my computer and start IE for the first time, and it doesn't just happen ONCE every time I open IE, but instead, it happens every few minutes or so and usually at the most inopportune times.  In my opinion, this needs to get fixed FAST.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:20 AM
  • I solved the problem by uninstalling OneCare and installing Symantec Internet Security. I give it high marks for "Plays well with others."

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:57 PM
  •  FritzS wrote:

I solved the problem by uninstalling OneCare and installing Symantec Internet Security. I give it high marks for "Plays well with others."

I'm sorry that you found that OneCare wasn't the solution for you, but I wouldn't say that your choice plays well with others as much as I'd say it allows you to configure your system to your liking - even if that means you won't be as secure as OneCare thinks you'll be by controlling those settings for you.

-steve

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 6:41 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:
     FritzS wrote:

I solved the problem by uninstalling OneCare and installing Symantec Internet Security. I give it high marks for "Plays well with others."

I'm sorry that you found that OneCare wasn't the solution for you, but I wouldn't say that your choice plays well with others as much as I'd say it allows you to configure your system to your liking - even if that means you won't be as secure as OneCare thinks you'll be by controlling those settings for you.

-steve

The reason that I need to control those settings is that I am in a better position to judge my security than OneCare is:

• I want to turn off the IE pop-up blocker because I have been using the Google tool bar for years. It has a superior implementation IMHO, and I don't need dueling features.
    • I want to turn off the phishing filter because I can recognize these attempts very easily and forward them to spoof@paypal.com or spoof@ebay.com. In addition quite a few come from hotmail or GMail and I make a practice of copying all the headers and forwarding it to Report_Spam@Hotmail.com, or abuse@google.com. The phishing filter gets in my way and generates unwanted net traffic.

Not allowing the use of alternate aproaches is, to my way of thinking, "Not playing well with others," and is something that has been cited as a MicroSoft failing many times in the past.

Fritz

Thursday, December 6, 2007 5:57 AM
  • I have to agree with you when you state that OneCare is not playing well with others.  In fact, I find it especially ironic that OneCare can't play nicely with Windows Live Toolbar considering that both are not onyl Microsoft products, but they are also both branded in the LIVE family.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 7:00 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback. I understand your points, but also believe that adding the ability to choose the protection adds complexity to the program and possible confusion for the typical user. There are always exceptions and perhaps we'll see this part of OneCare improved in the future.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 6:35 PM
  • Steve,

In my opinion, it's not a matter of ADDING support for Windows Live Toolbar into OneCare, but it IS a matter of REMOVING whatever it is in OneCare that is causing this problem.  This was not a problem in previous versions, so this is something that they have done more recently.  I don't consider this a helpful added feature in OneCare if it is making my computing life intolerable.

As to the confusion for the typical user, I think this problem makes things MORE confusing.  For example, my 69 year old mother doesn't know much about computers, but she really enjoys looking for recipes on the Food Network site.  She has been commenting lately about all of the popups (she was using IE popup blocker), so I went ahead and installed Windows Live Toolbar (she noticed the new "blocked" icon counter in WLT and it fascinates her).  Now, she gets far fewer popups with Windows Live Toolbar.  A few days ago, she mentioned this problem with the messages about choosing a popup blocker.  They happen more often than I think you understand.   On average (although I must explain that the timing is not consistent, nor does the initiating cause like opening a new window or opening a new tab, etc), it probably asks a user to choose a popup blocker about every ten minutes.  Does this sound like there is less confusion for the typical home user?  They have no way of knowing like we do what is causing these harrassing messages (OneCare tune-up).  A normal user would expect that they could choose their settings and they would stick, but that is not what is happening.

These are MY opinions and I don't want you to think that I am trying to argue with you.  You are a very helpful poster in Microsoft newsgroups and I know that this is not something YOU can't control.  That said, Microsoft needs to be aware of this problem and fix it.

Friday, December 7, 2007 9:24 AM
  • I don't take it as arguing at all - thanks for the comments, kkotzerina.

I think that OneCare 2.0's new feature, Performance Plus, is to blame for the Pop-up blocker setting check, but I can't be sure.

The Phishing filter forced to on or be yellow has been there since v1.5, but I don't recall OneCare doing anything about the Pop-up blocker.

On the PC I am currently at, I have the IE pop-up blocker enabled and the Windows Live Toolbar disabled, as I have always accepted the defaults for IE - turn on the blocker and then the default for the Toolbar which is to let IE take that duty. Assuming that it is Performance Plus that is now checking for a Popup blocker and only checking for the IE one, then I absolutely agree with you.

Thanks very much for the kind closing remarks, too.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 6:17 PM
  • I find it annoying that OC keeps turning on pop-up blocker. Pop-ups are annoying, but hardly a security risk in most cases. My bank delivers my confirmations in a pop-up window. How annoying when I transfer thousands of dollars between accounts and pop-up blocker kills my receipt.

I won't uninstall OC, but this needs to be changed in a future release. I think consumers know how to use a pop-up blocker.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 3:14 AM
  •  WinTek wrote:

I find it annoying that OC keeps turning on pop-up blocker. Pop-ups are annoying, but hardly a security risk in most cases. My bank delivers my confirmations in a pop-up window. How annoying when I transfer thousands of dollars between accounts and pop-up blocker kills my receipt.

I won't uninstall OC, but this needs to be changed in a future release. I think consumers know how to use a pop-up blocker.

In IE7, have you gone to the pop-up blocker settings and allowed popups from secure sites? Have you added your bank to the list of sites that you will accept pop-ups from?

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 12:55 PM
  • OneCare also seems to reset several of the changes that a user can make in Custom Level of Security options of IE7. The Popup Blocker thing is the most annoying, though, because turning it off in IE7 seems to be the best option as it has a bad habit of inadvertantly blocking everything. It would just be nice if OneCare would at least alert a user that it is modifying settings in other programs like IE that a user has changed. I don't like the idea that OneCare is making changes and not letting me know that it is doing so.

Friday, February 22, 2008 6:05 AM
  • When OneCare makes one of these changes, it is logged in the Support Log report, found by going to Change Settings, Logging, Create Support Log.

Click on Performance Plus in the report and scroll down to see the entries beginning: "Setting Fixed:"

-steve

Friday, February 22, 2008 4:10 PM
  • So basically you are saying that there is no way at this time to disable OneCare from automatically turing on IE's pop-up blocker. 

Sunday, March 2, 2008 11:09 PM
  • The method I used was to go to the "Programs and Features" section of Control Panel, select Microsoft OneCare and click on Uninstall. I then installed a competing product (in a yellow box) that was much better behaved. I had to walk away from the balance of my one year subscription.

Sunday, March 2, 2008 11:17 PM
  •  LoriF wrote:

So basically you are saying that there is no way at this time to disable OneCare from automatically turing on IE's pop-up blocker. 

Yes, that's correct, Lori.

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:49 AM
  • There is a fix. Install the final version of SAFARI for windows!
    Turn off the popup blocker. No stupid phishing filter.
    Safari Runs 3x faster, as there is no phishing filter.
    One care icon stays green.
    If OneCare start messing with Safari, then I will uninstall OneCare
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 6:19 PM
  • You can install any number of alternative browsers if desired.

-steve

Monday, April 14, 2008 6:30 AM