Remote Desktop Connection - Meet Us Half-way! RRS feed

• Question

• As we all know, RDC to non-pro versions of XP & Vista is probably never going to happen via WHS.

WHS Team - How about meeting us half way?  For most of us who desire RDC into our client computers, were looking for some functionality or control of the client computer from a remote location, and when you get right down to it, this does not have to come from seeing the actual screen.

This functionality does not have to be provided by RDC, but a decent set of functions could be provided in a similar way that Remotely Anywhere provides them via a web-based interface.  Kinda like if I get a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, do I really need AAA, or can I use a can of fix-a-flat' to make it home?..

Ex.  Allow the user to start or shut down a program or service on a client computer, (set-up in advance, added to a list, from the Connector on the client)

Ex.  An applet capable of displaying task-manager type info for the client computer - this must be possible because there are a ton of Vista Gadgets that display CPU usage, Memory Usage, Drive Space, etc., and these gadgets are all HTML based.

Ex. Access to the file system on the client computers.

Ex. Allow for the shut-down or re-boot of a client computer.

The WHS-Client computer communication needed for these types of functions could be part of the Connector, allowing the user to set up permissions for folder access, to define a list of applications and services that can be controlled remotely, etc.  Since the Connectors talk to the WHS, and when you log onto your wxyz.homesorver.com web site, the web site is being served by the WHS, this data should be easily passed to the user, as it is with Remotely Anywhere!

This setup takes the Vista Team out of the argument, the WHS could handle this completely without even giving the Vista Team the time of day (i.e the argument that - "The WHS team requested this capability from the Vista Team and they got shot down") blah, blah, blah....

Your thoughts.

(Suggested via Connect - ID=322761)

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:07 PM

All replies

• You can control a machine from a remote,  by using the browser to https://<Name>.homeserver.com  to then see a computer tab which can access the client machine as long has you added your user login name to the machine and allow remote desktop.

You can also resolve the following issue by pressing Ctrl + Alt +End while in a remote desktop connection

Ex.  Allow the user to start or shut down a program or service on a client computer, (set-up in advance, added to a list, from the Connector on the client)

Ex. Allow for the shut-down or re-boot of a client computer.

And if you got access to the machine then you can execute the following :

Ex.  An applet capable of displaying task-manager type info for the client computer - this must be possible because there are a ton of Vista Gadgets that display CPU usage, Memory Usage, Drive Space, etc., and these gadgets are all HTML based.

Ex. Access to the file system on the client computers.

I hope I've understood correctly,  if not please let me know.

cheers

Saturday, January 19, 2008 6:52 PM
  •  spikeybabe wrote:

You can control a machine from a remote,  by using the browser to https://<Name>.homeserver.com  to then see a computer tab which can access the client machine as long has you added your user login name to the machine and allow remote desktop.

I think you misunderstood, or are unaware that you CANNOT remote access a machine that is running a non professional Windows OS version, i.e. you can't access, XP Home, Vista Basic, and Vista Home Premium (without hacking system files - which as we know is not legal)

That's the whole point of this thread.  Misrosoft is not likely to add this feature to XP Home, Vista Basic, and Vista Home Premium.

Your suggestions only work if you remote access to XP Pro, Vista Business, Ultimate, or one of the server versions (2003, 2008...)

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:33 PM
  • I agree that it is somewhat odd that Windows *Home* Server requires you to upgrade your Vista Home 'Premium' machines to Vista Business Edition or Vista Ultimate before you can manage them remotely; you'd think Microsoft might throw us a bone?!
    Friday, February 8, 2008 12:16 PM
  • As has been mentioned many many times on these forums, the decision about supporting RDC capabilities in different versions of Vista is the decision of the Vista team and not the WHS team. I know that the WHS team tried to get someone sorted and it didnt work, and I know if they could change that they would in a second.

Would everyone be making these comments if Vista Home Premium was actually just called Vista Premium?

Andrew

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:07 PM
  • Irrespective of which team is responsible it's little consolation to the customer, but I understand your point.  I'm glad they at least tried to do something about it.  I guess as usual it will be left to the community to work around these issues.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 3:27 PM
  • I know its not the answer that people want to hear, but if that is a feature of your desktop operating system you need, then you should upgrade to a version that supports the feature you need, which will then enable it to be suppored on your WHS.

But that does mean spending more money just for a single feature, which I can certainly understand people not wanting to do.

Andrew

Friday, February 8, 2008 3:33 PM
  • As has been mentioned before, if RDP is required, there are numerous programs, both free and paid for, which can give you the required control. In fact, some of them could well be preferable to Microsoft's implementation in so far as security or available functions.

Colin

Friday, February 8, 2008 6:09 PM
  •  ColinWH wrote:

As has been mentioned before, if RDP is required, there are numerous programs, both free and paid for, which can give you the required control.

Which probably most of us early adopters know about, but with which WHS does not integrate with out of the box; see earlier point made regarding community being left to work out the issues.  And woe betide you if you have a problem, as you're quite likely to receive a terse response in these forums.

Sorry I don't want to come off as biting anyones head off; I appreciate the responses so far, but lets not loose sight of the fact that this is a suggestions forum, and the feedback is : WHS is supposedly targeting homes, yet the remote computer admin feature requires Vista Business edition (or 'better').  That's the feedback.  Microsoft can ignore it or act on it to make their product better / more cohesive.  In the meantime the community will recommend solutions/workarounds etc. as you have done.
    Friday, February 8, 2008 6:20 PM
  • Code Snippet

As ColinWH mentioned "there are numerous programs, both free and paid for, which can give you the required control."

For Example, I have used the free service from http://logmein.com that has worked out very good for accessing 3 vista home premium machines at home.  Initially, you sign-up for the 30-day evaluation of their professional product and after the 30 days you are downgraded to their free product that allows you to remotely control the remote PC.  I have been using it for the past 3 months and haven't had an issue using the service.  I haven't tried this, but Steve VanHorn has an addin called Website Manager aka Add Website to add links to websites on the home page for home server (http://www.wegotserved.co.uk/windows-home-server-add-ins/)  so you could add a link to http://www.logmein.com to the whs home page and remotely control your vista home machines from there.
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 12:48 AM